DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 04-17-2008, 08:30 AM

Default Cheap Kick drum mics

I am looking for an affordable kick drum mic on ebay, and have had great results with a cheap set of chinese pencil mics, and want to buy the STAGG DM-5010.
Does anyone have advice for the best low end priced kick drum mic?
Thanks..and I know you get what you pay for...but...?!
Old 04-17-2008, 04:38 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Cheap Kick drum mics

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat in the middle View Post
I am looking for an affordable kick drum mic on ebay, and have had great results with a cheap set of chinese pencil mics, and want to buy the STAGG DM-5010.
Does anyone have advice for the best low end priced kick drum mic?
Thanks..and I know you get what you pay for...but...?!
I use a Shure PG52 the cheaper model under the Beta 52 and it sounds great check it out.

Bonzolead
Old 04-17-2008, 04:49 PM

Hey man, I would seriously wait a little until you have some more money to invest in a mic. Try to get a better kick mic eventually.

Something like the Shure Beta52 or the AKG D112 sound great and can both be found on eBay for under $200.00.

That being said, if you are on time constraints, or need a cheap mic for a venue etc. I agree with bonzo lead

Also, check out CAD mic's, I have used it once in a pinch and it sounded alright, mind you neither of these will come close to a D112, just as a D112 will not come close to a Neumann
Old 04-17-2008, 05:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangersatyourbirthday View Post
Hey man, I would seriously wait a little until you have some more money to invest in a mic. Try to get a better kick mic eventually.

Something like the Shure Beta52 or the AKG D112 sound great and can both be found on eBay for under $200.00.

That being said, if you are on time constraints, or need a cheap mic for a venue etc. I agree with bonzo lead

Also, check out CAD mic's, I have used it once in a pinch and it sounded alright, mind you neither of these will come close to a D112, just as a D112 will not come close to a Neumann
I'd been thinking about getting the Beta 52 for the bass and moving the PG52 too the floor-tom any comments?

Bonzolead
Old 04-17-2008, 05:06 PM
Platinum Member

Another great cheap bass drum mic is the Audio Technica Pro 25 i've read Neal Peart used them about 8 yrs. ago and that they were his main bass drum mics over the d112's which was everyone was using back then.just a heads up.

Bonzolead
Old 04-17-2008, 05:15 PM
Platinum Member

I'd really wait and save for a good quality mic.

Great sounding mic's I've used are...

D112--have it, love it, sounds fantastic on my bass drum (a 20X26).
Very clear and crisp sound without any distortion.
Works great on full front and ported kicks.
Highs and lows are very balanced, dials in fast.

Shure Beta 52 --I don't like it as much as the D112 on my bass drum, but it's a great mic....

Audix D6.....this is a really great sounding mic too.
Very true sound, great balanced sound, sounds great on a kick with a mic port, or full front head.

You do get what you pay for, and if you want people to hear a great sounding bass drum, instead of an "ok" sounding drum, it's really worth the price.

You can also use these to record with and get great results.

Much better results than a "cheap" mic.

In a pinch, a 57 can sound really good for the kick through a PA, but needs a bit more EQ'ing than a "bass drum" mic.
I haven't recorded with a 57 on a kick, but you can get them on sale all the time for under $100.

Good luck!
Old 04-17-2008, 06:11 PM

I don't know much about Audix mics although I do know a ton of pro-drummers that endorse them.

Quote:
I'd been thinking about getting the Beta 52 for the bass and moving the PG52 too the floor-tom any comments?
That would be killer sounding I'm sure. What are you using on your floor right now? The only mic (not talking about $$$$$$ mic's, just regular people mic's) that I think could beat a nice deep/kick mic on the toms is a Sennheiser 421.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangersatyourbirthday View Post
I don't know much about Audix mics although I do know a ton of pro-drummers that endorse them.

That would be killer sounding I'm sure. What are you using on your floor right now? The only mic (not talking about $$$$$$ mic's, just regular people mic's) that I think could beat a nice deep/kick mic on the toms is a Sennheiser 421.
I have a Shure PG56 on the floor-tom right now it's a 83 yamaha 16" tour custom it's pretty deep sounding for a 16" FT I'd figured the bass drum mic would be a good match up I recorded with a d112 on that same Floor-Tom and it sounded great.i'd just use the extra PG56 for another tom,conga,etc.thanks for the reply.

Bonzolead
Old 04-17-2008, 06:49 PM
Platinum Member

The 421 is a good mic, but I think it's more expensive than a 52 or D112...could be wrong though.

My D112 was a little less than $200.

421's really get that 80's, punchy fat kick sound though, it's nice on floor toms 16 and up, & great on an 18" FT, so you can get good use out of it.

On smaller toms, a 421's not as clear sounding as a 57 (a "regular people" mic).

57's sound great on toms 6"-18" which is cool because you can get them for under $100 each.

If a "cheap" mic is around $125-$150, the extra money difference is small compared to the high quality of sound you'd get from a really good mic.

JMO....
Old 04-17-2008, 06:50 PM

Thanks gents. What I am really asking is how do the really cheap 60$ kick mics stand up? I bought a pencil mic and it was tested beside a 300$ neuman, and the sound engineer was blown away, very little difference from his great ears. It cost me $20 new!! is that the case for these off shore kick mics too?
Old 04-17-2008, 08:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Thanks gents. What I am really asking is how do the really cheap 60$ kick mics stand up? I bought a pencil mic and it was tested beside a 300$ neuman, and the sound engineer was blown away, very little difference from his great ears. It cost me $20 new!! is that the case for these off shore kick mics too?
I don't. think so this guitar player in one of my bands bought a cheap condenser mic and it was a good sounding mic but beware he drop it once and that's all she wrote.not durable at all.IMO drum mics need to sound good but they also have to be durable.I'm not paying $60.00 for a one time use.

Good Luck,
Bonzolead
Old 04-19-2008, 06:46 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzolead View Post
Another great cheap bass drum mic is the Audio Technica Pro 25 i've read Neal Peart used them about 8 yrs. ago and that they were his main bass drum mics over the d112's which was everyone was using back then.just a heads up.

Bonzolead
Pro 25 or ATM 25? The pro gets mixed reviews, the ATM is awesome, but discontinued.

I have been single micing a kit with a Studio Projects B-1 for scratch recordings, a couple of feet in front, at mid-tom height. It's getting a pretty good kick sound, so I'd bet it would do as a dedicated kick mic outside the front skin, say, 6-12" back, right in front. $100, good for lots of stuff.

OTOH, most of the industry standard kick mics are under $200. Why save ten or twenty bucks on a make-do? Just get a D6, B52, Senn 602, ATM 25 or whatever on eBay, they go for $100-150 all the time.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzolead View Post

Bonzolead
I use the Pro-25 and I've been very happy with it. I got it on eBay for $120, as I recall, and I mounted it inside the bass drum shell. I a very good bass drum mic for the money. I've heard some guitarists use it to mic their amps because it gives a fatter sound.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:27 AM

Well....I just bought a Stagg mic. Financial times. I live off the gigs, so I have to ironically buy the cheap gear....a vicious paradox!
I am hoping it will last, and sound good. They make nice cymbals for cheap, so who knows.?
Any body own one of these stagg kick mics?
Old 04-21-2008, 04:13 AM
Platinum Member

cymbals are pieces of metal. microphones and highly designed electronic devices that are made to produce sound....for 60 bucks...i dont know how much sound you are going to be getting or the durability of it....

hopefully it works out for you....

Quote:
. They make nice cymbals for cheap, so who knows.?
Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 04-22-2008, 01:06 AM

the only mic I trust under $100 is the Blue Kickball (which is actually red...)
It's more impressive than any mic I've tried in that price range- I ended up buying 2
Old 04-23-2008, 12:36 AM

The CAD KBM412 is awesome. Its the one the Fleetwood Mac guy uses. I haven't used it but I use the cheaper version of it, which sounds really, really great, and I'm assuming their mics get better the further up the line.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:29 PM

I had an Audix D6 that was stolen and I needed a quick fix for the gig that night. I went to the local music store and asked for something in stock, cheap that would get me by. I bought a Samson QKick for $78. This was 3 yeasr and about 40 or 50 gigs ago and I still use the Samson. Great full punchy sound...