DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 07-19-2007, 10:53 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Tommy Lee

Thats really cool! That kit has some great history.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:49 PM

Tommy's pretty tight but why does he and other old fart rockers cater to this fake rock and roll crap. That chick looks like the creation of an mtv exec at a brainstorm session. Mtv culture needs to go away...NOW.

---LG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Ever heard "Higher Ground" from the Red Hot Chili Peppers with Tommy on drums?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8iZuPb8EyU

Best Regards
mayhem
Old 07-20-2007, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by negativeattitude View Post
Just thought I'd contribute a few Tommy kit pics. This is his Sonor kit from the first part of the T.O.P. tour (before he switched to Pearl) along with a Girlsx3 snare that was up for sale a while back. I checked the story with Tommy's sis and she confirmed that they were the real deal. She said that Tommy gave them to her years ago and her husband James Kottak (Scorpions) cleaned out the storage where they were at last year and they decided to sell them. She speaks about them in the issue of DRUM with Tommy on the cover. They sold for $2700.00. The kicks are reversed in these pics. I wanted them, but at the time I couldn't afford them.
I would kill for something like that!!!! Do you know who has them now??? Do ya have any specs???
Old 07-20-2007, 02:50 PM

If ever he wants to sell, let him know I'm interested for sure!!!!
Old 07-27-2007, 12:56 AM
nhzoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyDrumma View Post
I think Tommy Lee is a great rock drummer/performer. He has tons of energy behind the kit and a great entertainment factor. Very solid rock drummer as far as I'm concerned. I gotta laugh when Virgil and Weckl wannabe's that sit around practicing 14 hours a day run there mouths about how rock guys like Tommy and Barker "s u c k". Been through that phase in my drumming life and soo glad i'm out of it. Tommy is a damn good rock drummer and no drum nerd playing 15 hours a day in their basement is gonna convince me otherwise :)
Well said! And we all know who these nerds are without having to mention their names.

The thing I don't get is you see a thread Named Tommy lee who you obviously don't like for whatever reason and yet you feel you need to share that with those who enjoy the guy so much that they made a thread about him...Thats Nice nerds.

I don't enjoy watching Donati play but you won't see my name in the Virgil Donati thread..
Old 07-27-2007, 03:51 AM

kudos to Danny as well!!!

You can't deny the sound of Tommy's rock beats.
You can't deny the talent of Travis Barker either.... seriously I think he is a great drummer some of his bootleg stuff is SICK!
I would rather watch and listen to Robert, Tommy, or Travis play live than any odd time, wonderful technically perfect noodle geek, any day of the week.

Last edited by chipritter; 07-27-2007 at 04:01 AM. Reason: way too much info
Old 07-30-2007, 08:22 PM

BTW, an anagram of his name is 'Motley, Me'. Coincidence?
Old 08-14-2007, 03:11 AM

i enjoyed tommy lee for a while there havent gone much on him latley but not saying his a great rock drummer he has some great grooves and beats but he has gone electronic........
Old 09-07-2007, 08:23 PM

Tommy Lee is a very very very good guy in real life. I know a few people who know and met him, and say you couldnt know a better person.
A far as a drummer, ok lets be real, out of ALL THE HAIR metal bands in the 80's who was a great god of drumming?!??!? The music was hard but simple, and it was more of a stage act/show more than anything. I dont know if the parts were played any different that the music or the drummer would have been better!

Tommy though is a character and has had success on t.v. and of course being married to Pam Anderson... So it definitly helps the drum companys who want to endorse him...

Its a business, and companies wanna make money... And they know the way they will do this is to put guys who are familiar behind their products... Tre' Cool, Tommy Lee, Travis Barker...
Old 09-14-2007, 02:12 AM
Silver Member

I've seen Tommy play twice and both times I was really impressed. He's a great showman and I didn't think that his groove suffered because it. I remember back in 1984 when I was trying to learn what "groove" was all about, my buddy said listen to this. It was Too Young To Fall In Love. I still listen to that "simple" beat which starts the song and Tommy really lays down a nice groove.

The upside down drum rig was really entertaining too. They harnessed him in there and he was grunting and talking throughout the drumsolo. Very cool!
Old 09-15-2007, 04:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingerland755 View Post
Too Young To Fall In Love. I still listen to that "simple" beat which starts the song and Tommy really lays down a nice groove.
Nothing compares to hearing that song live. I saw them twice on the recent C.O.S. tour. His kit is so boomy!
Old 09-15-2007, 05:24 AM
Platinum Member

tommy quit motley crue the other day. :( im just glad that i got to see him play twice on the cos tour. it was great.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorx View Post
tommy quit motley crue the other day. :( im just glad that i got to see him play twice on the cos tour. it was great.
Actually, there have been some press releases stating that he retracted his resognation ------> http://www.nme.com/news/motley-crue/31122

We have to wait to see how it turns out.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
Actually, there have been some press releases stating that he retracted his resognation ------> http://www.nme.com/news/motley-crue/31122

We have to wait to see how it turns out.
thats awesome because i wanna here the new album that was sapose to be out by this time.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorx View Post
thats awesome because i wanna here the new album that was sapose to be out by this time.
Me too buddy! With songs like Sick Love Song and If I Die Tomorrow you can tell thier sound is much more heavier and focused. Tommy's drumming is alot stronger too. I really wanna hear a new album.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:31 PM
Gold Member

I just got done reading "The Dirt" from Motley Crue! 400+ pages of sex, drug, rock and roll and destruction. I cannot believe they are still alive.

That said, I did determine that Tommy isn't the smartest kid on the block. But, I created a Motley Mix on my iPod and have been listening to it. Man, can that guy groove on a drum set! He is a great groove player.

Definitely one of the great time keepers for rock in the 80s!
Old 01-04-2008, 02:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikei View Post
I just got done reading "The Dirt" from Motley Crue!
Hands down, that has to be one of the most incredible/scariest books of all time. Those guys sure did push the limits of life. A must read for anyone who wants to be entertained by the excesses of being a rock star.

I loved when Mick Mars thought he was dead, so he figured he could walk right through the glass door...*BOOM*

Can you believe they just left him on the beach... lol. OMG, that book is so insane. :-)
Old 01-04-2008, 02:15 PM
nhzoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
Me too buddy! With songs like Sick Love Song and If I Die Tomorrow you can tell thier sound is much more heavier and focused. Tommy's drumming is alot stronger too. I really wanna hear a new album.
Actually I think they just broke up again. Too bad because I also feel they were getting much better.

I love watching Tommy drum. He is a great groover and has great showmanship, the only one who comes close visually is Shannon Larkin of Godsmack.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:36 PM
Gold Member

You wont find a critic in me.

I absolutely love his playing. I am a huge fan.

His groove is amazing and showmanship is the best in the business.

I don't like him as a person, but I love his playing
Old 01-08-2008, 12:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikei View Post
Listening to the song "To Fast For Love" and he uses his crash and snare drum really, really well in the song.

He is an incredible player.
You should hear it live in concert! Sick, sick... and more sick. You should check out thier "Carnival Of Sins" DVD.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:32 AM
Gold Member

I own that DVD! It is great!

I have a couple of other bootleg concert dvds from the eighties and early 90s.

They kicked major ass back then!
Old 05-09-2008, 10:56 PM

Hi

I jus want to know how does Tommy do that stick trick where he hits the hi-hat and the snare with the stick and it jumps in to the air ? I,ve watched the Carnival of sins DVD hundreds of times and i don`t know how he does it.

Thanks
Old 05-12-2008, 11:37 PM
ihatesticktricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeybbdrummin View Post
I have been buying dvds latley. I bought Journey 2001 and Carnival of sin. Both Tommy and Deen Castronova have two bass drums but use a double pedal. Is it just for looks?
Tommy uses, it looks like, a 24" and the 28?" is not being touched. Why?
probably just for looks, he is a showman. i remember on rockstar supernova, the tv show, they hauled a double kick in for him to player higher ground by the red hot chili peppers, its just for show.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDRES79 View Post
Hi

I jus want to know how does Tommy do that stick trick where he hits the hi-hat and the snare with the stick and it jumps in to the air ? I,ve watched the Carnival of sins DVD hundreds of times and i don`t know how he does it.

Thanks
okay it took me a few times how to learn how he does that trick!
okay i'm going to give it to you step by step

1) once his arm is coming down to hit the snare he lets go of the stick right before it hits the snare
2) he hits the snare head and the rim at the same time so make sure to adjust your snare so you can hit the bottom of the head and the rim at the same time
3) so make sure when you bring your arm down to hit the snare let go of the stick before it hits the snare and the rim
i hope i gave you enough information
just keep on practicing and you will get it
good luck
Old 08-04-2008, 10:42 PM
Platinum Member

I'd rather see the TOP kit as it ended up...used, abused and bruised!

A pristine kit wouldn't seem lik eit was really TL's kit, it could just be a newer kit with th eold Pearl Lugs.

I dug the Chrome Pearl kit with the red chrome hardware.

I usually hate colored hardware, but since it was red chrome plating, I liked it.

It didn't look cheap.

I think that huge bass drum in the new vid & promo for St's is cool.

I though WTF at first, but then I thought it was cool.

I liked that red acrylic kit he had too.

Too bad it was blown up at a show.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post

I think that huge bass drum in the new vid & promo for St's is cool.

I though WTF at first, but then I thought it was cool.

I liked that red acrylic kit he had too.

Too bad it was blown up at a show.
yeah, I was standing off stage when they blew it up...got pics up in the "Drummers" section...
Old 08-06-2008, 09:15 PM

I recently bought Motley Crue´s new album "Saints Of Los Angeles" and I was really impressed.
I have to say: that dude can play! Great grooves with great kickdrum work, and some great snare-tom-fills that fit the songs very well.
Hope they will come to europe this or next year, they still kick some ass. Especially Tommy still got it, I think he is now even better than back in the days.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymasta View Post
You can't just judge tommy now you haven't seen everything he can do on drums and I think he is an excellent drummer he can do alot of stuff. His solo's are mainly about fun and he probably is better than most here that are bashing him he started playing when he was four and he's pretty damn good. Before you say you could of done better you should try out for yourself It's harder than it looks. Travis Barker is also a fine drummer he's got alot of talent but his latest solo on drummerworld was also about the fun of it! Flashing lights and a spinning drum platform that goes high it more about the visuals for that solo In my opinion And Tommy Lee is on the site just look! or type it....
In my opinion he's not that good for someone who started playing at 4 , if I would have had that far of a head start i think that I would be atleast twice as good as he is now dude!

On a side note I would love to experience playing drums upside down!! haha
Old 08-09-2008, 03:29 PM

My opinion is that Tommy Lee's a great drummer.He & the rest of the crue truly tipofied that genre in the 80's & paved the way for band's like Guns & Roses.Although if you've read the "Heroin Diaries" by Nikki sixx you'll know that GnR just could'nt keep up.Tommy's personal life aside,you can tell in his playing that he's constantly evolving.In an interview a while back he said that there is so many thing's he played in the 80's that he just would'nt play the same today because he nows himself that he's become a much more talented drummer.Bottom line-He's a talented & entertaining drummer & should be givin the praise & respect he deserves.Whether you like him or not.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:11 PM
nhzoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathtripp View Post
In my opinion he's not that good for someone who started playing at 4 , if I would have had that far of a head start i think that I would be atleast twice as good as he is now dude!

On a side note I would love to experience playing drums upside down!! haha
Curious as to what you base this opinion on? Does he miss notes or misplay beats on albums or live that you have heard? Statements like this always make me shake my head.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:25 PM
Silver Member

In my opinion Mr. Lee is one of the best Rock drummers of all time. He is always looking for new ways to evolve as an artist and his showmanship on stage is second to none. His style of drumming drives the band forward relentlessly. The only odd thing is after hearing him live and on recordings his solos are somewhat different then his playing style. The solos are far from poor, just much different then his playing style and I really don't know of any other pro drummer that falls into that category. Mr. Lee rocks in my book!
Old 08-31-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDRES79 View Post
Hi

Thanks
I used to watch him do that all the time in the Smoking in Boys Room video when I was a kid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDi0Q8qBxUw if you check out that link I try to do it on a cover video you can kind see a more open look at it around the 1:38 mark. It takes some practice but your snare has to be pretty level if you have a lot of tilt it wont work. Make sure you hit the snare pretty much in the middle of the head and just release your grip. The stick will rebound off the head and at that point you basically lightly flip your wrist up...that will guide the stick in the air. Dont confuse that with just flippin the stick in the air though (which I think is kinda stupid..lol) you actually use the force of the rebound off the snare so the harder you hit it...the higher it will go!! I dont know if that helps..let me know!

Last edited by rjlee22; 08-31-2008 at 04:40 PM. Reason: forgot to add info
Old 09-01-2008, 12:49 AM

I happen to like Tommy Lee and think he's a solid drummer but he's no tech wiz. Then again for Motley Crue he doesn't need to be. He's solid and fun to watch. He's clearly better than the likes of Peter Criss of Kiss and Herman Rarebell of the Scorpions. I think some people here are letting Tommy's visuals enhance their perception of his actual drum chops. Let your ears be the ultimate judge, not your eyes.
www.electriceyes.us
Old 09-02-2008, 11:38 PM
Rebel

He does good drumming on Too Fast For Love and Shout At The Devil albums.
Piece of your action, Bastard.

All the Best,
Old 09-11-2008, 07:19 PM
Rebel

Hello, fellows.

Just to share a picture with you.

Cheers,
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2008, 11:26 AM

The only amazing thing about Tommy Lee is his massive 40" bass drum!!!

Tama Hyperdrive
Meinl Byzance
Remo Heads
Promark 2B Sticks
Old 09-12-2008, 03:54 PM
Platinum Member

Just seen CrueFest back in july and let me tell you The Crue still have it I don't. care what anybody says Tommy is still killing it and there still kicking ass.the last time I seen Motley was in 83' during the Shout at the Devil tour and that was a great show but with this show they got more money then back then and not as toxic as back then so the music was great but so was the pyro. it's nice too see a big 80's like concert again everybody afraid of pyro. nowadays everybody's afraid to put on a Big 80's type rock concert anymore.but I will have to say Mick Mars still has the chops but boy is he looking rough very frail you can tell his disease is progressing it takes a lot of courage to tour for him I'm sure.Buckcherry surprised me also a lot better then I thought they would be.Great concert all around.

Bonzolead

P.S. if my wife ever kicks me out of the house I could live in Tommy's bass drum LOL
love seeing the big kicks
Old 03-03-2009, 06:08 AM
Rebel

Home Sweet Home......
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2009, 06:13 AM
Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypoo View Post
The only amazing thing about Tommy Lee is his massive 40" bass drum!!!
and Pamela Anderson?
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2009, 06:29 AM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwilliams View Post
Home Sweet Home......
Grito!...Grito!...Grito no diabo!!!