DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 04-14-2008, 09:55 AM

Default My Snare Drums Part 2

These photos aren't the best, so apologies in advance. The first post showed my work snares. These are from my collection and used only at home. Hope you like them. (Top to Bottom: Lake Superior Birch, Lake Superior Maple Timeless Timber, Neil Peart Commemorative, Neil Peart Snakes & Arrows, Ltd Ed Titanium, Buddy Rich Commemorative.)
Attached Images

Old 04-14-2008, 11:31 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: My Snare Drums Part 2

Wow! Just wow.

Together with your DW's and Brady from the other thread, you have the most spectacular snare collection.

My favourites, just from looking at them, would have to be the Brady and the Craviotto birch. But they're all amazing.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:37 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave from Perth View Post
These photos aren't the best, so apologies in advance.
With snares like that you dont really need good pictures. Those are all exquisite. I love the engravings on the rims & the artwork.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:44 PM

How long as it taken you to create this collection of snares?
Old 04-14-2008, 01:34 PM
Platinum Member

Wow dave... impressive stuff. I too would like to know how long it's taken to amass all these great snares. Do you have a favorite one?
Old 04-14-2008, 02:57 PM

That's sweet. The Snakes & Arrows one is awesome, first time I see it.
from your
tv set

Old 04-14-2008, 03:25 PM

Thanks for the feedback, guys. The snare drum collection is a real indulgence for me. I have some display cabinets in my home and the collection, along with some other dw items, is secured in them.

I resisted the urge to put a collection together up until only recently. I'm a bit of a collector by nature so I knew that if I started on drums it would be difficult for me to stop (or show restraint without going broke).

The way round this was to set strict parameters for the drum collection. Being located in Western Australia, I was naturally drawn to Brady drums. The problem I had was finding out which Brady drums were collectible.

I wanted to know which drums I should look for in order to have a collection that would stand as a tribute to the company and its history of innovation and fine craftsmanship. Over the years Chris has produced maple kits (to go with his jarrah snares), fibre kits, and even some aluminium kits. There was also a time when the snare drums came with jarrah lugs.

Because Brady is an innovative company that experiments with different shell materials and shell sizes, not having access to product release information made it really hard for me set "the parameters" I mentioned earlier.

Long story short, I wound up playing a dw kit and Brady snare. I love the products of both these companies: Brady for ultra-high quality of sound, craftsmanship and innovation; dw for its commitment to these qualities (drums and hardware) at the top-end of the mainstream market.

Over time I found that I could find enough information about dw product releases through my old collection of drumming magazines and through other sources, such as the internet, and great forums like this one.This made it possible for me to set the parameters of a collection that was attainable and representative of the dw company. (If I'm boring you I apologise.)

So, my collection parameter is limited edition dw snare drums. I have been actively putting this collection together over the past 18 months, or so. The bulk of the purchases you see in the photos have been recent, like in less than 9 months.

I'm really keen to find an engraved black nickel plated brass snare, featuring the engraving of John Aldridge; the exotic series snares made for dw by John Craviotto in and around 1997. JC also made some exotics series "Edge" snares as well...

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the photos. Thank you for reading this (long) post. I'll try to get some studio shots of the entire collection soon. If you have any similar collection stories, share them: it's fun to share the passion!

PS If you know of any limited edition dw snares I mightn't know about, feel free to contact me.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:00 PM

wow. you actually bought the Niel Peart Snare Drum...

The Craviotto's are nasty though
Old 04-14-2008, 06:41 PM

Default f**k ... i'd take them all :-))

incredible collection, dave ... you must be the happiest "snarer" down under. ;-)

if i have to sell my 2001 dw craviotto (you can say it's "a little limited"), you'll be the first asked man.
congrats and best wishes for your next ones!
Old 04-14-2008, 06:47 PM

Wow indeed, beautiful snares and very obviously well cared for...as a good collector should.

Question, are the "Lake Superior" snares made from recovered logs from the bottom of Lake Superior...hence the name?

Jack

Christian Drummers Army
Old 04-14-2008, 07:03 PM
Pioneer Member

That's an incredible collection. Very impressive!

You da man.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:05 PM

Dave,

If I can talk my wife into moving to the other side of Aus, can I be your brother? I know I have a funny accent, (for here), but I'm a fairly decent fellow.

I would only play your drums when you weren't looking and would always polish my fingerprints off.... :-D

Seriously, very sweet. The Timeless Timber one is absolutely stunning.. and a great buy.

Peace!
Old 04-14-2008, 10:21 PM
Platinum Member

Wow! what else can I say?

Old 04-15-2008, 12:28 AM
Gold Member

Very, very, very impressive. It's a shame though that some of those drums don't get to be played. They are all such good sounding snares. Here's one you might want to pick-up, pic is borrowed from a fellow member Chonson, along with my Brady that's my avatar. It's a one-of -a kind made for the 2006 NAMM show. The diamond Craviotto is an amazing snare.
Attached Images

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 04-15-2008, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOGdrummer View Post
Wow indeed, beautiful snares and very obviously well cared for...as a good collector should.

Question, are the "Lake Superior" snares made from recovered logs from the bottom of Lake Superior...hence the name?

Jack
Hi Jack. Yes, mate. These are made from the recovered logs you mention. If you get the chance to play one, you'll have lots of fun. If you get the opportunity to purchase one, make sure it comes with a COA or other form of verification. Thanks for the feedback and interest. All the best.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendozart View Post
Very, very, very impressive. It's a shame though that some of those drums don't get to be played. They are all such good sounding snares. Here's one you might want to pick-up, pic is borrowed from a fellow member Chonson, along with my Brady that's my avatar. It's a one-of -a kind made for the 2006 NAMM show. The diamond Craviotto is an amazing snare.
Thanks, Mendozart. The diamond Craviotto is a drum I'd like to learn more about. The shell comes from Italy, doesn't it? Do you know where there's a review/test of the snare?

Anyway, please tell us more about your Brady snare drum. It's a unique finish option. Looks great! Is it a jarrah ply? Are you happy with it? Do you play other snares? Details, please. Cheers.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:46 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Thanks, Mendozart. The diamond Craviotto is a drum I'd like to learn more about. The shell comes from Italy, doesn't it? Do you know where there's a review/test of the snare?

Anyway, please tell us more about your Brady snare drum. It's a unique finish option. Looks great! Is it a jarrah ply? Are you happy with it? Do you play other snares? Details, please. Cheers.
Hopefully our member Chonson will chime in about the Diamond Craviotto, as it is his drum that is pictured. At the recent NAMM show, I think I was most impressed by this drum. Recently there was a local gathering of drummers and Chonson brought this drum, it really blew me away. I own a Ludwig Supra 402, Black Beauty 402, a maple DW snare, and the Brady. As for the Brady, it is a Jarrah ply drum with a pearl white laquer finish in which all the hardware was powdercoated red. Here's a link to my most opportune purchase of the drum. http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ighlight=brady
BTW, my collection of snares pales in comparison to yours.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:55 AM

They look great my man. If you ever get sick of the NEP model -- I'll make you a good offer for it.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:45 AM

G'day Mendozart.

As for the Brady, it is a Jarrah ply drum with a pearl white laquer finish in which all the hardware was powdercoated red. Here's a link to my most opportune purchase of the drum. http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ighlight=brady

That's a great story about the Brady. It was obviously meant to be. Thanks for the link.

As far as whose collection is "better", well, I'm not into that. We do things for a range of reasons or motivations. Your collection is focused first on sound, mine is focused more on a company first, sound second. I reckon sound should always be first, so kudos to you, man.

I love the supra and I think I'll get one one day. Can I ask you if there's a noticeable sound difference between your Supra and BB? (I love those engraved BBs...) All the best, mate.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:35 PM
Pioneer Member

Awesome collection, I was looking at the Neil Peart snare drums at the drum shop last week and they sound incredible. Kudos, Now I'm nervous about posting pics of my snares after seeing your collection...lol.

Christian Drummers Army
Playing Weapons of Mass Percussion
Old 04-15-2008, 10:16 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
G'day Mendozart.

As for the Brady, it is a Jarrah ply drum with a pearl white laquer finish in which all the hardware was powdercoated red. Here's a link to my most opportune purchase of the drum. http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ighlight=brady

That's a great story about the Brady. It was obviously meant to be. Thanks for the link.

As far as whose collection is "better", well, I'm not into that. We do things for a range of reasons or motivations. Your collection is focused first on sound, mine is focused more on a company first, sound second. I reckon sound should always be first, so kudos to you, man.

I love the supra and I think I'll get one one day. Can I ask you if there's a noticeable sound difference between your Supra and BB? (I love those engraved BBs...) All the best, mate.
Don't sell those drums short. Even though you're collecting with the company as your primary reason, they are all killer sounding snares. As far as the BB, it is a ringier drum, which I love. The Supra has a much drier, but classic sound. G'day.

Old 04-30-2008, 01:44 AM

The Craviotto Diamond Series drums are made in Italy by Adrian Kirchler of AK drums.

The shells are based on the old two-piece shells of the 1920s and have the same type of sound. They're very sensitive to play and have a definate 'old world' type vibe to them.

The shells themselves are hand made/engraved and are thin nickel over brass available in either 14x5.5 or 14x6.5. The hoops are brass triple flanged with Trick GS007 strainers. Only 50 of each size were/are being made.

These two are mine - the 5.5 is #13 and the 6.5 is #7. The smaller one was the only one brought into the UK by the distributor. They're currently on display in my front room.
Attached Images

Old 04-30-2008, 03:09 AM

Quote:
As Dave mentioned -- shells are by Adrian Kirchler in, yes, Italy. However, while it's supposed to mimic the 2-piece shell, it still is a one piece shell like a modern Supra. It has a solid edge, as opposed to the usual open flange that a modern Ludwig would have. A good friend of mine has had a few 20s NOBs go through his house lately and he characterizes them as being a bit dryer than the Craviotto. Word is that some of the Joyful Noise snares replicate the sound a little more faithfully. Then again, NOBs are up on eBay about every other week, so if you want the real deal...

For its part, the Crav is definitely drier than, say a COB Supra. It's a little more focused, and my 5.5 sounds closer to 6 -- it's a very deep sounding. It's ridiculously punchy and full when struck center, but opens up quite a bit on the edges. It's definitely one of the most sensitive drums I've ever played. Having had the opportunity to hear it out front recently -- it cuts like a knife, but has the characteristic warmth of brass -- not the very between-the-eyes kind of stab you can get from a steel shell.

Also -- I think Modern Drummer or Drum have had a review on the Diamond series recently.

It's a beautiful drum in both form and function, but it's got a pretty ridiculous pricetag associated with it as has been documented. You may want to check out the Joyful Noise line or an AK drum -- or scout for a NOB original, if you've got a craving for the sound.

It's definitely unlike anything I've got and I'm never letting mine go. But it sounds too damn good to go unplayed.

(for the record, mine is #21/50).

And Mendozart's Brady is great.

Anyone who doesn't own a Black Beauty (or derivative) needs one. 6.5. It's mandatory. Ringy, records well, sounds ridiculous out front.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:39 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
The Craviotto Diamond Series drums are made in Italy by Adrian Kirchler of AK drums.

The shells are based on the old two-piece shells of the 1920s and have the same type of sound. They're very sensitive to play and have a definate 'old world' type vibe to them.

The shells themselves are hand made/engraved and are thin nickel over brass available in either 14x5.5 or 14x6.5. The hoops are brass triple flanged with Trick GS007 strainers. Only 50 of each size were/are being made.

These two are mine - the 5.5 is #13 and the 6.5 is #7. The smaller one was the only one brought into the UK by the distributor. They're currently on display in my front room.
Wow Dave B, not one, but two of these beauties, amazing! So what differences, if any, do you hear between the two sizes? I've been reading some great things about AK snares, but didn't realize AK had made these snares for Craviotto. SWEET!

Old 04-30-2008, 06:29 AM

Being the owner of a DW Peart Edge, I may be biased, but to me they are the best looking snare drum of all time.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:44 PM

They're both very 'snarey' in that they're particularly sensitive, moreso than most other drums I've played. I think the larger one is my favourite though as it just plays a tiny bit better for me. Full review is here:

http://mikedolbear.com/story.asp?StoryID=1515
Old 04-30-2008, 12:47 PM

Anyway, question for Dave since it's his thread, did you get that DW Ti over there or did you get it elsewhere? I know my local shop shipped one out to your part of the world, was curious if it was yours.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:31 PM

Hey Dave.

Mate, those Diamond snare drums are beautiful! Thanks for all that information you posted as well as the link to the review. (Read with great enthusiasm and interest!)

Yes, I bought the Ti from over your way and it cost me heaps in postage...but the people I purchased from were very professional and I recommend them.

I noticed before I opened your posts on this thread that you have since posted images of your drums, so I'm going straight there to look at your collection. Thanks again for that info and all the best from this side of the pond. (Are you a soccer, oops, football, fan? The United V Chelsea final should be a hoot!)
Old 05-01-2008, 10:05 PM

Hey Dave

Thanks mate for what you said.

Bizarre that it should be you who bought that Ti. You have #38 and mine is #36. I got mine from WDC as well ages ago. I did consider buying yours too at one point just to have a spare. Glad I didn't though.

Not a footy fan myself, have plenty of friends who are though. Don't really understand the appeal of twenty two overpaid idiots kicking a piece of plastic around is a bit over my head to be honest. I'll stick to drums I think. I like to hit my plastic with sticks rather than kick it.

:o)