DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 04-22-2008, 11:51 PM

Default Mesh heads

Hi there,
Im looking to get a set of mesh heads for my acoustic kit and replace the normal skins i already on them for the mesh ones. I was wondering whether anybody could tell me the best mesh heads to go for and maybe abit of backup info about them.
Many thanks
gazz.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:54 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Mesh heads

Im too also curious about mesh heads, there are a couple of threads suggesting them and not many reviews online but so far Ive heard that the pearl mesh heads are nice and I know the teacher from "MetroDrums" on youtube uses them and I hear slight tone coming from his drums as long as you keep the bottom heads on.

Im just curious is if their is any other brands that are maybe worth while.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:34 AM

ahhhhh great ok, yeah ive also been looking around the web and theres hardly any articles or anything on mesh heads. I saw on mikedolbear.com that someone spoke highly of Hart Magnum mesh heads. Apparently there meant to be brilliant. Personally I just didnt want to go out and get a set of mesh heads and not knowing how to put them on properly and split them within a few minutes.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:45 PM

A few weeks ago I assembled a mesh-headed practice kit to set up in the basement so as not to irritate the neighbors. I bought a cheap Taye kit (a RockPro with 22" bass, 14" snare, and 12, 13, 16 toms) and outfitted it with the Hart Magnum mesh heads on the batter sides. I left the reso heads as the stock ones.

The volume is very low. My wife can watch TV on the first floor and doesn't hear much of anything...at least not enough to complain about (and belive me she'd complain if she heard more than a whisper of sound). She doesn't hear anything at all on the 2nd floor.

Sound-wise, the bass and toms give a nice tone that represents the drum sizes. I can't seem to get the snare dialed in too well, however. The snare sound is very rattly and not articulate at all. I'm assuming the different air movement and vibrations of the batter mesh head vs. a regular one is slowing the response and making the reso head vibrate more post-strike. Its been fine for stuff like working on jazz independence exercising like playing out of Ted Reed's "Syncopation" as I'm just tapping on the snare here and there. But if I want to do anything else I find myself turning the snares off as the poor articulation of the snare sound gets rather maddening.

Feel-wise, the heads are actually better than I thought they'd be. You put them on and tighten them down like any regular drum head. I have the snare cranked nice and tight like my normal snare, and have the toms tightened down to about the same "give" that the toms on my real set have. They feel pretty close to real heads, maybe somewhat more "bouncy" feeling but not so different that you feel like yourre wasting your time.

I went with the Hart Magnums since they were available in the sizes of my drums, and they seemed to get the best comments and reviews out of what was all out there. There is a lot of talk about mesh heads over in the DIY forum at vdrums.com and I got the opinion that the Hart and Roland heads are pretty much the best bets in terms of durability and feel. I got the feeling from my research that they should last as long, if not longer, that normal heads so long as you aren't playing them with sticks with chipped or roughed-up tips and such. There's guys proclaiming to be "hard-hitters" and playing on the same heads for years.

It is recommended that for the bass drum head that you use some sort of falam patch, or the lifetime of the bass drum head will be extremely short. I stuck one on and have had no issues.

I picked up some of the new HQ Percussion cymbal and hit-hat mutes for my cymbals and I really like them. These are a hard rubber that fits over part of the top of the cymbals. The sound of strikes is dead and not cymbal-like at all, but the feel is MUCH better than the Sound-off or other softer mutes (which I used in the past) whichi are squishy-feeling. With these you even get a bit cymbal sound when you shirp the hi-hat with your foot, which I like. Here's a link to the one's I'm talking about:

http://namm.harmony-central.com/SNAM.../SoundOff.html

I hope to, sometime in the near future, get an edrum brain and outfit the drums and cymbals for a DIY edrum set.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:44 AM

wow thankyou very much, you've been a great help
Old 05-15-2008, 07:08 PM

I got some UFO heads for my Ekit

http://www.ufodrums.com/meshheads.htm

The guy is named Mitch and he is out of TX I think, real good guy to deal with and his product and prices are amoung the best! Plus his mesh heads are black!