Old 12-28-2007, 07:10 PM

Default Aquarian Heads

Any one have some experience with them?
..Vs. Remo?, Evans?
Goods, Bads
Anything really!
Old 12-29-2007, 01:51 AM

Default Re: Aquarian Heads

I've been using Aquarian drumheads for 2 years. I'm currently using the Jack Dejohnette signature heads. In my opinion, there a great drumhead.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:58 AM

I can second that about the Jack Dejohnette heads. Great quality, great sound. My only gripe is that they're a little pricey...
Old 12-29-2007, 06:57 AM
Platinum Member

I'll third, AQUARIAN are great heads ;-)

My Kit Latest Update
Old 12-29-2007, 04:11 PM
Silver Member

Fourth'd.

Old 12-29-2007, 04:36 PM
Gold Member

I'm kind of an evans guy, I'm not really interested in Remo but I want to know what snare head I should get next, I'm looking for something dry (my current favorite head is the Genera Dry). Any suggestions from Aquarian?
Old 12-29-2007, 05:03 PM

Here's a chart (scroll down to middle of page) comparing the Aquarian heads with other brands, should help in picking something based on what Remo or Evans heads you like.

http://www.aquariandrumheads.com/dru...ps/default.asp
Old 12-29-2007, 06:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pasquini View Post
I'm kind of an evans guy, I'm not really interested in Remo but I want to know what snare head I should get next, I'm looking for something dry (my current favorite head is the Genera Dry). Any suggestions from Aquarian?

Go for the Aquarian Focus-X, very dry and just little amount of overtone.

My Kit Latest Update
Old 12-30-2007, 06:38 AM
Rickk

I switched from Evans to Aquarian, currently the TC line and SK1 Classic Clear Res heads
The best move for my taste.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:01 AM
fourstringdrums

I've used them off and on over the years. The coated Studio-X heads are really great. They give a nice round, warm tone. The Superkick II heads are some of the best that will instantly change your bass drum tone. I've also use the Response II heads but I don't remember how they sounded, as well as the Focus-X snare head but honestly I didn't like how it sounded on the snare I had at the time. I've also use the Texture Coated heads and had mixed feelings about it. The first time it was great, and it was an amazingly sensitive and articulate snare that opened the drum up quite substantially. The second time it really didn't wow me that much and the coating actually flaked off and the head split within two weeks, but it may have been a bad head.

I currently use Evans but I was thinking of trying them again.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:15 AM

I can tell you that I got a starter drumset -- Peace and gave been upgrading things (Zildjian cymbals for example). The bass had this echoing sound. I replaced the head with an Aquarian Superkick II head and it sounds like a whole new bass drum. I was really impressed.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:42 AM
Platinum Member

Oh ! I forgot the new Z-100 coating should make a good difference too. It should make the head thinner than their previous coating but still very durable.

My Kit Latest Update
Old 12-31-2007, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_drummer View Post
Go for the Aquarian Focus-X, very dry and just little amount of overtone.
I second mind-drummer's opinion. I have a Focus-X on my primary snare and a Genera Dry on my side snare. They are both dry with just a small amount of ring when tuned on the high side. I like both heads. I'm every happy with the durability of the coating on Aquarian heads. I've had the Focus-X on my snare for about a year and it's just now starting to chip in one spot about the size of a nickel.

http://punchdrunkmonday.com

Old 12-31-2007, 03:47 PM
Pioneer Member

I've been using clear Studio-X's on my toms for about a year now and I don't plan on changing that any time soon.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:40 AM
Platinum Member

I think I'm going to take the dive and try Aquarian, all-around, for my next head purchase.

Maybe you guys could help point me in the right direction....

I like single ply heads on my DW kit and I really like the single-ply stock heads (Remo) that they come with...other than I'd prefer coated heads for warmth and a more mellow attack.

So, for toms, I'm after a thin, single-ply, coated head...similar in the weight of the stock Remo DW heads that DW kits come with. For the snare, what's the equivalent of a coated ambassador/ambassador snare? I use a Powerstroke 3 on the kick now, but I hear the Aquarian Super Kick 2 is a winner? I wanted a coated kick batter this time...is there a coated SK2?

In a catalog I got not long ago, I saw that Aquarian has coated/clear mixed heads, similar to what Remo makes for DW...anyone have any experience w/ those?

Thanks guys!
Old 01-03-2008, 07:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
I think I'm going to take the dive and try Aquarian, all-around, for my next head purchase.

Maybe you guys could help point me in the right direction....

I like single ply heads on my DW kit and I really like the single-ply stock heads (Remo) that they come with...other than I'd prefer coated heads for warmth and a more mellow attack.

So, for toms, I'm after a thin, single-ply, coated head...similar in the weight of the stock Remo DW heads that DW kits come with. For the snare, what's the equivalent of a coated ambassador/ambassador snare? I use a Powerstroke 3 on the kick now, but I hear the Aquarian Super Kick 2 is a winner? I wanted a coated kick batter this time...is there a coated SK2?

In a catalog I got not long ago, I saw that Aquarian has coated/clear mixed heads, similar to what Remo makes for DW...anyone have any experience w/ those?

Thanks guys!

My best bet since you like thin and coated head for toms would be first the texture coated but they fell thicker than ambassador (which I like) but if they come with the new Aquarian Z-100 coating formula then it should feel and sound the same as ambs. The DW stock head remind me of the Studio-X, single ply head with light coated muffling ring which doesn't touch the bearing edge, it enable the head to vibrate freely and provide tone with just enough muffling to dampen just enough overtone.

For the snare you have two choice, first the texture coated and second if you want something new, try the Modern Vintage medium weight which emule the calf skin. Very responsive, bright head with lot of tone & resonance.

For the bass drum, I recommend the Superkick I instead of the SKII, the single ply with felt muffling ring is very open and resonant but muffle just the good amount of overtone. My philosophy is, it's easier to muffle or dampen the SKI (with blanket or pillow) than unmuffle the SKII which is two ply head with felt muffling ring. You can also go with the coated SuperKick I which will be little bit more muffled than clear SKI for a more controlled and focused sound. I doubt you'll like a coated SKII on you bass drum because I think it will cut too much tone. If you really want an open bass drum sound with a coated Aquarian bass drum head then look at the coated Force I, single coated ply with light vented inner muffling ring, very open & resonant.

My Kit Latest Update
Old 01-03-2008, 07:21 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
The DW stock head remind me of the Studio-X, single ply head with light coated muffling ring which doesn't touch the bearing edge, it enable the head to vibrate freely and provide tone with just enough muffling to dampen just enough overtone.
Cool, I'll definitely check out both and weight the options. Studio-X sounds more to my liking...I like my tom heads thin, I think I play differently w/ thin heads...and I like the subtle tones I can pull out w/ thin singly-plys.

Quote:
For the snare you have two choice, first the texture coated and second if you want something new, try the Modern Vintage medium weight which emule the calf skin. Very responsive, bright head with lot of tone & resonance.
Reminds me of Fiberskyns, which I didn't like on my snare, simply for the durability (or lack thereof, rather) The New Orleans snare heads look interesting...I wonder how they sound?

Quote:
For the bass drum, I recommend the Superkick I instead of the SKII, the single ply with felt muffling ring is very open and resonant but muffle just the good amount of overtone.
The SK1 sounds like a better head, for me. I don't like double-ply kick heads too much...for the same reasons as my toms...I want it somewhat wide-open. The only muffling I use is the DW kick pillow that comes w/ the kit.

Thanks for the info!
Old 01-04-2008, 05:22 AM
Rickk

I agree with Mind Drummer, I use the same set up except the standard TC (Texture Coated) on my DW and they sound fantastic.
Don't forget the Res heads 30% of your sound comes from them, if your going Aquarian then use the Classic Clear Res heads. I keep my bottom heads tighter and adjust the tops until I get the sound I am looking for, hope that helps.

Rick
Old 01-04-2008, 05:29 AM

I use Texture Coated on the snare and tom heads of my Mapex Pro M, and really like the sound. No problem with durability at all, either.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:01 PM
Platinum Member

How about the Power-Thin line? Anyone familiar and experienced w/ them? I like the design...sort of a hybrid coated/clear, if that's in fact what they are?
Old 01-04-2008, 06:09 PM
Silver Member

A clear, single ply, medium weight head that features an ultra thin layer of our Power Dot material on top. This special Power Dot covers the main playing area of the drumhead. The Power-Thin™ is extremely durable while maintaining an open, sustained sound.

I would say it is comparable to a Remo clear with black dot. I never tried them.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmoon View Post
A clear, single ply, medium weight head that features an ultra thin layer of our Power Dot material on top. This special Power Dot covers the main playing area of the drumhead. The Power-Thin™ is extremely durable while maintaining an open, sustained sound.

I would say it is comparable to a Remo clear with black dot. I never tried them.
Me either

I think Craig Blundell tried them not sure though and cant remember his impressions on them, since he swore only by double-thin he found out the Super-2 were is heads, otherwise, I never really heard or remember anyone telling me, he use Powerthin over the kit but I know some tried them on snare and were satisfied.

Sorry cant help

My Kit Latest Update
Old 04-02-2008, 11:20 PM

even though my signature says Evans, and i do use evans 99% of the time, I'm using an Aquarian Superkick II on my bass drum batter right now. sound soo good. I wish Evans made the EMAD in a 26" cause i was using that on my old set in a 22". I've got an EQ3 coated batter on the way though, i'll tell you how they compare later.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:23 AM
greenshirt77

This thread is a bit old, but I felt compelled to add my .02 as I just purchased Aquarians for the first time.
I have been hearing many sing the praises of Aquarian heads for sometime and decided to give them a go. I have always been a big Remo guy, not so much Evans. Evans seems like a good company, but I could never find a heads in their line-up that 100% suited my needs.
I recently purchased a custom RCI acrylic kit and thought it would be a good time to try the Aquarians. Right out of the gate, I will tell you that these will prob end up being my fave heads ever.
I did a lot of research and decided, based on my tastes, to go with Studio-X for the toms (12, 13, 16) a Focus-X for the snare, and a Superkick for the kick. Wanted a SKII, but both me and the guy at Guitar Center did not notice that what I grabbed was a Superkick 1. Well, no matter, the Superkick 1 sounds absolutely incredible.
After just a week or so of some breaking in and fine tuning, they are sounding incredibly sweet. The RCI's are LOUD, and I prefer to play Bonham style, with little or no muffling. I have Aquarian Studio Rings on the toms, nothing on the snare or in the kick.
You have to be meticulous with the tuning, which I am, but when you find the "sweet spot"- that wonderful place where the optimum tone of the drum and meticulous even tuning come together- it is amazing.
Anyone on the fence with these should give them a go, but research their line before you buy. Read reviews, check out the info on the Aquarian site, ask the company questions, or ask someone you trust in the drum dept of a music store. The exact head you get makes a huge diff depending on your playing style and the sound you want.
I play various styles of rock, but I do play hard and, on my toms, I like a good punch that falls neatly between what I consider too high of a pop and too low of a thud, and these seem to do the trick well. The Aquarian Super Performance II are made to be tuned a bit on the low side, so if you want the low thud out of your toms, these may be for you.
Lastly, tuning is everything- you can buy the best heads in the world, but if they are not tuned properly, they can sound like the worst heads in the world.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenshirt77 View Post
This thread is a bit old, but I felt compelled to add my .02 as I just purchased Aquarians for the first time.
I have been hearing many sing the praises of Aquarian heads for sometime and decided to give them a go. I have always been a big Remo guy, not so much Evans. Evans seems like a good company, but I could never find a heads in their line-up that 100% suited my needs.
I recently purchased a custom RCI acrylic kit and thought it would be a good time to try the Aquarians. Right out of the gate, I will tell you that these will prob end up being my fave heads ever.
I did a lot of research and decided, based on my tastes, to go with Studio-X for the toms (12, 13, 16) a Focus-X for the snare, and a Superkick for the kick. Wanted a SKII, but both me and the guy at Guitar Center did not notice that what I grabbed was a Superkick 1. Well, no matter, the Superkick 1 sounds absolutely incredible.
After just a week or so of some breaking in and fine tuning, they are sounding incredibly sweet. The RCI's are LOUD, and I prefer to play Bonham style, with little or no muffling. I have Aquarian Studio Rings on the toms, nothing on the snare or in the kick.
You have to be meticulous with the tuning, which I am, but when you find the "sweet spot"- that wonderful place where the optimum tone of the drum and meticulous even tuning come together- it is amazing.
Anyone on the fence with these should give them a go, but research their line before you buy. Read reviews, check out the info on the Aquarian site, ask the company questions, or ask someone you trust in the drum dept of a music store. The exact head you get makes a huge diff depending on your playing style and the sound you want.
I play various styles of rock, but I do play hard and, on my toms, I like a good punch that falls neatly between what I consider too high of a pop and too low of a thud, and these seem to do the trick well. The Aquarian Super Performance II are made to be tuned a bit on the low side, so if you want the low thud out of your toms, these may be for you.
Lastly, tuning is everything- you can buy the best heads in the world, but if they are not tuned properly, they can sound like the worst heads in the world.
Congrats & welcome in the family !

Glad you like them and have found your "new" sound. That was a sign of god to let you leave with the SuperKick I because if you want more muffling you can always use a small pillow.

My Kit Latest Update
Old 04-07-2008, 03:06 PM
greenshirt77

Thanks for the welcoming words.
As far as the SK, I agree that it may have been a blessing in disquise. After tuning up the SK1, giving it some spirited breaking in, and fine tuning again, it sounds fantastic with NO muffling.
Of course if I had a solid head on the front, a small pillow or similar may be required to keep it tame, but I've got the Aquarian Regulator on mine, and the mic hole and muffling ring help to keep it from shaking the house off it's foundation. Just barely. lol
Old 04-07-2008, 03:58 PM
DW PRO DRUMMER

I've been using and endorsing Aquarian Drumheads since 1989. That alone should tell you what I think of the drumheads.

On my FIBES (Jasper maple shells) kit:
  • Full Force on the Kick
  • Super-2 on the Toms (batter)
  • Texture Coated w/Power Dot (underneath) on the Snare
  • Classic Clears (resonant)

On my Gretsch (c.1968) Progressive Jazz kit:
  • American Vintage (with felt strip) on the Kick
  • American Vintage (medium) on the Toms (batter)
  • American Vintage on the Snare
  • American Vintage (thin) on the Toms (resonant)

On my Yamaha Recording Customs (c.1984) kit:
  • Super Kick I on the Kick
  • Texture Coated on the Toms (batter)
  • Texture Coated on the Snare
  • Hi-Frequency on the Toms (resonant)