DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 05-09-2008, 12:42 AM

Default Remote Hi-Hats: best set-up near bass pedal

Hey Guys-

I currently have the left pedal of my IC double bass pedal set up as close and even as possible to my IC hi-hat stand, so that I am able to hit both pedals at the same time (a la Dennis Chambers, close hat and hit BD with one left foot stroke). I'd like to get a remote hi-hat so that I can set up the pedal just to the right of the main bass pedal so that I'm able to occassionally do the same thing with my right foot.

So I am wondering what remote hi-hat pedals are made to fit in that tight space between the bass pedal and bass drum while being as flush/level as possible with my IC pedal. I've already learned more from the great info on handidrummed.com but still am not sure whats best for this specific positioning.

It seems that the DW and Pearl remote hats are supposed to work best but they both have two legs which would be in the way of the bass drum. (Can these legs be removed without sacrificing stability and staying power?) The Yamaha and Tama pedals don't have those legs, but that makes me wonder how they stay in place AND I heard that Tama no longer makes them.

Any info is very much appreciated. Thanks,

Alex

[SORRY: I posted this in the wrong forum earlier but didn't know how to move it]
Old 05-09-2008, 03:28 AM

Default Re: Remote Hi-Hats: best set-up near bass pedal

I use the Pearl remote as my main hat, with both legs removed. If you keep the cable under control it's plenty stable with no legs. They're very easy to remove.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:47 AM

I have the DW one and it's legs can rotate to move out of the way
Old 05-09-2008, 03:54 PM

I've got a DW unit also, and that's one reason it's not my main hat; the legs are not removable, and in a really tight space they still take up too much room. Also, it feels sloppier than the Pearl, to me.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:16 AM

Cool, thanks Xush and Taylor.

Does anyone have the Yamaha or Tama remote hats (or others that don't have legs on pedals) and know how stable they are with a lot of foot action and splashing?

I'm thinking I'll either get the Pearl and remove its legs or get the Yamaha if its footboard has staying power.