DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 04-12-2008, 09:39 PM
Platinum Member

Default A Peek At My Soundproof Room!

I actually built this with my father-in-law about 6 mo. ago but never showed y'all - so here it is.

Basic info:

- 8" walls all around
- Built inside of the third bay of my garage (far end of the house)
- 4" of suspended "sound board" inside of each wall
- Sealed with heavy-duty anti-vibration soundproof caulk
- Both door and closet are covered with dual-layer, encased soundproof doors
- Two windows, both have lightweight, removable covers that fill entire window sill with 6" of styrofoam, covered with soundproof board on the inside.
- Heated by a single ceramic space heater (very cost-effective).
- No air-conditioning (yet) - will be doing that here in a couple of weeks before it gets blazing hot here in Boise.
Attached Images

Old 04-12-2008, 10:54 PM

Default Re: A Peek At My Soundproof Room!

Your a lucky guy to have such a sweet practice place :) congrats on the good job,hope you have years of fun playing in there making magic
Old 04-12-2008, 10:58 PM
Platinum Member

Very nice. You're pretty handy with the saw and hammer, then? Kudos, that's a lot of work.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:19 PM

Looks great! I'm trying to get ideas on a practice room/studio for my basement. You didn't mention what you have on the floor, and it's kinda hard to tell from the pics...

More importantly, what do your neighbors think??
Old 04-12-2008, 11:54 PM
Platinum Member

Looks great! can you give a ballpark price on the cost of the sound proofing material, I'm hoping to do this by the end of the summer as well.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:54 PM

thats pretty tight. i got a kinda sound proof game room... its upstairs so not so good but it helps a lot. but yea thats gona be tight and it looks like regular old carpet lol
Old 04-13-2008, 12:20 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks all - it was a lot of hard work but I have to attribute 75% of it, at least, to my father-in-law. He's the handyman and loves this stuff. I had pretty severe tendonitis at the time and couldn't do more than an hour or so of work at a time w/o major flare-ups.

Ballpark figure on costs, including the cheap-o egg crate padding on the inside walls, around $1100. The "soundboard" we bought at Lowes was relatively inexpensive, about $8.25 for a 6'x8' sheet. The rest is plywood and two-by-fours.

The floor is some really nice, used carpet and padding we got on the cheap, from someone on Craigslist....saved a ton there.

It needs more internal sound-dampening but it sounds pretty good as it is. The room really emphasizes low-end frequencies so my kick drum sounds much bigger than it is, in there. I've heard that putting thick foam in the corners of the room will cut this down to a more reasonable level.

What's nice about this is, the kids hit the sack at about 8pm, I'm out here by 9 or 9:30 and practice right up until bed. On rehearsal nights, I've gotten 3 other guys in here, comfortably, amps and all.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:48 AM
Platinum Member

Wow, really nice setup. Are you going to finish the walls, either with paint or egg crate foam? Also, I would suggest putting in a nice big ceiling fan. I put one of the those in my previous space and I'm going to put one in my new one. It costs less than an air conditioner and is quieter. Given how tightly sealed these rooms are, it's good to have lots of air flow especially with a bunch of dudes sweating in there.

How many square feet? I see you have a computer in there. Is this like a man cave also? My practice space is a man cave.

I'd like to swing by your pad sometime and check it out. Have you ever had someone play your set and you go outside to check the level?
Old 04-13-2008, 06:20 AM
Platinum Member

Vin! Thats great! You're lucky to have that room ... and luckier to have a pa-in-law like that. Wish you lotsa fun & music in that room, bud.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Wow, really nice setup. Are you going to finish the walls, either with paint or egg crate foam? Also, I would suggest putting in a nice big ceiling fan. I put one of the those in my previous space and I'm going to put one in my new one. It costs less than an air conditioner and is quieter. Given how tightly sealed these rooms are, it's good to have lots of air flow especially with a bunch of dudes sweating in there.

How many square feet? I see you have a computer in there. Is this like a man cave also? My practice space is a man cave.

I'd like to swing by your pad sometime and check it out. Have you ever had someone play your set and you go outside to check the level?
Good idea w/ the ceiling fan. The room is about 15' x 13' (just under 200sq. ft.) I think I'll finish the walls by putting more foam here and there and maybe hang some pictures. I like the sound qualities of the walls, they absorb a lot as it is. It ain't pretty but it works!

One idea is just hacking a rectangle to the outside and mounting an air conditioner in the wall, sealing it in tight. This size room wouldn't need a big one.

Yeah, it's a total man cave, all it needs now is a kegerator, dancing girls, and some neon signs.

When we built it we sound-tested before finishing the inside walls. I'd have my guitar player hammer on my kit while I walked around outside. You can't hear *anything* in the house - dead silent. Outside you can hear it very quietly just outside of the big window....otherwise, nowhere else - the neighbors can't hear a thing.

Come on by anytime!
Old 04-13-2008, 07:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Vin! Thats great! You're lucky to have that room ... and luckier to have a pa-in-law like that. Wish you lotsa fun & music in that room, bud.
Thanks man! Yeah, he's a good guy...an industrious fellow...together we whipped this thing into shape in two weekends.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:26 AM
Platinum Member

15x13. That's a good sized room. Mine's 12x9. I can get 2 other cats in there besides me. 3, no way.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:26 AM
Silver Member

That's such a great drum space.

Does the combination of thick carpet and foam on the walls not mute your sound too much? I guess not, if you're considering covering the rest of the wall area too. Would you be doing this to further sound proof (for the nieghbours), or to control the sound for yourself on the inside?

And your white Ludwig kit looks so sad and lonely, stuck away in the corner like that. Aren't you concerned about the long-term psychological damage caused by your favouritism towards your new set?
Old 04-14-2008, 10:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katman View Post

And your white Ludwig kit looks so sad and lonely, stuck away in the corner like that. Aren't you concerned about the long-term psychological damage caused by your favouritism towards your new set?
LOL!! Vins' disowned his Pearl Forum, banished his 2 Dubs forever, and the other poor white Luddies are shaking in their hoops, waiting for the inevitable.

Yeah sure, Miss champagne sparkle does look a little sad & lonely....and scared?

Last edited by aydee; 04-14-2008 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:16 PM
Silver Member

Lucky to have such a nice practice space, did it take long to finish?

Tom
Old 04-14-2008, 04:46 PM

nice litlle studio. im jealous. And those luddies are damn sexy
Old 04-14-2008, 06:51 PM

Looks like a great practice/recording area and like it was a fun project! Interesting idea putting the "2nd" doors for soundproofing...does it work well preventing sound leakage?

I'm impressed that you had room in your garage to build it! I can't seem to keep mine emptied out enough....

Christian Drummers Army
Old 04-14-2008, 07:51 PM
Platinum Member

Yeah, the white Luds do look a little pathetic over there...naked and alone. I can't help it, I found a new love....all pink n' pretty. I had to promise the wife (again) that this rotation was the last. What I DIDN'T promise is that I wouldn't buy MORE drums - it's all about the loopholes.

The extra doors cut down the noise a great deal. In the house, you can't hear me at all. You can *barely* hear the band if we're all playing together. I always practice after the kids are in bed and it doesn't wake anyone up...so it's just a beautiful thing!

The extra internal muffling would be just to improve the sound in the room and cut the volume a little. Every time I get a bass player in here they start whining about sympathetic frequencies. I guess it hadn't occurred to them that cranking the amp to "brain-wave altering low-ends" might have something to do with it.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:49 PM

That is very good... a very productive looking place!