DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 10-11-2007, 06:36 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Powerstroke 3

Just me, or does this head seem like it's "forgotten" except for kick drums?
I rarely seem to see it used on toms, although the Remo guide states it's just a single-ply 10mm head (like an Ambassador), but with a muffle ring built in.
Does this not put it in the rhealm of say an Aquarian Studio X, or even those factory DW heads? Strange.
Cheers
Old 10-12-2007, 04:35 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Powerstroke 3

There have been a couple mentions of the PS3 on the board recently. They're not like the StudioX though. The StudioX heads have a muffle ring entirely glued to the bottom of the head, whereas the PS3's muffle ring only attaches at the collar and barely touches the head above. PS3 only dampens some of the higher ringing. The StudioX is a more muted, controlled sound. The PS3 would be more similar to the FocusX- though I'm not sure the thickness of this head and its muffle ring is vented.

Aquarian's site could stand to have a little more info on their heads. The descriptions are pretty vague. I think the Super2 has a muffle ring similar to the PS3, but I am not for sure. I know it is a 2ply though. The Force heads seem to be similar to PS3s as well, but for kick.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:05 PM
Pioneer Member

The Fiberskyn Powerstroke heads should be put into a category by themselves. These things are pretty much the most dampened head out there. I have two on my bass drum which was a mistake as they pretty much killed the sound. One is ok, just not two. I know they sell these for toms but unless your drum is acrylic or something I wouldn't recommend them. I could see coated powerstrokes being used on say an 18" floor tom for example. They even make Renaissance Powerstroke heads. I'm not sure what they are going for anymore. I guess people want tonally dead drums. Then again Evans has those EC models which sort of resemble Pinstripes. Remo has the Powersonic to mimic Superkicks I suppose.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:45 PM
Big_Philly

I am expecting a set of Powerstroke 3's for my toms next week, I'll be sure to let you all know how they sound.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:44 AM
Gold Member

I used the PS3 on my Tama Superstar 8x14 snare several years ago, it was perfect for that snare. If you have a ringy snare it tames it down well.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 10-15-2007, 07:04 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendozart View Post
I used the PS3 on my Tama Superstar 8x14 snare several years ago, it was perfect for that snare. If you have a ringy snare it tames it down well.
Yes, I too have used a Powerstroke 3 on my snare...actually quite impressed.
But, I'm really curious about what seems to be the lack of use on toms, particularly the clear version, which again is a single-ply 10ml head with just a muffling device built in.
Not so much different than say a clear ambassador with moon gel, or a zero ring?
Big Philly, I'll look forward to your review!
Phil
Old 10-15-2007, 04:59 PM
Gold Member

Actually, IIRC, I think Skitch has used them on his DW toms with positive results.

Old 10-16-2007, 11:45 PM
Big_Philly

Quote:
Actually, IIRC, I think Skitch has used them on his DW toms with positive results.
Yeah, he did mention that. Some claim that the PS3's are underrated heads that deserve more credit and popularity than they get.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:00 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooltonboy View Post
Yes, I too have used a Powerstroke 3 on my snare...actually quite impressed.
But, I'm really curious about what seems to be the lack of use on toms, particularly the clear version, which again is a single-ply 10ml head with just a muffling device built in.
Not so much different than say a clear ambassador with moon gel, or a zero ring?
Big Philly, I'll look forward to your review!
Phil
I have used these on my toms and I did like them! The 15" suspended floor tom was really tamed down! I would say these are an Ambassador with the zero ring built in. I didn't really need this head on a 10" or 12" tom. But I do look forward to Big Philly's review and see what his thoughts are.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Old 10-21-2007, 12:52 AM
Big_Philly

I'm aching to give a review but I didn't get them yet... this is starting to bother me, it's not the first time this shop delivers late, but i'm sure they'll get here within a reasonable amount of time. I did play a snaredrum with a coated powerstroke 3 the other day at a practise studio. Or actually, I played the remainder of a snaredrum with the remainder of a coated powerstroke 3. Practically all coating had worn off and the snaredrum showed obvious signs of mistreatment, which is the disadvantage of a practise studio where anyone can come and play. For 30 euros per evening, split over an entire band it's not much money, so any fool can come and play and some of the drummers that go there really don't seem to treat the kits there with any respect. I often find them tuned to sound like a cardboard box, with tom angles that just make me vomit (they were literally aimed away from each other one time).

Anyway, I didn't like that type of head on a snare drum, I like high-pitched singing in a snare drum, but that snare drum had a lot of body, which is a good sign for the PS3's.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:51 PM
Big_Philly

Well after months of waiting I finally got my Powerstroke 3's. For those of you who havent heard the story behind them and would like to know:

[long story]
When I ordered my drum kit I ordered an additional floor tom along with it. The kit was there in 3 weeks, the floor tom would take 3 months. So after 3 months I checked to see if it was there yet and they said no, it'll be a little longer. By the end of july they claimed it would be there the first week of august, 2nd week of august it became "in august for sure"... eventually I got the floor tom halfway through september. Needless to say I wasn't too pleased, what would originally take 3 months now took 6. So I complained and said I wanted a set of free heads for my toms. After some discussion I was promised free clear powerstroke 3's for all my toms. Weeks later I got a set of clear ambassadors and a coated powerstroke 3, which I returned. Another few weeks later (which was the day before yesterday) I finally got the powerstroke 3's
[/long story]

Actual review:

Well I wasted no time and put them on my drum kit. I had to seat them first, as usual, and even after that they were quite difficult to tune! I think that's due to them being new, I also found it hard to get a decent sound out of my floor tom when I finally got it and equipped a new Remo Emperor on it. But now I have them sounding pretty good.
The first thing I noticed about the new heads was the attack: these heads have a lot more attack than the emperors I used to have. Some of that will wear off in time but the sound is a lot fatter.
The second thing I noticed is the decay. PS3's have a damping ring, much like an O-ring but thinner, on the outer edge of the head. I expected a deep sound with quick decay, but the sustain is about as long as the sustain I had when I still had emperors on it, but slightly darker.

Overall I like the sound of these heads - so far. I only had them for two days now so they're still very new, the characteristics of the head will change after they've been beaten a lot. I will keep you informed how the PS3's sound evolves and how long they will last etc.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:56 PM

Thanks for the input, Big_Philly.

I've been wanting info on tom performance with the PS3s. I've also been (unsuccessfully) looking for results with similar heads like the Aquarian Focus-X on toms.

Really looking forward to your evaluation of the "aged in" sound.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:22 PM
Platinum Member

Woo! Finally. The clear heads will give you that slappy attack, yes. The fact that the muffle rings only barely come in contact with the rest of the head is why you get a nice long decay, instead of a short one as with Pinstripes or StudioX for example. Hopefully I'll be slapping some PS3s on my toms in the next few months.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:29 PM
Big_Philly

Yeah I really expected the decay to be shorter and the sound to be dryer, so I was surprised. Surprised in a good way, fortunately, these heads seem to have the open sound of emperors with a little more attitude (a.k.a. attack), and only just slightly darker decay.

I'm thinking about grabbing one of my toms, putting an emperor back on batter and tryin the PS3 as a resonant head. If I do I'll let you know how that sounds as well ;)
Old 01-26-2008, 04:45 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Philly View Post
Yeah I really expected the decay to be shorter and the sound to be dryer, so I was surprised. Surprised in a good way, fortunately, these heads seem to have the open sound of emperors with a little more attitude (a.k.a. attack), and only just slightly darker decay.

I'm thinking about grabbing one of my toms, putting an emperor back on batter and tryin the PS3 as a resonant head. If I do I'll let you know how that sounds as well ;)
So what reso are you using now with the PS3 batters?

Old 01-27-2008, 04:28 AM

i need help. i'm going to gc monday and i was wondering what resonant head i should get. i'm currently gonna buy a clear ps3 with a falam patch(i messed my stock head resonant with cutting the port hole b4 knowing the can trick =[
Old 01-27-2008, 06:28 AM
Mystic

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboomwhack View Post
i need help. i'm going to gc monday and i was wondering what resonant head i should get. i'm currently gonna buy a clear ps3 with a falam patch(i messed my stock head resonant with cutting the port hole b4 knowing the can trick =[
why would u get a reso head and put a falam patch on it?
Old 01-27-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
why would u get a reso head and put a falam patch on it?
my bad i meant the clear ps3 with the falam patch was the batter head and i need a good resonant head.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:41 PM
Big_Philly

Quote:
So what reso are you using now with the PS3 batters?
I am using the stock tama batter heads as reso's, the "powercraft" heads that come with the superstar. They are of somewhat poor quality, but better than the stock reso heads which are really easy to deform.

Last edited by Big_Philly; 01-28-2008 at 12:32 AM.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:40 PM
Mystic

I just ordered my Powerstroke 3's last night and I went with a clear PS 3 snare head, just for experience, but now I can tell you how they turn out as well.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:26 PM
Big_Philly

I look forward to hear your thoughts on them
Old 01-29-2008, 05:22 AM
Mystic

well i ordered from midwestpercussion so, from what iv'e heard is they are good, but they are slow on shipping sometimes, so it may be a while b4 I get em, but as soon as I do I will let you all know and especially the clear snare :D im psyched.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:09 AM
Big_Philly

I have tried out the powerstroke 3's as resonant heads on my superstars, with emperors as batter heads, and I do not recommend it. Whether it's a plain bad head choice or something to do with the dynamics between the drum and the heads I don't know, but having them as resonant heads with emperor batters just doesn't give me the warm open sound that I want. My conclusion is that, at least for my specific type of drum but arguably for most (if not all) drum kits, resonant heads need to be able to move freely, undistorted, if you want the most natural sound out of your drum.

I do still like the way they sound as batter heads with stock batter heads on the reso side (the stock batter heads that came with the kit are comparable to Remo Ambassadors in thickness and construction). The heads seem to be broken in pretty well by now. But the sound also changes over time as the heads wear so I'll probably be posting on them again and write a full review in a few months
Old 02-02-2008, 09:57 PM
Mystic

Well I must say, I am very impressed with midwest, 5 day shipping and I got everything, so let me tell you about the PS3's, I think they sound great, because they don't cut all of the tones out, like my pinstripes did, and I really didn't like that, but they aren't so open that you get all of those annoying high tones, and they get great projection, overall they are great heads, but i am tempted to try emperors next head upgrade, but I would definitely buy these again, and the clear snare head sounds good, and the PS3 sounds good on the snare because it doesn't totally kill the snare sound, but it just reduces that high pitch sound, and still gives a good crack, well hope this helped, buy some PS3's today :D
Old 02-02-2008, 11:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I have tried out the powerstroke 3's as resonant heads ... with emperors as batter heads, and I do not recommend it.
Indeed, you've got basically an Ambassador head with a built in ritchie ring (that's all the Powerstroke 3 is, and I love to use that head as a batter) combined with a 2 ply head (Emperor). I've run (clear) Powerstroke 3 batter and (ebony) reso. on a 20x14 kick and gotten pretty good results. A nice tight, puncky sound. Usually I'll run (clear) Powerstroke 3s batter and (ebony) Ambassadors reso. At least that's where I start, and it's a good working combination on the 20x14, 22x14, 22x16, 22x17, 24x14, 26x14 and 28x14 kicks that I've owned. And I run all my kicks wide open. No laundry, towels, pads, backpacks, etc. inside. I've also run the Powerstroke 3 batter on toms with good results. I'm not a big fan of 2 ply heads in general, the Emperor I use very little, and the Pinstripe not at all (except on Vistalite and Roto-Toms, that need the extra "taming").
Old 02-06-2008, 08:53 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
I have tried out the powerstroke 3's as resonant heads on my superstars, with emperors as batter heads, and I do not recommend it. Whether it's a plain bad head choice or something to do with the dynamics between the drum and the heads I don't know, but having them as resonant heads with emperor batters just doesn't give me the warm open sound that I want. My conclusion is that, at least for my specific type of drum but arguably for most (if not all) drum kits, resonant heads need to be able to move freely, undistorted, if you want the most natural sound out of your drum.

I do still like the way they sound as batter heads with stock batter heads on the reso side (the stock batter heads that came with the kit are comparable to Remo Ambassadors in thickness and construction). The heads seem to be broken in pretty well by now. But the sound also changes over time as the heads wear so I'll probably be posting on them again and write a full review in a few months

My preference is to run the PS3s as batter heads and an Ambassador on the reso side.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Old 02-11-2008, 03:57 PM
Big_Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitch View Post
My preference is to run the PS3s as batter heads and an Ambassador on the reso side.

Mike
That's pretty much how I have it now. The stock tama batter heads are very much like ambassadors in thickness. I'm thinking about going for coated reso's one day though.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:21 PM
Mystic

I should also add that the PS 3 sounds more open than a single ply drum head with a ring on it.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:20 PM
Big_Philly

So far I'm pretty happy with the PS3's. The ony downside is that they don't seem to be very durable; they dent quite easily even though I am not the heaviest hitter. I have some problems with my 14x11" tom, it goes out of tune really easily (and getting it back in tune is hell). That is also the tom with the worst head damage. I can not tune it to lower tuning ranges. Something tells me I need to replace both the batter and resonant head for that one (I've been thinking about coated ambassadors for reso's for a while now, I guess I might as well give it a go). They give a decently deep tone and are slightly more focused than Emperors. The sustain is about the same, surprisingly.

However, the next head I will try is the Evans EC1 coated. It is similar to the PS3 but slightly thicker, it will probably be a little more focused and it will definitely sound deeper. I like my toms sounding deep :)