DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 03-26-2008, 04:41 AM
Mystic

Default Powerstroke 4 and emperors

What is the sound difference? I have the Powerstroke 3's and I like them, but I am trying to get more attack and somewhat of a tribal sound out of my toms. I'm even thinking of trying out aquarian, but I don't know anything about their heads. Like what their equivalent to emperor or PS 4 heads is.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:43 AM
Mystic

Default Re: Powerstroke 4 and emperors

I forgot to add what is a great snare head, like one that kills all of that annoying ringing sound but also get a good crack, and please stick to remo and aquarian, because I don't like evans too much.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:18 AM
Platinum Member

What is the sound difference?

PS 4 is an Emperor with a ring on the inside...dead city. 12" on up sound , well... they don't really sound, imagine Ebony Pinstripes, but even deader. You can always cut the ring out if you don't like the sound.

Aquarian Super 2 with ring is close to PS 4.

Try dampening.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:30 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
I forgot to add what is a great snare head, like one that kills all of that annoying ringing sound but also get a good crack, and please stick to remo and aquarian, because I don't like evans too much.
In the Remo line, you would be looking at a Powerstroke 3 or a Powerstroke 4.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Old 03-26-2008, 04:51 PM
Platinum Member

Aquarian's Hi-Energy snare head will still give you some tone, but it kills the overtones.
It'll last a long time too.

Pretty nice sounding head.

Remo Emperor X head is pretty dead, but still has what you do want in a snare head of this nature.

Remo Emps overall have a great sound, and are durable under heavy playing.
If you use Moon Gel, that will cut down the overtones to about nothing, depending on how much you use.

By using Moon Gel (or tape, or whatever), YOU are determining how much muffling you have, rather than getting heads that are pre muffled, and being stuck with the sound you get.

A smaller tom isn't going to need much to dampen, as opposed to a big floor tom, so why get a head that has a big ring in it and loose everything?

To achieve the sound you want, I'd get heads from whatever maker you like, and use Moon Gel.

Aquarian's 2 ply heads are warmer sounding than Emps to my ears, but that makes their attack sound a little "softer" (to me anyway).

I'd experiment with just 1 or 2 heads first before investing in heads for the whole kit so you can see what works best for you.

Just my .02
Old 03-26-2008, 06:19 PM
Mystic

Thanks everyone, so I am looking at PS4s for my next drum head upgrade, but I am a little iffy on getting a PS4 for my snare, because it has that ring and would that make it harder to hear ghost notes if your hitting the ring, so I am looking at PS4 on toms and bass than emperor on snare.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
Thanks everyone, so I am looking at PS4s for my next drum head upgrade, but I am a little iffy on getting a PS4 for my snare, because it has that ring and would that make it harder to hear ghost notes if your hitting the ring, so I am looking at PS4 on toms and bass than emperor on snare.
I've tried the PS4 on a snare and toms, to quote Les Ismore "dead city". I keep going back to Emperor's over Ambassadors on toms and Ambassador on the snare. I do however run PS4's on my bass, front and back. I love the deep sound with no muffling.

Hugh