DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 04-01-2008, 02:15 AM

Default RockBand!

I just recently got to play RockBand at my friends house and man was it crazy! The kit can practically fit into my wallet. I think its the closest thing to drumming that most people will ever encounter. It took me about a couple minutes to get used to what was red, green, yellow, blue, and orange. I was on expert soon enough and got 98% on the first try.
Some of the songs are really nuts with independence/seperation of hands and feet. Overall i thought it was really fun and realistic, except for the fact that there is only one tom audible sometimes.
Red-Snare
Yellow-Hats
Orange-Bass
Green-Crash
Blue-Ride or Tom(once in a while)

Has anyone tried it yet?
Attached Images

Last edited by TwentyEightyFive; 04-01-2008 at 02:22 AM. Reason: Add pictures
Old 04-01-2008, 02:22 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: RockBand!

I bought it, but yet I don't play the drums so often because the pads feel really awkward for me and aren't really that sensitive so I end up missing random notes for no reason. But some of the songs are really fun to play though, jeez they did a superb job on Won't Get Fooled Again, I have a blast with that.

I haven't been playing it really though and just been doing guitar when I do play RB.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:58 AM
Pioneer Member

It was kinda fun at first but got boring pretty quick. And im talking about the drums. The guitar i hated from the start.

I own guitar hero 2 and 3 and have beaten both on expert several times, so im used to playing difficult stuff on guitar. We played the supposed hardest song (something grass and high tides i think) and it was pretty boring. Besides being too easy (the guitar part that is) i found the guitar oddly built. It might be that im used to the guitar hero guitar but i found the buttons harder to press and the flicker thingy more difficult to use.

Its fun but in my eyes doesnt meet the standards of what it is hyped up to be.

Thats just me though. And we all have different tastes.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:34 AM

I bought rock band as soon as it came out in canada..but as soon as I beat the drums on expert I dont really play them too much except when I buy new songs..I'm just afraid of breaking the kit cause then my friends cant play it..I've gone through three kits already, keep breaking the red pad (I hit too hard ><)

Edit to say that The perfect drug is probably my favorite drum track on the whole game, with WGFA a close close second
Old 04-05-2008, 02:02 AM
Administrator

I have not played, and will not play Rock Band. After all I am the Garage Band Champion.. Or so I have been labeled.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:36 AM
Gold Member

meh, the game is ok...
i'd rather play my TD-6 any day, but I suppose if i didn't have that (and had a game system) I might get it. but i've found too much that just doesn't cut it for me, especially on the more complex songs.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:27 AM
Pioneer Member

I played Rock Band once and was very unimpressed with the drums. Not that I was expecting much to begin with, but I definitely wasn't left with the desire to ever play it again.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I have not played, and will not play Rock Band. After all I am the Garage Band Champion.. Or so I have been labeled.
They might bring out a variation called Garage Band in your honour. All hail the Lord of the Garage! ;o)
Old 04-07-2008, 09:31 PM
Pioneer Member

I was pished, I don't remember ever playing it, but my friends took pictures and videos of me singing....
Old 04-09-2008, 03:04 AM

I like the drums on blitzkrieg bop, nice and too fast for most people.

My opinion is that they should've done A LOT more work on getting the drums closer to the real thing. And maybe some cymbal choking, double bass, hi hat pedal, cowbells, the works....I would've appreciated something resembling cymbals. But its challenging enough for non drummers, so whatever. That one fallout boy song has some weird drumming in it(not that I played it lol), most of the songs I could just look at the notes and sight read like if it was real drum notations. I love when people mess up the syncopated stuff. Imo, probably the hardest obstacle for new drummers.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:10 AM

It's fun to play, it's nothing a proficient drummer could struggle to use. (Best songs). But for kids who just like rhythm games it's fun.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:07 PM

I had a chance to play it last weekend. Definitely fun. Most drummers are probably better off having fun with the drums part of it rather than applying anything beyond basics on it. People who have no drumming experience will probably pick up a little bit in terms of coordination but that's about it.

Some parts seemed a bit tricky for me since I have no sight reading experience and I play more based upon how I expect my individual drums to sound, rather than associating a visual pattern with a piece of music. Of course, the lack of room to improvise makes it even harder :)
Old 04-12-2008, 02:04 AM

I love doing the vocals on that game.