DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 04-09-2008, 05:07 PM

Default Change my snare wires?

I put a new batter head on my snare the other day, evans power center reverse dot, and i tuned it up, but no matter how i tuned it there was an incessant buzzing. Moongels helped but there's still some buzzing. I just want a clean 'pak' on the snare without the 'zzzz' afterwards. Could this be due to my snare wires needing a change?

I'm kind of new to the hardware stuff but i read somewhere that you should change snare wires once there are spaces between them. Looking at the pictures, i think the buzzing is because of my snare wires? There's gaps between some of the wires if you look closely

Suggestions?

Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2008, 12:49 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Change my snare wires?

I just want a clean 'pak' on the snare without the 'zzzz' afterwards. Could this be due to my snare wires needing a change?

The guy with a drum shop says "Yes", the guy with three credit cards maxed out (@30%)says "No".

Just tighten the wires, try loosing the four rods that craddle the snare bed too. 'Even' tension on the bottom head might not be your friend in this case.

What kind of snare (vertical grain) drum is that and what type of bottom head is on it?
Old 04-10-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
I just want a clean 'pak' on the snare without the 'zzzz' afterwards. Could this be due to my snare wires needing a change?

The guy with a drum shop says "Yes", the guy with three credit cards maxed out (@30%)says "No".

Just tighten the wires, try loosing the four rods that craddle the snare bed too. 'Even' tension on the bottom head might not be your friend in this case.

What kind of snare (vertical grain) drum is that and what type of bottom head is on it?

Hahaha yea I checked out the price on new snare wires the other day and I was shocked.

I loosen the 4 rods that cradle the snare bed? I watched a video on tuning and the guy said to TIGHTEN the 4 rods around the snare bed. Hmm...

Its a pearl target snare with a stock reso. Do you think changing the reso would cut out the buzzing?

Thanks for your help
Old 04-10-2008, 10:46 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
just want a clean 'pak' on the snare without the 'zzzz' afterwards.
No, you dont.

Snare wires will buzz, even when you hit other parts of the kit. Leave them open and retain some sense of liveliness in the sound.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffanyl View Post
I loosen the 4 rods that cradle the snare bed? I watched a video on tuning and the guy said to TIGHTEN the 4 rods around the snare bed. Hmm...
You want less snare response, so you want less sensitivity from the bottom head. Tightening the head gives more sensitivity and loosening lessens it. Therefore you want to loosen the four screws around the snare bed.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
You want less snare response, so you want less sensitivity from the bottom head. Tightening the head gives more sensitivity and loosening lessens it. Therefore you want to loosen the four screws around the snare bed.
This is one of the simplest, easiest to understand explanations I've heard. Thanks for posting it.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:46 PM
Platinum Member

I watched a video on tuning and the guy said to TIGHTEN the 4 rods around the snare bed. Hmm...

There's no set rule for every drum. Your bearing edges/snare-bed may have issues. Try both tight and loose and yes, a different head on the bottom may do the trick, it doesn't have to be a dedicated snare bottom head.

Judging from pics of the 'Target' series, the shell's look like a course grain wood.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...US268%26sa%3DN

What will help is sealing the bearing edges. You can do this easily with clear nail polish brushed on then smothed over with a rag, do a few coats. You may want to sand with fine sandpaper beforehand, this is something you could easily do without going into 'big production finishing mode' i.e removing all the hardware and haveing the drums laid up for days.

Sets with this light, corse-open grain wood are good candidates for a hard finish on the insides of the shells, a polyurathane, or even polyester resin type coating. This type of finish will provide a reflective interior (louder) and really tighten up the shell giving more muscle to the sound.

A snare drum with light wood and light hardware like the Target's benefit from a 'thin' reso head also. Tune it way loose, just till you get a tone out of it, then crank the snares tight, then back off to where they sound good.

Another factor may be the snare cord or whatevers holding your wires (snares). If it stretches, you won't be able to get good tension on the snares for obvious reasons, check it out.

Last edited by Les Ismore; 04-11-2008 at 10:31 PM.