DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-24-2008, 11:14 AM
keaganobrien keaganobrien is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 37
Default evans retro screen?

I just saw this- and I was in the market for a new resonate head. The description sounds tasty- right up my alley... just wondering if anyone had experience with them?

Would be going on a 22''x18'' maple kick with coated emad on the batter. felt single beater

Last edited by keaganobrien; 05-24-2008 at 11:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-24-2008, 08:47 PM
Skitch's Avatar
Skitch Skitch is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Nashville
Posts: 2,737
Default Re: evans retro screen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keaganobrien View Post
I just saw this- and I was in the market for a new resonate head. The description sounds tasty- right up my alley... just wondering if anyone had experience with them?

Would be going on a 22''x18'' maple kick with coated emad on the batter. felt single beater

If you are going to do this, I believe that I saw one with a factory hole in it. THis is what you want if you are going to be playing live because you need the kick drum to mic'ed from inside the drum. You can go with the full screen but then you will need to run an internal MAYEA mic. I have seen more than one drummer use the full screen live and have feedback problems because the soundman couldn't get the mic inside the drum.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-25-2008, 06:56 AM
Les Ismore's Avatar
Les Ismore Les Ismore is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 3,437
Default Re: evans retro screen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keaganobrien View Post
I just saw this- and I was in the market for a new resonate head. The description sounds tasty- right up my alley... just wondering if anyone had experience with them?

Would be going on a 22''x18'' maple kick with coated emad on the batter. felt single beater
Loud, tight and cutting, no boominess. Slight feedback compared to no head at all in the air-compression department. Get an internal mic, more better.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-25-2008, 10:12 AM
keaganobrien keaganobrien is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 37
Default Re: evans retro screen?

Yeah, I am assuming that I can't cut a soundport because it's mesh or whatever, correct? I need a soundport... I play out quite a bit.

Am I getting this right?; It's basically like having no resonant head aside from a bit of omph?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-26-2008, 07:11 AM
Les Ismore's Avatar
Les Ismore Les Ismore is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 3,437
Default Re: evans retro screen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keaganobrien View Post
Yeah, I am assuming that I can't cut a soundport because it's mesh or whatever, correct? I need a soundport... I play out quite a bit.

Am I getting this right?; It's basically like having no resonant head aside from a bit of omph?
If you 'play-out' quite a bit, consider an internal mic.

Yes the sound of Retro Screen is like no front head at all. 'Retro' as in 60's-70's single head sound, the kick wave goes right through your bones, penetrating low-end. Opposite of a round, front head sound that hits you like a balloon.

They make ported versions, you don't want to cut a hole, its a mesh head. Being a mesh head, there's a 'little' air resistance, not like no front head where there is zero resistance. Straight on it looks transparent, get about 30 degrees off-axis and it looks solid, like a full front head.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-26-2008, 11:23 AM
Green_Shoes's Avatar
Green_Shoes Green_Shoes is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 437
Default Re: evans retro screen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
If you 'play-out' quite a bit, consider an internal mic.

Yes the sound of Retro Screen is like no front head at all. 'Retro' as in 60's-70's single head sound, the kick wave goes right through your bones, penetrating low-end. Opposite of a round, front head sound that hits you like a balloon.

They make ported versions, you don't want to cut a hole, its a mesh head. Being a mesh head, there's a 'little' air resistance, not like no front head where there is zero resistance. Straight on it looks transparent, get about 30 degrees off-axis and it looks solid, like a full front head.
How would attach an internal mic?
__________________
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-27-2008, 08:00 PM
Les Ismore's Avatar
Les Ismore Les Ismore is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Location, Location!
Posts: 3,437
Default Re: evans retro screen?

How would attach an internal mic?

Very carefully, proceed with caution. If and when, this would get posted on Deathmetalcongs Mod thread.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-28-2008, 07:35 AM
Skitch's Avatar
Skitch Skitch is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Nashville
Posts: 2,737
Default Re: evans retro screen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green_Shoes View Post
How would attach an internal mic?
Interstate music sells the MAYEA internal micing system:



http://http://www.interstatemusic.co...&storeId=10051

or

http://www.interstatemusic.com/webap...ategoryDisplay


Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com