DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 04-05-2008, 11:39 PM

Default good heads for metal.

can someone recommend to me some good drum heads for metal music.
I play the more traditional metal so what would be good for me.
Maybe 2 ply remo pinstripes?

anyway if some people would like to help me with this it would be great.
Thanks
Old 04-05-2008, 11:58 PM

Default Re: good heads for metal.

I use pinstripes on my 8, 10, 12, 14 & 16 inch toms.

I love the sound. Weighty, no overhang. They're durable and i prefer the looks of clear heads (Not that it's important, but it's a personal choice). Many here reckon Pinstripes on 8s & 10s sound too dead, but I hit 'em hard and i don't like to have any overhang because i do a lot of high speed roles and like to hear definite 'air' between the beats.

My snare has a coated Emperor X. Again, no overhang, weighty, durable. Not too good for ghost notes mind as they respond best to a solid whack.

I've used Powerstroke 3s on my kicks until very recently. I've just changed to a Powersonic because i didn't want additional damping in my kick. Only done one gig with it at the moment though so can't give that accurate a feedback for it. (Sounded good though IMO)

Oh yeah...I play metal.

:-)
Old 04-08-2008, 03:14 PM

Toms: Emperor Clears or Pinstripes

Kicks: Powerstroke 3's

Snare: Coated pinstripe or Controlled Sound head
Old 04-08-2008, 03:42 PM
greenshirt77

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKick View Post
Toms: Emperor Clears or Pinstripes

Kicks: Powerstroke 3's

Snare: Coated pinstripe or Controlled Sound head
All 3 are good recommendations- however, the snare, more than toms or kick, will elicit many diff opinions on what's best for a certain type of music. You'll just have to try a few to see what you like best.
There was a time when I was playing heavier music and used a coated ambassador on the snare. I would usually throw a few pieces of duct tape around the edged to dampen some of the ring, but with the heavier, more controlled heads, that's not always necessary.
On the kick- you could also check out the Powersonic (also Remo). This has a adjustable dampening system that gives to more control over how open you do or don't want your kick to be. Tuned extremely well, you can get a monstorous thud out of the Powersonic. Again, it will be a matter of your specific taste.

I'm using Aquarians now. For metal- assuming you want more of a "thud"- I would think the Superkick II for the kick (you can get this in a pack that included the front Regulator head w/mic hole) and the Super Performance II for the toms would work well. On the snare, I can't really say, as I'm not as familiar with anything other than the Focus-X for the snare. I do like it alot though.

No matter what heads you buy, make sure your tuning them properly. Too many people slap heads on, don't tune properly, and assume the heads aren't what they're looking for or that they're crappy heads. Proper tuning is key.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:50 PM

I'm gonna say Evans G2's on the toms, EQ3 or 4 on the kick, and coated Genera or G1 on the snare depending on your preference.