DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 04-23-2008, 04:46 PM

Default Advice and recommendations sought for electronic and/or practice pad drums

I've been offered the chance to work and live in Switzerland for 6 months, which will mean leaving my drum kit behind. Now I know that what few skills I have seem to dissolve if I'm away from a kit for too long, so I'm thinking about getting either an electronic kit or a practice pad kit. This would also be really useful back home, because I can't practice my acoustic in the house (I live in a thin-walled terrace house, with a young baby next door!)

Anyway, I was hoping to get some opinions on the relative merits of electronic kits vs practice-pad type kits (or at least the ones available on my budget - see end of post), and perhaps some suggestions. My two main concerns are:

1) Quietness. I'd ideally want something that wouldn't bother someone in the next door room. I know that my acoustic kit with rubber silencers is still too loud for my neighbours here, and I've heard that some e-kits (and I imagine practice kits) can still be pretty loud, especially the bass drum pedal

2) Realistic rebound (I guess this means mesh heads?)

Sound is pretty much a lower priority in a way - good sound would be nice, but I'm not likely to be playing this out (although I guess I could use it for band practice on occasion when I'm back home). This is why I'm considering just the practice pad kit. I'm a little worried that I'd get bored with just dull thuds all the time though. I'm also worried it will make it harder working on dynamics and accenting. Having said that, I think I'd prefer no sound to terrible sound.

Price - I guess I'd pay up to 500 for an electronic kit or up to 150 for a practice pad kit. Money is pretty tight though, so any cheaper recommendations would be very welcome! I have no objection to getting something second hand.

Any advice or suggestions gratefully received
Old 04-23-2008, 06:02 PM

Default Re: Advice and recommendations sought for electronic and/or practice pad drums

What about just taking a single practice pad and a couple of sticks?

Use the 6 months to really sit down and work on your sticking and rudiments. Being away from your whole kit can sometimes work in your favour too.

:-)
Old 04-23-2008, 06:56 PM

Default Re: Advice and recommendations sought for electronic and/or practice pad drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Chris View Post
What about just taking a single practice pad and a couple of sticks?

Use the 6 months to really sit down and work on your sticking and rudiments. Being away from your whole kit can sometimes work in your favour too.

:-)
My bank balance certainly likes your suggestion, however I just don't know whether I've got the discipline to keep at it without the fun of a full kit! At various times I've had to put my drums into storage for up to 2 years, and as much as I intend to keep up the practice pad sessions it's hard to keep motivated when there's no opportunity to apply it to something.