DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 05-11-2008, 11:18 PM

Default Why Do Yamaha Bass Drums Have Holes Right in the Middle?

Just what the subject asks... I've been only playing about 2 years now, and usually I see a small 4 inch hole cut offset to the center. I'm looking to upgrade to a new set and I've looked at Yamaha. For some reason, it looks like a lot of their bass drums have holes cut directly in the middle of the resonant head. I thought that wasn't preferable. Is this just a thing with Yamaha drums, or do other drummers do it with other drums as well? Thanks!
Old 05-12-2008, 05:31 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Why Do Yamaha Bass Drums Have Holes Right in the Middle?

Ummm why don't you just get a new reso head if you get a yamaha?
Old 05-12-2008, 06:02 AM
Platinum Member

Yamahas come with stock unported resos. Any holes that you might see ( except for Recording Customs maybe, because it is a historic look ), are cut by the retailer to give the drum kit a 'look'.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:44 AM
Platinum Member

My Absolute Maple came with a black resonant (front) head with NO holes pre-cut. Yamaha sends a circle cut-out tool so that the drummer/owner can choose where to place the open/mic hole.

The only high-end Yamaha drums I know of that have pre-cut bass drum holes are the Recording Customs, which are larger and in the center.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertM View Post
My Absolute Maple came with a black resonant (front) head with NO holes pre-cut. Yamaha sends a circle cut-out tool so that the drummer/owner can choose where to place the open/mic hole.

The only high-end Yamaha drums I know of that have pre-cut bass drum holes are the Recording Customs, which are larger and in the center.
Cutting the hole off-center in the RC's is an effort by Yamaha to save their workers from certain and premature death.

You see, cutting the hole in the center dimishes the sound quality of the drum, but since we are talking RC's here, when you diminish their sound quality they begin to sound like every other manufacturers drums... If they sent them out sounding full and rich straight from the factory, everyone would want a set.., thereby necessitating the need for their workers to work 20+ hour workdays, 7 days a week. Also, the lack of sales for all other drum manufacturers would result in their having to close up shop, and sending all of their employees into the welfare lines...

So, Yamaha cuts a hole in the center of their Recording Customs in a noble effort to save the world.

Easy!
Old 05-12-2008, 08:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
danander11
Re: Why Do Yamaha Bass Drums Have Holes Right in the Middle?
Quote:

Cutting the hole off-center in the RC's is an effort by Yamaha to save their workers from certain and premature death.

You see, cutting the hole in the center dimishes the sound quality of the drum, but since we are talking RC's here, when you diminish their sound quality they begin to sound like every other manufacturers drums... If they sent them out sounding full and rich straight from the factory, everyone would want a set.., thereby necessitating the need for their workers to work 20+ hour workdays, 7 days a week. Also, the lack of sales for all other drum manufacturers would result in their having to close up shop, and sending all of their employees into the welfare lines...

So, Yamaha cuts a hole in the center of their Recording Customs in a noble effort to save the world.

Easy!
Ha!! Yamaha could rule the world, but decides to be nice!