DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-20-2008, 04:45 PM

Default Bit Of Drum Module Advice Please =]

Just bought me some ddrum acoustic pro triggers.

Wondering what module would be best suited. I have a roland TD-3 which works quite well. I will be using it for gigging though so a rack mounted one would be better.

I'm been hearing lots of great things about the Alesis DM Pro module but they are an absolute nightmare to find anywhere.

There are however plenty of the Alesis DM 5 modules around.

Would it be worth hunting for a DM Pro or are the sounds good enough on the DM 5 as well as optopns to adjust settings. Crosstalk, sensitivity etc.

I'm quite a hard hitter so adjustments in the sensitivity area is a must.

Also, does it help to have skins quite "dead" feeling to help with the triggers??
Old 05-24-2008, 10:43 AM

Default Re: Bit Of Drum Module Advice Please =]

i went through the same thing as yourself!!

I bought a bass and snare trigger, then bought an alesis dm5.

tbh... i hate the Dm5. The amount of time needed to fne tune the triggers, especialy for snare and toms.

The alesis dm5 is fine with a full set of triggers when its on you own kit (and tight skins do help, as it stops the dm5 double triggering), but as soon as you whack your triggers on another persons kit, they miss trigger sooo much, and when ur all settin up ur gear ready to play ur set, u aint got time to mess about with the settings.

I bought a Roland TD-8 electric kit, second hand in mint condition from a pawn shop about a year ago (haha lol) and now my alesis acts as a back up in the back of my cuboard. The rloads was amazing. just put the triggers on n e kit, no miss triggerin, no nothing.and i customised a sick sound for every drum!! They dont d the TD-8 anymore, so buy the TD-6, cos there r sum kick ass sounds on there!

hope this helps!

Old 05-24-2008, 09:54 PM

Hey man, cheers for that. I usually use my own kit at gigs so should be cool.

After all the faffing though, once youve adjusted the sensitivity, tightened skins etc.

Does it sound sweet though when all thats done?

Just checked your myspace, is sweet. Notice your from south wales.

My old band spent a lot of time down there in swansea at the mighty atom studios. Nice place.

Cheers for the help =]
Old 05-25-2008, 08:05 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhollywood View Post
Just bought me some ddrum acoustic pro triggers.

Wondering what module would be best suited. I have a roland TD-3 which works quite well. I will be using it for gigging though so a rack mounted one would be better.

I'm been hearing lots of great things about the Alesis DM Pro module but they are an absolute nightmare to find anywhere.

There are however plenty of the Alesis DM 5 modules around.

Would it be worth hunting for a DM Pro or are the sounds good enough on the DM 5 as well as optopns to adjust settings. Crosstalk, sensitivity etc.

I'm quite a hard hitter so adjustments in the sensitivity area is a must.

Also, does it help to have skins quite "dead" feeling to help with the triggers??
Well,

I was backstage at REO Speedwagon a couple of weeks ago Brian Hitt uses a DM-Pro fora few things because they are so reliable which I would have to second. The Roland unit they were using was pretty unreliable (TD-10, I think). The DM5 would be just fine as I have used these in the past with the Ddrum triggers and, no, I didn't need to muffle the drums down.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw