Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 03-11-2007, 12:03 PM

Default Re: Sleeping with metronom

So dose this acctualy work ?
Old 03-15-2007, 03:47 AM
Administrator

My sister gave me some CD's that play this ultra-mellow slow music, to help you sleep, and I stayed awake all night waiting to hear the next song. Felt terrible the whole next day at work.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:45 AM
Pioneer Member

I have clinical insomnia, I don't think I can afford to do this haha!

I have actually though about it for a while, but I might go for it and see how it goes.

My guitarist actually woke me up one time; he was annoyed, because my left foot was keeping time in my sleep! Heheh!
Old 03-25-2007, 04:18 AM
da cheese walks

yeah i have nsomnia too....its a bitch....have had it for 10 years or so now...Chronic....get about 2 hours on average now.....
Old 03-27-2007, 10:00 PM
Pioneer Member

Ooft, unlucky.

I just got it in december, I got really depressed as a result but that seems to have passed.

http://www.myspace.com/thisurlisoccupied
Old 03-28-2007, 05:42 PM
Silver Member

im not really sure.. but as i think about it id say that it would either give you an annoying clicking headache all day long, or you will be a human metranome and enjoy it.

Personally, i dont see myself learning anything from it, cuz ill probably knock the headphones outa wherever they are in.

p.s. 500 posts :D
Old 04-05-2007, 08:39 AM

i tried this
it worked. it's a little hard to sleep just put something over your metronome to muffle the sound a little. Every day bring the speed up a little
Old 06-04-2007, 10:01 PM
Silver Member

Diggin' up a fairly old thread here but I found this today.

Here's something to consider:

"Exposure to noise at night can suppress immune function even if the sleeper doesn’t wake. Unfamiliar noise, and noise during the first and last two hours of sleep, has the greatest disruptive effect on the sleep cycle."

Here's the source: http://abc.net.au/science/sleep/facts.htm
Looks credible enough to me.

Therefore, sleeping with a metronome might not be the best idea.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:10 PM

Id like to try it but my metronome only has 2 volume settings, silent or with very loud bleeping.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:30 AM
Pioneer Member

Hmm, I assumed that the sound would probably affect sleep. It seemed common sense.

Well I'm rid of insomnia now, so it's all good!

http://www.myspace.com/thisurlisoccupied
Old 06-14-2007, 09:36 PM

Hey,

long time ago that i watched this thread.
Like i said you are right. Its hard to sleep with metronome and the next time your are getting cheesy...but all of that doesn´t change that it is working ^^

Every single human can fly....after jumpng from a big tower...but after you are XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx
Sooooo...many things are working but they are not good for us.

Also little late:
Its cool to see how Americans are using "Latein" in here languge. Here in germany we are using a lot of latin stuff and i´m also learning latin in school.
That language is amazing and its really fun to transalte speeches of Ovid, Ceasar, Sallust etc. Its really interesting and a lot of fun...but it is hard.

In dubio pro reo ..... i guess everybody knows these 4 words that have a really big sence.

:)

Last edited by NUTHA JASON; 07-02-2007 at 11:48 PM.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:19 PM

I used to listen to music every night...all night most of the time unless I woke up and it was bothering me...the receiver also has a sleep timer if I only wanted to listen until I dozed off.

Once I got married I had to give that up...[cry] I get to do it once in awhile, but I have to set the timer, and I can't crank it. I forgot to mention I actually used to listen to it at normal volumes...none of this elevator volume crap...and I used to sleep like a rock…wake up with the alarm, sound asleep the rest of the time in-between. Now, I’m actually finding myself very restless…sometimes up 2 or 3 hours before the alarm and can’t get back to sleep.

I gotta smooth talk her into going with this for a few weeks, see if she can get used to it.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:14 AM

Oh wow!!!

I love this idea so much. I will be doing it tonight.
I'm thinking I will put it on 120 BPM.

Thank you Exident, this has made me extremely happy.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:55 PM

I'm still pretty new to the forum so forgive me for dragging up a thread as old as this one is . Thanks, "guest" for bringing it to my attention.

Anyway, long before I started playing drums, one of my hobbies was listening to shortwave radio. One of the very first stations I picked up (I was about 6 I guess) was a station called WWV. For those that don't know it, WWV is a station run by the US Government and it broadcasts one thing all day every day: the time. That sounds boring and to some degree, it is, but at the same "time" (no pun intended) it was and is a very useful station because the clock that WWV gets its time base from is the most accurate clock in the world. I used to keep all the clocks in the house- as well as my watch- to within 1 second or less of the time as announced by WWV.

Now to the topic of falling asleep to something akin to a metronome:
I used to plug in my headphones and turn WWV on just loud enough to faintly hear the second ticks (not wearing them, just sitting near the bed) as I slept. I did this for years (yeah, I know... I'm weird). The upshot of all this is that to this day, I can look at a clock once in the morning and "feel" the time to within 5 or 10 minutes all day without wearing a watch. I used to be called the walking clock because someone would come up to us and ask if anyone had the time and I'd just say "it's about 25 after" without looking at anything. They'd walk off with a skeptical look on their face and ask someone else who had a watch and I'd hear the watch owner say, "It's 9:26..." After a short while, no one doubted my ability to tell time without a watch. I guess I "programmed" myself to feel the flow of seconds, minutes and hours with all those years of listening to WWV in my sleep.

And no, it didn't affect my playing. I don't play exclusively at 60 BPM...
Old 10-10-2007, 02:11 AM
millerdakiller

I would never be able to sleep with that constant ticking
Old 04-18-2008, 06:27 PM

ok i am not i drummer or anything i play lead guitarist and i was looking to buy a metronome because my friend borrowed and then lost it. this is where i saw a sight to said sleeping with a metronome around 60 bpm helps you sleep so i searched Google and found this forum and so i wanted to give it a try so when my metronome came in the mail i set it to 144 the beat of a lot of my favorite songs like Bark at the Moon by Ozzy Osbourne. here what i did i put a pillow over my metronome so it was quit and i always go to sleep with my tv on so i turned it on and put a sleep timer on i when to sleep fast and easy and i got a full sleep with it on, and i can tell a differences but its no big deal i mean am a guitarist i don't make a beat i just follow it.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnkate68 View Post
ok i am not i drummer or anything i play lead guitarist and i was looking to buy a metronome because my friend borrowed and then lost it. this is where i saw a sight to said sleeping with a metronome around 60 bpm helps you sleep so i searched Google and found this forum and so i wanted to give it a try so when my metronome came in the mail i set it to 144 the beat of a lot of my favorite songs like Bark at the Moon by Ozzy Osbourne. here what i did i put a pillow over my metronome so it was quit and i always go to sleep with my tv on so i turned it on and put a sleep timer on i when to sleep fast and easy and i got a full sleep with it on, and i can tell a differences but its no big deal i mean am a guitarist i don't make a beat i just follow it.
I dont understand what you are saying. You might want to rephrase a little.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:27 PM

I would dream of time bombs if I slept with a metronome.....

"I'm fully prepared to face anything that is foolish enough to face me."

Dwight K. Schrute
Old 04-26-2008, 10:28 PM

I used(well i still do) sleep with my ipod sometimes. Most of the time now, I just listen to any random songs, but when I first started listening to music when i slept, I'd listen to the allman bros., usually in memory of elizabeth reed. I don't know if affected my sleeping, but it made me feel 'zen'.