DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 04-25-2008, 09:19 AM

Default jazz combo gig + 20" zildjian crash of doom

I bought a 20" zildjian crash of doom today, just because I had been staring at it on the rack at my local music store for 5 years.

Took it to my space and put it on a stand and FELL IN LOVE WITH IT. Soooo I had a jazz combo gig tonight and brought it along as a 3rd ride. Filled the gap between my 22" paiste 505 and my 18" zildjian breakbeat perfectly, and really complimented my vintage 20" zildjian swish with 6 rivets. (sadly, this meant my 20" zildjian K pre-aged dry light ride had to spend the night in the case...) It's a trashy crash, or a complex dry ride or a china depending on how hard and where you hit it... and the bell is rediculous.

Everyone needs to get one of these. It's the ultimate go-to cymbal to have. I can't wait to play another jazz gig and get to know it better.

{edit} I feel like i should add that i also played a 20" sabian groove ride and a 21" sabian raw bell dry ride today... both amazing cymbals, but I felt like they were too specific with their sound, like if i had them both I would have to switch between them at gigs... great studio instruments, i'm sure, but probably nothing i'd own for live use.

Last edited by Red Hawk; 04-25-2008 at 09:22 AM. Reason: edits is edits yo.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:09 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: jazz combo gig + 20" zildjian crash of doom

The crash of doom is ultimate for stripped down bluesy rock. I dont own one but i've played one before at a gig and ever since ive been regretting the fact i dont have one.

I like the crash of doom better than the sabian legacys because wierd things happen when you try to ride a cymbal with holes in it
Old 04-26-2008, 08:14 AM
Gold Member

I have been interested in this cymbal. Do you think it would fit in some blues/rock music? BTW, I also own a 22" 505 ride.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 04-26-2008, 06:14 PM

using it as a ride in anything louder than an unamplified jazz combo would make it sound like you were just riding on a thin crash cymbal, in which case there are probably better candidates for cymbals. I got it to use in jazz situations because I like my kit to sound unique.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:13 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hawk View Post
using it as a ride in anything louder than an unamplified jazz combo would make it sound like you were just riding on a thin crash cymbal, in which case there are probably better candidates for cymbals. I got it to use in jazz situations because I like my kit to sound unique.
But what about using it as a crash? I'm looking for a 19" or 20" crash.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 04-26-2008, 09:35 PM

it would be perfect then!

it's really dry as a crash and it has a pretty quick decay since it's so thin (mine was never used, and it's pretty warped.)

I would definitely recommend messing around with one in a store before you buy it. This the definition of a cymbal you should not buy online.