DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 12-03-2007, 06:00 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Neil Peart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManCannon View Post
I don't want to ruffle anybody's feathers here but I always found Peart to be somewhat wooden and lacking in feel. Sure, he's technically great and creative but I just don't think he has much feel. Of course Rush/Peart fans think this is blasphemy...

I'll come right out and say it:

Peart is influential and really good, but his lack of feel knocks him considerable down on the list of greatest drummers ever.
I disagree. I dont think he could have become such a legend without having a feel. Sure he kinda looks like a piece of lead while he plays (i dont remember who said that on this forum but its the best way for me to describe it) but i dont see how he doesnt have a feel. Listen to songs like La Villa Strangiato and Subdivisions.
I guess we probably have different views but I just dont think he is lacking feel.

Edit- Heh heh, this is my 3333rd post haha.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:12 PM
michael drums

Well...

As you can see, this "so-called" ManCannon, is a "one and done" poster, just tryin' to stir-up controversy Class A. Only 1 post...3 1/2 MONTHS AGO!

And I wouldn't be surprised if it's just one of the regular Neil Peart bashers ALREADY a member of DW. Tryin' to throw in his 2 cents(at best) under the radar...

Paaa-leezz...
Old 12-23-2007, 12:31 AM
Banned

I think it's amazing how Neil Peart is such a consistent player. Sure he plays everything in conert the EXACT same as on the record, and does it with a serious look his face. That's because when he creates his drum parts for Rush songs, he actually makes them a peice of music. Even his solos are all planned out. It's not that he can't improvise to shake things up, it's just that he doesn't want to.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:59 PM

Rate Neil however you want. One thing is for sure and I think it is the point that people who put him down miss. He has his own "voice" behind the drums. There are incredible technical drummers out there like Weckl etc and as good as Dave is he could not play Neil's parts the way Neil plays them. Just like having someone sit in for Bonham. Yes the songs work but they are not the same.

I think Neil was a better drummer in the past than he is now and I think his "reinvention" plus his terrible family losses hurt his playing. He got bored and its understandable that he wanted to change his style but if its not broke dont fix it.

Listen to The Camera Eye" and tell me Neil isnt a bad ass because that is some very intense drumming there and his live performances in the 80's.. Forget about it. Rush without Neil would not work because his "voice" is essential and will forever be a huge part of drumming history.

Oh, and he writes all the lyrics.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:37 AM
michael drums

Well said, LD! Great point(s)!

There's NO ONE that could do what NP has done for Rush, and have given his type of inspiration to the masses that have followed his incredible career as a musician, lyricist, AND an author.

And THANK YOU, LD, for returning some common sense to this thread...

Peace! ;-)
Old 01-24-2008, 02:15 PM

He is my favorite drummer of all time, followed by MP. When I first started in playing drums My Sharona was big on the radio and I really liked the drums on it, so I would bang my Remo practice pad to the song constantly. Then I heard Tom Sawyer and from that point on Peart was my idol. I remember sitting there with the cassette player rewinding the lead over and over trying to figure it out. It was my first introduction to odd meter and I loved the challenge. The only problem was, after learning to play like Neil was a mistake for me as a young drummer. It took years and years to become a more rounded player. For instance, when I was a kid I played in a band that did Anthem (Rush), Highway Star (Deep Purple) and I could play all the parts, but when I went to try to play a Beatles song with my older brother I overcomplicated things and couldn't really get the groove. I don't mean to turn this post into a lecture, but if young drummers out there want to sound original, do what Neil says and master many drummers styles, not just one or two!

Last edited by Smashin Jack; 01-24-2008 at 02:24 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-27-2008, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member

Ok,
As much as I dig NP, and I thought he was so awesome when I was a kid (he's still awesome), but has anyone else noticed in the big 2 page ad for the new DW 23" bass drum, Neil states that for the last 33 years he's played a 22" bass drum?

Back when he was with Tama his kicks were 24's, and he was with Tama for a long time, so what's up with that?

Even in his written Tour Program spots he had his kicks listed as 24's.

He say's that he liked the sound of 24's, but they didn't work for him, and he stayed with 22's.

I don't think I'm being a nit-picker, or an a-hole for pointing this out......

Anyone else have a thought on this?

Here's a link to the DW site NP article

http://www.dwdrums.com/peart/heartandsoul1.html

I just find this really curious....
Old 03-27-2008, 08:24 PM

Drum solos are always boring to me. Peart's solo is - as he describes - a piece in and of itself and a percussive stroll down the history of drums. I like his solo. It's not some bit about how complicated he can play or how fast.
Listen to the mixed 'Main Monkey Business' drum track on his website www.neilpeart.net
He's good. Flat out. No need to discuss it really.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:11 AM

I could go on but I'll just add this: his compositional work on albums such as Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures is amazing. That's where his true strength lies.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:21 AM

I saw Rush last year for my birthday, the best show I've ever seen. Peart is one of my main inspirations to play the drums. He can solo like no other drummer, their more like composition rather than solo's, there epic.

Peart is also a very intelligent man, I wish more famous musicians were able to articulate there thoughts like Peart can. It is always very interesting to hear him speak.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:58 PM

Default Any Neil Peart fans?

I was fortunate enough to see him 3 times. The best in my opinion.

YYZ just keeps getting better.

In addition, I have started taking lessons, I can't really do too much but the passion is there. I guess that is where we begin.

Richard

Old 04-29-2008, 05:46 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Any Neil Peart fans?

Yeah, I think you'll find a few Neal Peart fans around here. :)
Old 04-29-2008, 06:15 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardBlank View Post
I was fortunate enough to see him 3 times. The best in my opinion.

YYZ just keeps getting better.

In addition, I have started taking lessons, I can't really do too much but the passion is there. I guess that is where we begin.

Richard

I love Neil. Great drummer.

But I would be cautious as to saying he is the best drummer around..

Alex R
Old 04-29-2008, 07:15 PM

I would say Neil Peart is a Keith Moon with perfection, who puts all his concentration in drumming, But Keith Moon with all the imperfections was fun to watch.

For a brief moment it seemed that rock n roll would inherit the earth!
Old 04-29-2008, 08:11 PM
Guinness

I've seen him 5 times in concert, but gonna' miss him this go around. He is one of the greats in my opinion.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:56 PM

Big fan here! As a matter of fact, I just saw Rush last Friday night here in Dallas! Great show! The guys themselves may be "aging" but their playing (and music) is still dead-on! I was very impressed with the stuff they played off of "Snakes and Arrows".
Not only did I get to see Peart play, but I got to meet Vinnie Paul in the VIP lounge at the venue! Another great drummer and a real nice guy!
Old 04-29-2008, 10:02 PM
Pioneer Member

Neil Peart is great. I, like you, used to think he was the best. Look at the vids on the main page and your view will change very quickly.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:24 PM

Thanks for the replies. I am sure that his name has popped up every now and again.

Is it true that he has never dropped a drumstick during a concert?

Just to mention, back in 1984, grace under pressure was my first concert. Imagine, Philadelphia spectrum, tons of craziness and a young 12 year old Richard with his dad in a 3 piece suit. "Pops, what is that smell?Something burning?"

Those were the days...

Richard
Old 04-29-2008, 11:59 PM
SickRick

Quote:
No, never. That's why he is the best.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
I hear he never sleeps, too...and can speak w/ the deceased.
I've never dropped a stick on stage, either. Can't talk to dead people though, ...but I see stupid people everywhere I go.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:54 AM

Sorry if this has been posted before, but what is the deal with these DW ads Neil has going on? The shocker for me was not so much the one about his new custom-sized, mega bass drum, but the VLT snare thing and him potentially mothballing his old snares was quite a shock to me ...

Steve
Old 04-30-2008, 05:26 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah, he's totally pimping the whole 23" bass drum thing, and the vertical grain shells.

I thought it was a little silly, that two-page ad in MD about the 23" bass. My first thought was, "is it really, seriously, honestly...any better than a 22"?". The ad was so dramatic...like Neil found the 23" kick to be so dramatically different that he absolutely had to have it. Of course, more obvious is, DW is just having him push it in their marketing...but it just seems silly to me.

My DW floor toms had vertical grain plies and honestly, there was no audible difference between that and my drums that didn't.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:58 AM

I am 45 and will be seeing him for the 14th time this july in Charlotte, NC.

There are some really good drummers out there past and present.

But I would never begin a conversation regarding drummers without mentioning him very early on.

I have seen Gadd, Bruford, Heyward, Hakim, Copeland, Smith, Carlock, Chambers, Thompson, Collins, White, Palmer, Bellson and would say that to me, he is as good as any of them.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:59 AM

Neil Peart's a great drummer.
It's just annoying to see people saying that Neil Peart, Travis Barker, Virgil Donati, Thomas Lang, You Get The Idea are the BEST or GREATEST drummer. There is no BEST or GREATEST drummer. Whether its your opinion, there is no BEST. All of these drummers are great and unique.

Besides that, does anyone else feel that Neil Peart sounds mechanical? Just my opinion.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:25 PM

I like Limelight has a good feel and change in time sig.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickRick View Post
Dave Weckl drop his sticks all the time, obviously he is the worst. =O
Old 05-01-2008, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I am sure that his name has popped up every now and again.

Just to mention, back in 1984, grace under pressure was my first concert. Imagine, Philadelphia spectrum, tons of craziness and a young 12 year old Richard with his dad in a 3 piece suit. "Pops, what is that smell?Something burning?"

Those were the days...

Richard
I've seen him drop a stick, Hold Your Fire show he dropped a stick. Dropping sticks happens. Nothing you can do about that except glue them to yourself maybe. I've seen him break sticks. I've even seen the whole band get completely lost during "Secret Agent" on the Counterparts Tour here in Austin; I mean they completely got all messed up and they got back into it without any problems at all. Truly great musicians those guys. I've even seen Peart stand up during a break in a song and do the Pete Townshend guitar arm thing then he sat back down and began playing. In 96 at the Test For Echo show in San Antonio, Lifeson's whole rig went out and the solo in "Subdivisions" was getting close. He stayed calm. The crew got it on just in time. Truly a great crew.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTIMATEDRUMMER View Post
I like Limelight has a good feel and change in time sig.
Without a doubt my favorite Rush song - I'm trying to learn it right now...tough translating all that stuff into a 4pc kit!
Old 05-07-2008, 12:41 AM

Hey any of you ever see this its amazing it really show how amazing he is and that he can play amazing on any size kit!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47yxLg2RyXM

(its at the buddy rich memorial concert)
Old 05-08-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Nirvana- View Post
Hey any of you ever see this its amazing it really show how amazing he is and that he can play amazing on any size kit!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47yxLg2RyXM

(its at the buddy rich memorial concert)
I couldnt watch the video because my computer is messed up, but im pretty sure its the four piece kit thats purple sparkle. If you listen to the new RUSH album Snakes and Arrows, he pretty much only uses 5 or 6 drums, which is pretty dissapointing after being a Rush fan and listening to the old songs and loving the "Tom Sawyer Fill" and the "Limelight Ending" when you are a fan of Neil Peart and credit him for those things, its kind of a downer when he only uses a few of his many drums.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-a-tat-tat View Post
I've seen him drop a stick, Hold Your Fire show he dropped a stick. Dropping sticks happens. Nothing you can do about that except glue them to yourself maybe. I've seen him break sticks. I've even seen the whole band get completely lost during "Secret Agent" on the Counterparts Tour here in Austin; I mean they completely got all messed up and they got back into it without any problems at all. Truly great musicians those guys. I've even seen Peart stand up during a break in a song and do the Pete Townshend guitar arm thing then he sat back down and began playing. In 96 at the Test For Echo show in San Antonio, Lifeson's whole rig went out and the solo in "Subdivisions" was getting close. He stayed calm. The crew got it on just in time. Truly a great crew.
Yeah, just recently I saw him drop a stick on the Snakes and Arrows tour, It actually bounced down onto the stage and Alex kind of kicked it to one of the front rowers.

Last edited by Drummerboy30; 05-08-2008 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-08-2008, 07:22 PM
Pioneer Member

I agree with Jason, (I haven't read all gazillion replies) but Neil is consistent night after night, You may not be a Rush fan but every drummer needs to give neil the respect he deserves.

And His writing too, (Books as well as lyrics) has influenced me greatly. I have all 4 books and every one is a good read. I may not always agree with his philosophical views but we're all different. He has certainly played an influence in my drumming (And writing).

Christian Drummers Army
Playing Weapons of Mass Percussion
Old 05-09-2008, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsword View Post

And His writing too, (Books as well as lyrics) has influenced me greatly. I have all 4 books and every one is a good read. I may not always agree with his philosophical views but we're all different. He has certainly played an influence in my drumming (And writing).
Well said Drumsword.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickRick View Post
Hey Rick, I hope your just kidding about him not dropping a stick because Ive seen him do it, just as we all have and if we have not we will, for some reason or another
Old 05-09-2008, 05:52 AM

The World's Greatest Drummer -- And Other Hang-Ups

http://www.aquariandrumheads.com/con...splay.asp?id=1

(BTW, lest there be any confusion, I love Neil Peart, and consider him an inspiration.)
Old 05-09-2008, 02:39 PM

I just saw Rush 30th anniversary DVD.

I would say Neil Peart seems to be the best and best of all, I think , with that Perfect Keith Moon grooves. I dont think I can ever play like Neil Peart (I will try though) because his each and every stroke is so perfect and I dont see any imperfections in his playing. He doesnt make any funny faces or cheap show offs but just sit there (doesnt seem to sit still though!) with extreme concentration and play. Like someone said before, He plays just like it was studio recorded and thats make him a brilliant musician and a drummer.

The reality is every drummer is unique to me and plays well. In drumming I dont see the word "sloppy".

For a brief moment it seemed that rock n roll would inherit the earth!

Last edited by The Keith Moon; 05-09-2008 at 03:34 PM.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:14 AM
Banned

Did anyone know that Neil Peart was rated the 2nd WORST lyricist by Blender Magazine? I think this is ridiculous. I'd like to see the writers of Blender create a 20 minute long sci-fi song.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammin' Jamin 2112 View Post
Did anyone know that Neil Peart was rated the 2nd WORST lyricist by Blender Magazine? I think this is ridiculous. I'd like to see the writers of Blender create a 20 minute long sci-fi song.
I also found this incredible. It's ok not to like his style, but to say he writes bad lyrics is ignorant. He wrote some damn fine stuff back in the 70s and 80s, and is writing even deeper, more "real" material these days, since he pretty much left the fantasy themes.
Snakes & Arrows is packed with awesome lyrics.
from your
tv set

Old 06-04-2008, 12:42 AM
Platinum Member

In 3 hrs. I'll be watching Neil live! Whoo hoo!
Old 06-05-2008, 05:33 PM
Platinum Member

...and he was incredible, of course. How he can play so fast and hard after all these years is mind boggling. He snapped one of those oak sticks on the bell of his ride during his solo and without missing a beat, tossed it and pulled out another.

He looks miserable while he plays...but he tore it up, for sure. The whole band was incredible.

I just wish I had brought my earplugs, I forgot on the way out the door...