DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 04-30-2008, 12:43 AM

Default Are there any movable toe stops? For pedals, obviously

The problem I got with my left foot when playing double pedals is that it tends to creep all the way to the top of the footboard where the chain is, so the tip of my shoe is rubbing against the chain all the time. I'd like to know if there's a method to keep my foot in the center of the footboard. I got no problem with my right foot, I can lock it and it stays there, but not the lefty. So I thought of a toe stop or something that can help me keep my foot under control.

Does such device exist? Should I just duct tape my foot to the footboard while I learn to keep it under control?
Old 04-30-2008, 01:12 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Are there any movable toe stops? For pedals, obviously

My sonor pedals come with an adjustable toe stop
Old 04-30-2008, 08:54 AM

Iron cobra has toe stops and i think u can buy their toe stops separately, just not sure if it would fit your pedal.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendecahedron View Post
The problem I got with my left foot when playing double pedals is that it tends to creep all the way to the top of the footboard where the chain is, so the tip of my shoe is rubbing against the chain all the time. I'd like to know if there's a method to keep my foot in the center of the footboard. I got no problem with my right foot, I can lock it and it stays there, but not the lefty. So I thought of a toe stop or something that can help me keep my foot under control.

Does such device exist? Should I just duct tape my foot to the footboard while I learn to keep it under control?
If you want to learn to control your foot, you need to start controlling it. If you use a toe stopper or duct tape to keep your foot in place, you'll just keep using your foot incorrectly (pushing it towards the chain linkage) and never learn to actually control it. One might say that the toe stopper treats the symptom, not the problem itself. You really need to drop on your knees (figuratively speaking) and start practicing your foot technique humbly and painstakingly slowly. Spend some time every day just working on your left foot single strokes at a slow tempo. Keep the strokes relaxed and consistent, and keep your foot in its place. There are no shortcuts for developing muscle control.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:41 PM

Very good advice Wavelength, but I think the problem lies elsewhere,

I should imagine that you already practice your double technique (if not then that will be the problem). But I rather think that the problem is the way that you are sitting and the position of your throne, try moving your throne to the right a bit and see if that helps. Make sure that the end of your pedals are in line with your throne and that your feet and correctly positioned.

If your throne is placed closer to your slave pedal (or second kick drum) than your main pedal then that problem will definately occur, basically you need to check that your stool is in the middle of both pedals and that you are not applying too much pressure to one rather than both at equal measures, this should help you

Adam x

- Kit! -
Old 04-30-2008, 04:11 PM
Administrator

My TAYE XP-1 Pedal has a toe stop that is removable and /or movable.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:33 AM

After a little research, I probably discovered the cause of my wayward foot, and it's definetly my seating position. Since I heavily favor my right side (hihats, ride and main crash are all on the right) I tend to lean more to that side. Hence, my left foot tends to be ovelooked and creeps all the way to the chain. So, both Wave and dd16 are right, it's a matter of control and position.

Still, I was looking for something that could help me develop control, I'm not looking for shortcuts or anything, so I thought a toe stop could help.