DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 04-30-2008, 11:11 AM

Default Bass drum pedal on Roland TD* range

Hey,

I'm thinking of getting an electronic kit so I can play quietly at home (I only get to play on my acoustic about 4-8 hours a week, 2-4 of which are in band practices). I went to a store and tried out the hd-1 and the TD3. Now, the TD3 was clearly a much better kit (as you would expect from the price difference) - sounded better, more responsive triggers, rim trigger... but the biggest difference was that it had a proper bass drum pedal with a beater, while the HD-1 has that weird fake bass drum pedal thing. Which is harder to play (although I guess it would build up my right leg strength), but pretty much silent with the kit off.

Anyway, my question is: how loud (ie how annoying to someone in the next room) is the bass drum on the TD series? Obviously I heard it in the shop, but it's hard to relate that to what it would sound like in my bedroom (or, more pertinently, my neighbours' bedroom)

Secondary question - can I play an e-kit through my guitar amp, or will that sound terrible/ruin my amp?

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2008, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Bass drum pedal on Roland TD* range

I have a TD8, and the noise from the kick can be fairly loud if you don't tailor your playing to suit. (Obviously being electric, you don't have to stamp on it to get the volume. You just have to remember that!)

I play heel up all the time, but if you play heel down, or can learn to play heel down, it'll be so much quieter.

I tend to use headphones when practicing, but I do occasionally use an old Hitachi 'Super-Woofer' portable stereo. been using them together for 4 years with no problems. I did once run the TD8 through my pukka Arcam/Bowers&Wilkins hi-fi. Dunno if I'd risk it again. Never seen the drivers move so much as when I hit the bass drum!

If you can find a half decent stereo with decent power handling then great, but headphones will definitely sound better.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:13 PM

Default Re: Bass drum pedal on Roland TD* range

Thank you for such an informative reply. I think I'll probably go for the HD-1 based on what you say, since I will still be able to play on my acoustic when I need "realistic" drums