DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 05-14-2008, 12:56 AM

Default Calf Skin Heads

I have been looking @ Earthtone Drumheads website and their heads look great. The MD review is glowing... Has anybody has had any experience with these? Quality, duribility,performance etc...
Old 05-14-2008, 01:09 AM

Default Re: Calf Skin Heads

They are pricey if it were me i would just use remo fyberskins.
They cost much less and comparing the sounds on the website (limited perspective i know)
and the remo fyberskins that my concert band uses i would go for the fyberskins any day.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:46 AM
Silver Member

Legitimate calf skin heads, are a pain in the posterior. Mainly because you will find yourself tuning very often because the weather has such a huge effect on the head, And if it is a wet day, you can just forget about trying to get a decent tone out of it. Then there is the price, a complete and tucked snare head alone will cost about $100, out fit your entire kit and your are spending a small fortune,

However despite all this, on the right conditions, the tone of a calf head is so much nicer sounding than plastic, and the feel, well it is just gravy. Sure you can't play up a storm like on plastic, but damn when you got such a great sound coming out, you don't need to.

Now Earthtone heads are actually goat skin heads and not calf. The weather does not effect them that bad, so even in some cruddy wet conditions they can sound great. Still, they do more re tuning then a plastic head. They have that true calf skin feel and sound though. A snare head will run you about $32, so outfitting a kit can get costly.

Just try one head out and see how you like it.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:52 AM
jay norem

Calf skin heads. While we're at it, why don't we also go back to outhouses and biplanes?
Old 05-14-2008, 03:53 AM

my friend had some and they are great but expensive. he said he tuned them a lot though. i would stick to plastic but if i had the cash i may get them. Also Jay Norem your really getting on my nerves
Old 05-14-2008, 03:57 AM
jay norem

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar442 View Post
Also Jay Norem your really getting on my nerves
I apologize for that. I'm not at all trying to. You're just going to have to believe me.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:00 AM

alright kool srry i just have a short patients when people dont help out people are rude . i may not seem like that person but hey
Old 05-14-2008, 04:04 AM
jay norem

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar442 View Post
alright kool srry i just have a short patients when people dont help out people are rude . i may not seem like that person but hey
We're cool. I very much admire your passion for drumming.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothJazz View Post
Legitimate calf skin heads, are a pain in the posterior. Mainly because you will find yourself tuning very often because the weather has such a huge effect on the head, And if it is a wet day, you can just forget about trying to get a decent tone out of it. Then there is the price, a complete and tucked snare head alone will cost about $100, out fit your entire kit and your are spending a small fortune,

However despite all this, on the right conditions, the tone of a calf head is so much nicer sounding than plastic, and the feel, well it is just gravy. Sure you can't play up a storm like on plastic, but damn when you got such a great sound coming out, you don't need to.

Now Earthtone heads are actually goat skin heads and not calf. The weather does not effect them that bad, so even in some cruddy wet conditions they can sound great. Still, they do more re tuning then a plastic head. They have that true calf skin feel and sound though. A snare head will run you about $32, so outfitting a kit can get costly.

Just try one head out and see how you like it.
thankyou..thats very useful info...it would be great to have a set even if was just for recording purposes
Old 05-16-2008, 10:11 PM
Pioneer Member

I think I would like to try one some time. I know for a fact that you will have to retune Fiberskyns a lot too. I had them all over my kit about a year ago, and I played gigs outside. I would tune them inside and when they got out there in the heat and humidity they sounded dead. One time it rained and one got a little wet and it started bubbling. Not the best head choice...