DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 04-25-2008, 05:30 PM

Default Gibralter Double Bass Rack?

Hey guys,
Iím looking forward to buy a gibraltar drum rack. The reason why I want that rack is because I have 4 rack toms and I play double bass. And due to the fact that two of the toms are mounted on the bass drum, the bass drum settings for my feet and my toms are directly related, it doesnít work for me to have both toms and pedals in the perfect position. Thatís a huge issue for me because Iím that person that has to install everything perfectly.
So I need a drum rack for a double bass kit. I thought of maybe two curved chrome racks, but they are pretty expensive so my other choice would be a curved double bass rack.
For both racks I donít know what the pros and cons are for these racks. I would appreciate every advice :)

Breakdown
Old 04-27-2008, 02:27 AM

Default Re: Gibralter Double Bass Rack?

well i dont know if their are any other racks that are acomadating for a double bass kit but i know that you should try to get a pearl because of the square tubing which eliminates all slip so its the best choice for single i know that and you could maybe get 2 front racks and put them infront of each bass and i know gibralters rounded bars have slip thats all i can provide
Old 04-27-2008, 04:20 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkstar442 View Post
i know that you should try to get a pearl because of the square tubing which eliminates all slip
Disagree. I have a round tube rack and I haven't had slippage...ever. "Could" it slip? Sure. But it doesn't.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:44 PM
Silver Member

For Breakdown - most racks sold in stores are priced based on the pieces the store has compiled together on the floor...meaning that you can usually modify what you are buying based on your needs. Certainly, they have "packages" but my experience says that they'll let you work anything together to meet your needs.

Yes, there is some pretty good differences in the pricing from top to bottom. Best thing to do is go and see (if you can). Put your hands on them and see and feel the differences yourself. If you can't get a hand-on test, I guess you'll just have to follow your own better judgement...and your wallet.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticksnstonesrus View Post
Disagree. I have a round tube rack and I haven't had slippage...ever. "Could" it slip? Sure. But it doesn't.
I know what you're saying is right. But I bought my ICON on the basis that if (and yes, it may be a big if) something worked loose due to vibration or whatever, then my stuff isn't going anywhere. It's like guitarists and strap locks. I've had guitarists say that in 15 years of playing they've never had an issue with their guitar straps. But would i want to bet a $1000/2000 guitar on it? No way. Same way as I don't want to bet that a tom will work loose and smack a big dent into my kick drum.

I'm of the opinion that if I already had a round tube rack, then I'd probably be more than happy with it. But if i was going out to buy a rack today. I'd want to know I'd be 100% sure for life that it'd never slip. That means an ICON or the really cool looking new Yamaha hexagonal racks.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:59 PM
Silver Member

I hear you. I'm of the philosphy though that there is no such thing as "set it and forget it".

Drums and cymbals on racks or stands; need to be checked and rechecked for tightness, rigidity, and most of all wear. As my own drum tech, I have my routine down to a science. It really takes much of nothing to check the torques on most of the prone joints.

Granted, the Icon rack is most definitely less prone to failure...maybe it'll never fail. Still would get my once-over, every time I sat behind it.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:46 PM

thanks guys for your information, it really helped. I actually didn't think about a tube rack where the settings are in danger if I don't install it properly. And to sticksnstonesrus, you're right, I asked at my music store and they sell their racks seperately. I will just take a look and see what serves my imagination. Thanks again :)
Old 05-06-2008, 07:11 PM

Don't forget to check out the Yamaha hexagonal racks!!

Also, a good rack should last you a hell of a long time. Remember, you don't need to replace the rack when you buy a new kit, so don't scrimp and think you'll buy a better one when you get your next kit.