DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 04-03-2008, 04:31 AM

Default Hi Hat Carpet Creep

I'm having a problem with my Roland hi-hat pedal creeping across the carpet as I play. I've got the spikes fully extended and it still moves. I'm looking for some kind of "super velcro". I don't know what it's really called but it's on the bottom of my kick drum pedals and they stick like they're glued down. Each kick pedal has a couple strips, maybe 3/4" wide by a few inches long. The teeth on this stuff is much more aggressive than regular velcro. I tried using some regular velcro on the HH pedals but no luck. Does anyone know where to find this carpet-gripping super velcro??

Thanks
Old 04-03-2008, 09:08 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Hi Hat Carpet Creep

I think the problem may be more with your carpet. If it has a deep pile, it won't hold to scratchy velcro as well as a carpet with low pile. What kind of carpet do you have?
Old 04-04-2008, 02:22 AM
Pioneer Member

You can pick up the "heavy duty" velcro at most home depot or Lowe's hardware stores. Deathmetal was right if your carpet is fluffy (has a high pile to it) things don't grip as well as say a berber or no pile commercial type carpet
Old 04-04-2008, 02:28 AM

I suggest getting a strip of nylon strapping (like the straps on a backpack or duffel bag)and connecting it from your throne to your high hat stand, along the ground. You could attach it to a foot of your throne and to the baseplate of the high hat. I use this method to secure my bass drum from creeping forward. If it can hold a bass drum, it can hold your highhat. Plus it makes set up easy. If you keep the nylon strap the same length, your high hat will always be the same distance from your throne.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:18 PM

It's not the carpet. My kick pedals have this "super velcro" underneath and they never move. In fact, getting them to move is like ripping them from the carpet (not easy).

I thought about using a strap to the throne but that's not a particularly clean solution in terms of positioning (for starters, there's four pedals to navigate around).

I'll check out the home centers, but the last one I was in had something called "heavy duty velcro" which was nowhere near like the stuff on my kick pedals (which I guess is really more like rows of tiny plastic needle-teeth).
Old 04-04-2008, 05:57 PM
Pioneer Member

Most pedals I've had use the "scratchy" side of the velcro on the bottom, I think it's called the "hook" side of the velcro. The industrial stuff has a stronger adhesive on it and the stuff sticks!