DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 04-18-2008, 04:04 PM

Default Problem: Cannot fit head to 'Snare Side' of Drum

Hi - Only my second post and I have a problem, but this is what drew me here in the first place.

I have a vintage Slingerland chrome snare drum I've been using for years. I reckon it's about 40 years old. It was given to me about 20 years ago and has a 6 figure serial # that begins: 5022. I don't know the model. It's a 14x5 instrument.

I don't believe the snare/resonant head has been replaced in it's entire lifetime. And up until recently when it was maybe punctured by accident in my drum case by another part of my kit, it was not going to be. Anyway punctured it is:

When you take the skin off, it reveals two facted or straight areas to the profile of the rim where the snare springs themselves run.

Additionally these two faceted areas extend out, essentially making the area a new head has to go over, somewhat larger, but once over these areas, I guess the same size.

I've tried a couple of 14" bottom heads and they will not fit over these two facted areas very well. If the skin is forced you can make a little more progress, but ultimately not all tension screws will reach their intended slots. The original Slingerland head (pictured above) fits comfortably no problem. Strangely, when I put the old Slingerland head hoop to hoop with a new head they appear to be the same size, yet I still seem to be unable to fit a new head.

I realise, although I've been drumming on and off for about 25 years, I've probably never had to change a bottom or resonant side head on a snare drum - so I don't know whether this feature on my old Slingerland is the norm or not. However I've discussed with a couple of people with more modern snares and they reckon not, but you may know different

Anyway, currently I'm borrowing snare drums from a practice room until my problem is resolved.

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance
Old 04-18-2008, 04:17 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Problem: Cannot fit head to 'Snare Side' of Drum

Check out Aquarian. They have an "American Vintage" line of drum heads. These heads
are slightly larger in diameter to accomodate "vintage" gear. I'm not sure if that line includes snare side heads but give them a call or email them. They are a fantastic company to deal with and thier customer service is top notch. Let us know how it goes.

http://www.aquariandrumheads.com/pro...splay.asp?id=9
Old 04-18-2008, 06:30 PM
Platinum Member

I'll second muckster. Either that or find out if someone will custom make you a slightly oversized head. Is that an ebony batter? If it is... replace it please! This is too nice of a drum for that.
Old 04-19-2008, 03:11 AM

Many thanks both for your feedback and suggestions.

Muckster - Seems Aquarian have a bottom skin 'VCC-SN'. This sounds a likely candidate. All I gotta do is fine a UK stockist as I'm England, not the US. I'll keep you informed of my progress.

youenjoy00myself - If the worst came to the worst, someone could maybe refit the existing broken head with a fresh skin - though that seems a last resort situation.

"Is that an ebony batter?" - erm... yes, not the Remo Pinstripe I prefer. What can I say, I lent the snare to someone else, they broke the skin and put an oil filled head on in its place. Not sure I like it either!
Old 04-19-2008, 06:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQwerty View Post
Many thanks both for your feedback and suggestions.

Muckster - Seems Aquarian have a bottom skin 'VCC-SN'. This sounds a likely candidate. All I gotta do is fine a UK stockist as I'm England, not the US. I'll keep you informed of my progress.
Here's what comes up for England / Scotland on Aquarian's site (disregard if you have already checked it out).

http://www.aquariandrumheads.com/dea...sp?countryID=2
http://www.aquariandrumheads.com/dea...p?countryID=42
Old 04-20-2008, 06:19 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQwerty View Post

"Is that an ebony batter?" - erm... yes, not the Remo Pinstripe I prefer. What can I say, I lent the snare to someone else, they broke the skin and put an oil filled head on in its place. Not sure I like it either!
Assuming you get a replacement snare side head, that drum deserves a 10-mil, single-ply, coated batter. Otherwise you might as well be playing a piece of junk.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumtechdad View Post
Assuming you get a replacement snare side head, that drum deserves a 10-mil, single-ply, coated batter. Otherwise you might as well be playing a piece of junk.
Agreed... give this drum what it deserves.