DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 04-03-2008, 02:47 AM
Silver Member

Default The One That Got Away...

...Hola dot comrades.

First of all, thank you for all of the replies to the "Purchase Regrets" thread.

Now comes the thread where we get to express our regrets for that deal that fell through, or for that piece of your drumming soul that you (for whatever the reason) let slip away.

I have two, and they both involve cymbals. Back when I was a relative nooob, I lived in a drum gear starved little corner of the frozen north. There was one regional music store that would regularily rent space in our local mall, bring in a boatload of cheap Taiwanese ca ca, and fleece the locals out their hard earned farming/logging/oilpatch dollars. I hated these guys.

Every now and again though, they would have some little gem that they did not know the value of, and if you were sharp, you could wrangle the odd deal. Such was the case when they had an 18" Sabian HH flat ride marked as an 18" B-8 crash, and overpriced accordingly. I was going to comment to the dork behind the counter about his lack of cymbal knowledge, but shut up rather quickly when he told me that the cymbal was 50% off of it's list price. I could have had that cymbal for $75.00 Canadian. Problem one, my darling wife was with me, and she had not yet been worn down by my incessant drum purchases. Problem two was that I did not have 75 cents let alone 75 dollars. I still regret that as that was in the words of Napoleon Dynamite,"one sweet ride".

Regret number two was getting rid of a 20" sabian HH dark china. I have always had this love/hate thing with china cymbals, but that particular one was more love than hate. I made a deal with a guy to buy a Gretsch round badge kit, 20x14, 12x8, 14x14. He took a Tama rock star kit with cymbals and hardware plus he gave me $500.00. The one thing that he insisted on to make this deal was the dark china. I saw that cymbal in the used pile at Mothers Music a few months later, but did not know it was my old one untill the guy I traded with told me that he did not like it, so he traded it in . I was pissed for weeks over that, in fact, I am still a little pissed about it all these years later, hence it is number two on my list.

How about you ? I am sure that many of you have similar stories, and I am hoping that they are not too painful for you to share.

Thank you in advance, and I look forward to your replies.

Barry
Old 04-03-2008, 10:05 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: The One That Got Away...

Two stick out right off the bat, oops three:

1) About 1984 a local store (Tama dealer) had a used Tama 6.5"x14" Bell brass, one of the originals for $400. I didn't buy it....

2) I added onto my first kit with a couple of old Ludwigs that matched my blue sparkle US Mercury's. Traded the kit for another plus some cash.. The Wigs were '57's and pristine... still kicking myself.

3) A friend offered to sell me his Ludwig hammered bronze 6.5" snare, twin channelled die cast hoops and all for $175. I didn't have the cash, but could have borrowed it. Girlfriend at the time talked me out of it, because "it'd be better to not borrow the money." I later bought a new one, Ludwig had quit making the twin channels, and I almost didn't find one for the bottom. Still have the drum and its one of my favs. The Girlfriend..... I forgot her name....
Old 04-03-2008, 05:51 PM
Platinum Member

I've gotten everything I ever wanted. I guess my biggest regret about not getting something would be not getting a second Hang drum in 2004, before they were popular. Now they're going for up to 10 times the original purchase price!
Old 04-03-2008, 06:53 PM
Platinum Member

My big regret was selling this really cool older Zildjian 20" cymbal.

I got it used, around 1989, and it's not like it was this 'perfect' sounding cymbal either, but I really liked it.
It had a lot of character because it had all the old pits, and some small "cut gouges" I guess I'd describe them.

It didn't affect the sound weirdly, like a big defect or anything like that.

The more "seasoned" guys will remember what cymbals looked like in the 60's & 70's, before everything looked "all perfect" for the Mom's and Dad's buying crap for Jr. at GC...

I just liked that cymbal, and how it looked as well as the deeper tone from it.
It felt good playing it too.

There was a Ziljian day here in Detroit a looong time ago, and I described the cymbal to Lennie DiMussio, and said it looked like an old K, but it was stamped as an A.

He didn't say it was a miss stamp, but, he said it was possible, but I'm pretty sure it was just an A.

I sold it because I needed some brighter sounding cymbals for a band I was in around '94-'95, and back then, I couldn't just go, "I'll just keep it and get another one" like I can now.

The one that got away....it still bums me out a little.
I don't sell anything now because of that cymbal....even though I probably should...
Old 04-03-2008, 07:13 PM
Silver Member

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OLD-12-SPLASH-...QQcmdZViewItem

It doesn't look like much, but if you notice the part of the stamp still remaining you can see it's a K.Zildjian splash, and it went for 8.50 !!! I fell asleep so i lost out by 50p.

Tom
Old 04-03-2008, 08:07 PM
Gold Member

New Years Eve, 2006

2 weeks prior, I had ordered my starclassic kit from GC. It was on order. Needed 4 weeks to get there. Needless to say, it hadn't arrived.

Anyway, went to GC on New Years Eve at about 25 mins before they were closing and they had a new, piano black, six piece Yamaha Absolute Birch Novoeau (spelling) they were trying to push out the door for $900. I had spent 2100 on my Starclassics.

I thought to myself, I will think about this and come in the day after new years and get it if I changed my mind, then just cancel the starclassic order.

On New Years Day, I realized that this was something I should have done on the spot. I wasn't really familiar with Yamaha drums, so I wanted to do research on them. After I did my

I called first thing on Jan 2 and asked if the kit was still there. It was! So I told them I wanted to buy them over the phone by CC for the $900. The deal had ended!!! I begged them to let me do it, but it was a no go. Manager was letting them go on NYE so cheap to try and meet numbers for 2006.

The set sold later that month for 1999.

I love my Starclassics, but never stopped kicking myself for letting it go.

Last edited by mikei; 04-03-2008 at 10:12 PM.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:32 AM

It's ironic that this post follows Mikei's because I sent him a private message back in December. I wanted his opinion about a Ludwig Supra-Phonic Snare. He had just posted some positive comments about his.

I had this 20% discount letter from an on-line retailer that was valid through 12/31/07. I had the hots, still do, for a Ludwig LM400 Supra-Phonic Snare. If my memory serves me correct I believe their price before the discount was $379.95. They were also advertising an additional 10% off on a holiday promotion, anyway, I could have purchased that Snare Drum for about $275.00. Instead I tore the discount letter up because the temptation was too much for me to resist.

Another great thread Barry.

Hugh
Old 04-04-2008, 08:24 PM
Pioneer Member

I have a few regrets:
#1.When I was 18 I traded a mid 50's maybe 40's 16" K-istanbul for a 16" medium crash, Saw the same type cymbal for about $600 for sale on E-bay last year.

#2. I sold a 28" 1940's Leedy kick for about $40. (I miss that thing)

#3. When I was 24 I traded a '57' slingerland kit for a 5 piece pearl export. (Just stupid)

#4 I had a chance to get a set of ludwig vistalites in blue for about $200, with the 26" kick but didn't act fast enough.

Christian Drummers Army
Playing Weapons of Mass Percussion
Old 04-05-2008, 01:30 PM

Back in "86 my moms boyfriend sold me a set of drums, cymbals, and hard cases for $400. I beat on them for a bit, got bored, and sold them for party money.

20 years later I find some old pics of them...a 5 piece set of Arcrylic Slingerlands with Paiste 2002 cymbals. Wish I had been smart enough to know what I had back then, because boy, I sure do now.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:20 AM

Missed this today - was at a fancy lunch with the girlfriend and her family:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12-Zildjian-th...QQcmdZViewItem

But is a tad expensive anyway. When i saw it 8 hours before the ending, only 11.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:21 AM

My regrets? Everything I've ever sold. I miss them all.