DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 04-25-2008, 11:03 AM

Default Going to LA

I'm off to LA on Monday for a few days with work. It's going to be pretty busy but I should be able to get some time off. Anything I should see/do bearing in mind I will only have a few hours spare. I'm staying on Hollywood Boulevard.

Oh and I want to bring a couple of pressies back for my Wife and Daughter (11) any suggestions of authentic Californian chic!
Old 04-25-2008, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Going to LA

Hope you have fun! That's wicked awesome that you're getting to stay on Hollywood Blvd!

"I'm fully prepared to face anything that is foolish enough to face me."

Dwight K. Schrute
Old 04-25-2008, 04:35 PM

Wow, only a few hours? And your in the land of the Coaster Gods. If I could find more time.... Magic Mountain (Home of X) Disney Land, Knotts Berry Farm.... Yea im into Coaster and Amusement parks. I even managed a trip to Disneys California Dreamining While at NAMM this year. The convention center borders Disney. If that dont work how about visiting one of the great music shops there.

Mike
Old 04-25-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeemer118 View Post
Hope you have fun! That's wicked awesome that you're getting to stay on Hollywood Blvd!
Yeah, even though I hate my job at times I do get to visit some amazing places....just wish I had a bit more time to explore.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:59 AM
Platinum Member

Plenty to see right there on Hollywood Blvd. And Sunset is just a stone throw away. Guitar Center Hollywood/Rockwalk/Vintage Room, 7425 W. Sunset...and a block away Toi on Sunset, great little Thai resturant, blarring rock music, ink'd up rocker types serving tables, drums and guitars hangin' from the ceiling, but the cooks in the back are the real deal, and the respect and love they give each other is genuine. They're at 7505 1/2 W. Sunset. If you want to go to a giant record shop. Amoeba Records. 6400 W. Sunset. Melrose Blvd, between La Brea and Fairfax, where all the beautiful people shop. You want California chic. Which decade? About 4 of them co-exist on Melrose. The original Pinks Hot Dogs, on La Brea, just north of Melrose, if you want a darn good chili-dog. They started up in 1939, as a hot-dog cart. And Canters deli, at 419 N. Fairfax.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:46 AM

Thanks for that. You can't beat local knowledge!
Old 04-26-2008, 01:57 PM
Platinum Member

I lived in L.A. for a bit and there is a ton of stuff to do. But, be warned.. its not as glamorous as one might think, especially on Hollywood Blvd. I completely agree with harry on Pinks! I lived on that for a bit. Juicy!

If you want to have a little fun and excitement, go to Newport Beach if the surf is good and play in the "Wedge." What is the Wedge you ask? You can't be told what the Wedge is. You have to be destroyed by it to fully appreciate what it is and why its named... "The Wedge."
Old 04-27-2008, 03:26 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl Player View Post
Wow, only a few hours? And your in the land of the Coaster Gods. If I could find more time.... Magic Mountain (Home of X) Disney Land, Knotts Berry Farm.... Yea im into Coaster and Amusement parks. I even managed a trip to Disneys California Dreamining While at NAMM this year. The convention center borders Disney. If that dont work how about visiting one of the great music shops there.

Mike
I went to Magic Mountain (i.e., was bullied into going to Magic Mountain by my best friend whom I was visiting) and I couldn't hang. I went on one coaster, didn't feel quite 100% after that, but decided I was just getting my sea legs and jumped right onto another, Batman. Well, I almost passed out on that one and was a little more than tipsy getting off. I spent the rest of the day watching my friend go on every other insane contraption the park had to offer and wondering why she or anyone else would want to put themselves through such misery.

ANYWAY, if you've only got a few hours to kill, I recommend two things. For the high road, check out the Getty Museum or the Getty Villa--great art, history, etc. For the low road, walk up/down Venice Beach--human freak show, nice beach and great junk food.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:41 AM

haha...yeah Hollywood Blvd. isn't as glamorous as it's portrayed. hahah...currently live in santa monica and was surprised when i got there. venice beach is one of the nicest beaches around. have yet to visit the getty.