DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 04-18-2008, 03:16 PM

Default Clear or coated Emperor

I know this question has been asked and answered to a large extent on this site, but regarding Remo clear and coated heads, which ones are going to be warmer, with less sustain? I think I read that the coated are a bit warmer. I'm looking for volume, attack and a round warm sound without to much sustain, might be asking for too much from one head? It seems that the Evans G2 is suggested a lot as an alternative, do they sound like Emperors? Do they have the sharp overtones that the Emperors are said to have? Thanks a million for any suggestions! T.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:41 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Clear or coated Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdalin View Post
I know this question has been asked and answered to a large extent on this site, but regarding Remo clear and coated heads, which ones are going to be warmer, with less sustain? I think I read that the coated are a bit warmer. I'm looking for volume, attack and a round warm sound without to much sustain, might be asking for too much from one head? It seems that the Evans G2 is suggested a lot as an alternative, do they sound like Emperors? Do they have the sharp overtones that the Emperors are said to have? Thanks a million for any suggestions! T.
All I play is Remo heads but I use coated ambassadors on my 20" bass 4-piece and clear emperors on my 24" bass 4-piece kit.IMO I like Coated heads on smaller diameters kits(jazz) and clear heads on larger diameter(Rock) kits.

Keep swattin'
Bonzolead
Old 04-18-2008, 04:20 PM

Thanks for the reply, I have a Mapex Pro M, 24" bass, 12" and 16" toms. I've been leaning toward the Remo Emperor clear's. Right now I have an Evans coated EC2 on the 12" tom and an Aquarian performance II on the 16" but I am going to change it all out to Remo, with Emperor clears as the tom batters and ambassador reso's,... and an ambassador coated for the snare. Seems like this is the the most recommended combination, aside from G2's, although I will try them eventually, just to see.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdalin View Post
Thanks for the reply, I have a Mapex Pro M, 24" bass, 12" and 16" toms. I've been leaning toward the Remo Emperor clear's. Right now I have an Evans coated EC2 on the 12" tom and an Aquarian performance II on the 16" but I am going to change it all out to Remo, with Emperor clears as the tom batters and ambassador reso's,... and an ambassador coated for the snare. Seems like this is the the most recommended combination, aside from G2's, although I will try them eventually, just to see.
Coated ambassador's on snare drums(batter side of course) have been the norm for years you can't. go wrong.

Keep swattin'
Bonzolead