DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #201  
Old 11-02-2007, 11:57 AM
Rich's Avatar
Rich Rich is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Monza
Posts: 44
Default Re: Lars Ulrich

I'm not gonna judge too much - I'm too much of a novice... but I have to say that whatever Metallica drank when they wrote St Anger.. I want some

And what is he hitting instead of a snare??

Rich
Reply With Quote
  #202  
Old 11-02-2007, 10:14 PM
Honketonk's Avatar
Honketonk Honketonk is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 23
Default Re: Lars Ulrich

The Snare discussion is getting waaaaaaaaaaay too old now ... ;-)
Reply With Quote
  #203  
Old 11-03-2007, 12:43 AM
metal overlord's Avatar
metal overlord metal overlord is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,001
Default Re: Lars Ulrich

Lars was my inspiration to drum, to have a Tama kit, a to have a double bass. If it wasn't for him, I'de still be playing AC/DC on my cheap 5 piece Royce
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #204  
Old 11-03-2007, 12:44 AM
metal overlord's Avatar
metal overlord metal overlord is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,001
Default Re: Lars Ulrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I'm not gonna judge too much - I'm too much of a novice... but I have to say that whatever Metallica drank when they wrote St Anger.. I want some

And what is he hitting instead of a snare??

Rich

Its a snare dru, its turned off. (the switch on the side)
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #205  
Old 03-28-2008, 09:24 PM
Matt-a-tat-tat Matt-a-tat-tat is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 123
Default Re: Lars Ulrich

i have a buddy who was the tour manager for the go-gos. they were in the studio and apparently metallica was too. they got to talking to the engineer. he said that lars' parts (this was back in the 90s) were all spliced up . . . they had to really splice up the tape to make the parts good. and not just spliced a little bit. A LOT!
i'm not in the habit of bashing drummers but . . . i really can't stand his playing and he seems to be an angry little man. i saw that dvd for st. anger and he was sloppy and he looked like he was having a real hard time with the songs. when i was a kid everybody went nuts for that double bass part in the song 'one.' i've heard lars try it live -- he couldn't get it. ah, the magic of the studio.
he's a drummer. and he's been successful at it. but it blows my mind when i hear people say he's one of the greats when there are guys like Peter Wildoer (Darkane) around.
Reply With Quote
  #206  
Old 03-28-2008, 09:56 PM
B.C. B.C. is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 62
Default Re: Lars Ulrich

Alright. Lars. Hate him. he reminds me of the drummer who dosen't care about rudiments TECHNIQUE, or staying in the pocket. Lars is horrible. I watched alot of Metallica live and he struggles to hold some sort of tempo. Lars is just one of those drummers that just bangs on drums and dosen't play on them. Lars plays the same old beat, the same old fill and he's about as amusing as watching paint dry. Lars rides on the coat tails of metallica and James Hetfield. in the end lars is one of those drummers undeserving of his title of being a good drummer. Just because he's in a successfull band dosen't make him good.
Reply With Quote
  #207  
Old 03-28-2008, 10:51 PM
Ironcobra's Avatar
Ironcobra Ironcobra is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,209
Default Re: Lars Ulrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.C. View Post
Alright. Lars. Hate him. he reminds me of the drummer who dosen't care about rudiments TECHNIQUE, or staying in the pocket. Lars is horrible. I watched alot of Metallica live and he struggles to hold some sort of tempo. Lars is just one of those drummers that just bangs on drums and dosen't play on them. Lars plays the same old beat, the same old fill and he's about as amusing as watching paint dry. Lars rides on the coat tails of metallica and James Hetfield. in the end lars is one of those drummers undeserving of his title of being a good drummer. Just because he's in a successfull band dosen't make him good.
Lars is a drummer that has one hell of a good time on stage, thats what drumming is about. Sure he won't win a rudiment award, but that, in no way at all, makes him a bad drummer.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #208  
Old 03-29-2008, 12:16 AM
Vic_Rattledeth Vic_Rattledeth is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 160
Default Re: Lars Ulrich

Lars inspired me to start drumming. I give him that. But after a mere year and a half of playing I started to realize he wasn't very good. I would say he reached his best at And justice For all, he actually had a few interestin drum parts, and even a polyrhythm. Nowadays though he's....just a shadow of what he once was, and what he was still wasnt anything amazing.
Reply With Quote
  #209  
Old 03-29-2008, 01:14 AM
metal overlord's Avatar
metal overlord metal overlord is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,001
Default Re: Lars Ulrich

So what makes the drummer now is how good you are? I always thought it was "if you suck at drumming, but your having a good time, your good". At least it was in my mind.

So what if Lars isn't the best? He still does what he's supposed to. He keeps time, he keeps the music going. Sure theres people who are better, but he has a hella lot of stage presence. Metallica isn't Metallica without Lars.

And, another thing. To anybody who bashed him.

Do you know how childish it is to bash a fellow drummer? You don't just walk up to a guy who is having a hard time doing simple stuff and say "you suck" you say "keep trying, you'll get it". It's like jazz drummers bashing metal drummers, it's stupid. We're all drummers, we all have differant styles and techniques. It doesn't matter what kind of kit you play, or how fast you can go on your bass drums. It's about having a good time. Having fun. That's what music was supposed to be about.

I'de put more to back up my statement, but I can't exactly think straight right now.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #210  
Old 03-29-2008, 01:20 AM
metal overlord's Avatar
metal overlord metal overlord is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,001
Default Re: Lars Ulrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.C. View Post
Alright. Lars. Hate him. he reminds me of the drummer who dosen't care about rudiments TECHNIQUE, or staying in the pocket. Lars is horrible. I watched alot of Metallica live and he struggles to hold some sort of tempo. Lars is just one of those drummers that just bangs on drums and dosen't play on them. Lars plays the same old beat, the same old fill and he's about as amusing as watching paint dry. Lars rides on the coat tails of metallica and James Hetfield. in the end lars is one of those drummers undeserving of his title of being a good drummer. Just because he's in a successfull band dosen't make him good.
And what? You think your better? Are you in a band that's been around since the 80's and still is very popular?
Do you sell out on every show, every night? Do you still get people going when they listen to your music?
Are you endorsed? Do you have a signature snare drum & kit? Do thousands of drummers look up to you?
__________________

Last edited by metal overlord; 03-29-2008 at 01:34 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #211  
Old 03-29-2008, 01:41 AM
bacca bacca is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: lincs-uk
Posts: 14
Default Re: Lars Ulrich

For me personally i loved the drumming on "and justice for all" this
album and the production/playing of eveyone on that album really inspired me at that time in my life-i still play that album to this day....
Reply With Quote
  #212  
Old 03-29-2008, 01:51 AM
PQleyR's Avatar
PQleyR PQleyR is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Godalming, UK
Posts: 2,283
Default Re: Lars Ulrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-a-tat-tat View Post
i have a buddy who was the tour manager for the go-gos. they were in the studio and apparently metallica was too. they got to talking to the engineer. he said that lars' parts (this was back in the 90s) were all spliced up . . . they had to really splice up the tape to make the parts good. and not just spliced a little bit. A LOT!
Bob Rock says on the Classic Albums DVD of the black album that they did ALL the fills seperately from the rest of the drum parts. He also says they had to change the heads after every 5 takes or so, because Lars destroyed them after that long. Then he compares him to John Bonham or Keith Moon. Strange man.
Reply With Quote
  #213  
Old 03-29-2008, 04:21 AM
Tamascb10's Avatar
Tamascb10 Tamascb10 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 96
Default Re: Lars Ulrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal overlord View Post
And what? You think your better? Are you in a band that's been around since the 80's and still is very popular?
Do you sell out on every show, every night? Do you still get people going when they listen to your music?
Are you endorsed? Do you have a signature snare drum & kit? Do thousands of drummers look up to you?


oh! ohohohoh!! can you say OWNED??? Nice one Mike!
__________________

Death Metal will live forever
Reply With Quote
  #214  
Old 03-30-2008, 10:43 PM
Vic_Rattledeth Vic_Rattledeth is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 160
Default Re: Lars Ulrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal overlord View Post
So what makes the drummer now is how good you are? I always thought it was "if you suck at drumming, but your having a good time, your good". At least it was in my mind.

So what if Lars isn't the best? He still does what he's supposed to. He keeps time, he keeps the music going. Sure theres people who are better, but he has a hella lot of stage presence. Metallica isn't Metallica without Lars.

And, another thing. To anybody who bashed him.

Do you know how childish it is to bash a fellow drummer? You don't just walk up to a guy who is having a hard time doing simple stuff and say "you suck" you say "keep trying, you'll get it". It's like jazz drummers bashing metal drummers, it's stupid. We're all drummers, we all have differant styles and techniques. It doesn't matter what kind of kit you play, or how fast you can go on your bass drums. It's about having a good time. Having fun. That's what music was supposed to be about.

I'de put more to back up my statement, but I can't exactly think straight right now.
Lars keeps the music going, okay, that's fine. I'm glad he has fun too. But when we talk about his actual level of talent and musicality it doesnt go very far. He's just not very good, it's very simple. He can't keep up with most metal drummers today, and that's his forte. He can't play any other style of music either. He's just very one dimensional. That's why i'm not a big fan of him
Reply With Quote
  #215  
Old 04-17-2008, 01:57 AM
Citizen Insane's Avatar
Citizen Insane Citizen Insane is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sarasota FL
Posts: 250
Default Re: Lars Ulrich

I remember when I was 9/10 years old, I was OBSESSED with Metallica, I thought that Lars was the absolute best drummer in the world. Everything he played was complex and near-impossible. I thought that And Justice for All was the pinnacle of technicality in music, but than I turned 12......
__________________
"Hey! Its you......I don't like you!"
Reply With Quote
  #216  
Old 04-17-2008, 03:12 AM
Tom Sawyer's Avatar
Tom Sawyer Tom Sawyer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Portugal
Posts: 375
Default Re: Lars Ulrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Insane View Post
I remember when I was 9/10 years old, I was OBSESSED with Metallica, I thought that Lars was the absolute best drummer in the world. Everything he played was complex and near-impossible. I thought that And Justice for All was the pinnacle of technicality in music, but than I turned 12......
...and you discovered Porcupine Tree, or what.
__________________
...have you guessed me yet?
I am the slime
oozin' out
from your
tv set

Reply With Quote
  #217  
Old 04-17-2008, 03:19 AM
Citizen Insane's Avatar
Citizen Insane Citizen Insane is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Sarasota FL
Posts: 250
Default Re: Lars Ulrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
...and you discovered Porcupine Tree, or what.
No, that happened when I was 13 =). I started playing drums when I turned 12 and I realized that most of the drumming Lars does is very one-dimensional,and boring. He still is one of the reasons I started playing drums, but I think I outgrew him. He doesn't impress me anymore.
__________________
"Hey! Its you......I don't like you!"
Reply With Quote
  #218  
Old 04-17-2008, 04:39 AM
franklinj's Avatar
franklinj franklinj is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Tampa
Posts: 1,189
Default Re: Lars Ulrich

I think its funny how people always mock Lars because hes not technically the best drummers out there. However, he played on some of the best, if not the best metal ever made. Thats what really counts. His drumming is not supposed to be complex- its supposed to follow James riffs and give the song that extra drive. He plays with the music and fits Metallica perfectly.
__________________
Any Tool tabs or sheet music? Please send me a PM.
Reply With Quote
  #219  
Old 04-17-2008, 04:52 AM
Tom Sawyer's Avatar
Tom Sawyer Tom Sawyer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Portugal
Posts: 375
Default Re: Lars Ulrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinj View Post
I think its funny how people always mock Lars because hes not technically the best drummers out there. However, he played on some of the best, if not the best metal ever made. Thats what really counts. His drumming is not supposed to be complex- its supposed to follow James riffs and give the song that extra drive. He plays with the music and fits Metallica perfectly.
'nuff said.................
__________________
...have you guessed me yet?
I am the slime
oozin' out
from your
tv set

Reply With Quote
  #220  
Old 04-17-2008, 05:08 AM
Ironcobra's Avatar
Ironcobra Ironcobra is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,209
Default Re: Lars Ulrich

I would rather have fun on stage like Lars, than to be a boring basement drummer who is better at technical playing. It's also hard to judge his skill because there isn't much content of him soloing, I've only seen 2 or 3 clips. If I were to base his skill purely on how well it goes with the music, I would think hes an amazing drummer, sure argue the point, but having inspired thousands of people to start playing drums, that obviously says something about him and Metallica. Theres no point in arguing back and fourth, he isn't one of the most technical drummers, but he sure is one of the greatest.

***and don't bring up that same old solo from 1992 on the white Tama, he was obviously drunk, nobody can go an entire solo only playing single strokes.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #221  
Old 05-05-2008, 02:31 AM
metal overlord's Avatar
metal overlord metal overlord is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,001
Default Re: Lars Ulrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinj View Post
I think its funny how people always mock Lars because hes not technically the best drummers out there. However, he played on some of the best, if not the best metal ever made. Thats what really counts. His drumming is not supposed to be complex- its supposed to follow James riffs and give the song that extra drive. He plays with the music and fits Metallica perfectly.
My point exactly...although it never came out right.

I 100% totally agree with you. That's exactly what makes Lars good.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #222  
Old 05-26-2008, 11:33 PM
Vic_Rattledeth Vic_Rattledeth is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Houston Texas
Posts: 160
Default Re: Lars Ulrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcobra View Post
I would rather have fun on stage like Lars, than to be a boring basement drummer who is better at technical playing. It's also hard to judge his skill because there isn't much content of him soloing, I've only seen 2 or 3 clips. If I were to base his skill purely on how well it goes with the music, I would think hes an amazing drummer, sure argue the point, but having inspired thousands of people to start playing drums, that obviously says something about him and Metallica. Theres no point in arguing back and fourth, he isn't one of the most technical drummers, but he sure is one of the greatest.

***and don't bring up that same old solo from 1992 on the white Tama, he was obviously drunk, nobody can go an entire solo only playing single strokes.
Since when is being a technical drummer boring? You can groove like a mofo and be technical at the same time. Look at Steve Gadd. I would argue that it's BORING to play Larses stuff and not very fun at all. A three year old could bash on some cans and have fun, but that doesn't make the three year old a superb drummer. Lars having fun while he plays his one dimensional drums doesn't make him a great drummer either. And i've seen multiple drum solos of lars, he plays practically the same solo everytime. Triplet snare kick pedal snare tom patterns with random 16th note single thrown in, then he'll go into the "one double bass pattern. Not impressive at all
Reply With Quote
  #223  
Old 05-31-2008, 02:14 AM
Zoofie Zoofie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 212
Default Re: Lars Ulrich

Hey guys , i know you can't mimic this guys sound exactly. But how would you tune toms to sound like his? Is it batter head very low or what?
Thanks alot.
Reply With Quote
  #224  
Old 07-10-2008, 02:22 AM
kwolf68's Avatar
kwolf68 kwolf68 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Warrenton, Virginia
Posts: 263
Default Re: Lars Ulrich

I am unique in that...

I LOVE Lars Ulrich and I LOVE Metallica

while at the same time

I HATE Lars Ulrich and I HATE Metallica

Since the 'black album' that band has been a total joke. They have not improved as writers or musicians and seemingly run out of ideas a long time ago.

For people who say Lars was not a good drummer, I do scoff at that. Go listen to his playing on "Ride the Lightening" (and the subsequent tour where I happened to catch a gig) and then go listen to his playing on "...And Justice For All" (and that subsequent tour where I happened to catch multiple gigs).

In short, kid improved by leaps and bounds. That's what a "good drummer' does, he gets better, he maximizes his talent. Lars propelled such complicated songs like Blackened, The Shortest Straw with technical proficiency.

He may not 'be better' than (fill in drum god of your choice), but to say he was not a good drummer is just absurd. Lars WAS a good drummer and WAS becomming a VERY GOOD or dare I say great drummer, not just because of what he could do behind the kit, but because of his ability to create unique drumming within the later Metallica albums (before the Load stuff).

That ALL SAID, Lars is now a bum to me. His playing has not gotten any better and in fact has gotten worse. They have used studio tricks and weird production techniques to deliver what I consider bad heavy metal. Metallica were either doing cover albums, alternative albums, or just bad albums since the Load days. It has affected them as musicians and esepically Lars who now sounds WORSE as a dummer than he did on Metallica's infamous "No Life Til Leather" Demo. It's a sad SAD commentary for someone like me (and others) who championed Metallica back in the day and celebrated in glee when they got the spot on Ozzy's tour in 1986 thinking "our way of life has made it to the arenas".

I weep for lost glory, Lars and metallica...trend setters, pioneers, metal gods, brilliant band they were are now a pathetic joke.
Reply With Quote
  #225  
Old 07-10-2008, 02:38 AM
Ironcobra's Avatar
Ironcobra Ironcobra is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,209
Default Re: Lars Ulrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklinj View Post
I think its funny how people always mock Lars because hes not technically the best drummers out there. However, he played on some of the best, if not the best metal ever made. Thats what really counts. His drumming is not supposed to be complex- its supposed to follow James riffs and give the song that extra drive. He plays with the music and fits Metallica perfectly.
You said it, this sums up everything. No one can argue with this as it's the perfect solution to any 'Lars' debate.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #226  
Old 07-10-2008, 07:03 AM
m1ck's Avatar
m1ck m1ck is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 378
Default Re: Lars Ulrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwolf68 View Post
I am unique in that...

I LOVE Lars Ulrich and I LOVE Metallica

while at the same time

I HATE Lars Ulrich and I HATE Metallica

Since the 'black album' that band has been a total joke. ...
Whoah, that's some brutal honesty. I can relate. I am a fan of EARLY Metallica, by which I mean the first three albums. And Lars drove that stuff like a locomotive. It doesn't seem so hard by today's standards, but they rocked the world back in the 80's. I still like it.

I guess I like Lars because I like the band Metallica was. My bass player is a total Metallica fan/worshipper to the very bone, and we (ahem) converse about this from time to time. They do deserve respect for their longevity, but... I dunno. They went in a direction that I couldn't relate to. A lot of their latter stuff, to be honest, I haven't even listened to. I saw them on their Master of Puppets tour, opening for Ozzy Osbourne. They raised hell like a metal band should. That's the band I know and love as Metallica. (Before James started taking himself seriously as a singer...)

As to Lars' technical ability: He's better than me, so I can't throw stones. Like someone said above, he's a drummer, so he's a brother. He's one of us. Why grind him down? Has he ever stood up and said he's the greatest in the world? Or was he just the right fit for a band that went global? A powerhouse of a rock drummer for a pioneering metal band? If I ever achieve a tenth of what he has as a professional, I'll be on top of the world.

I've been bored to death by some excellent technique, in my time. Music, especially metal, is far more than navel-gazing showmanship. If it don't yank you to the front by the balls, it ain't working, regardless of the skill involved. At an early Metallica concert, not even the DEAD could stand still. And I think Lars had something to do with that.

Enough snobbery. Kill 'em all!
Reply With Quote
  #227  
Old 07-11-2008, 12:00 AM
kwolf68's Avatar
kwolf68 kwolf68 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Warrenton, Virginia
Posts: 263
Default Re: Lars Ulrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ck View Post
Whoah, that's some brutal honesty. I can relate. I am a fan of EARLY Metallica, by which I mean the first three albums. And Lars drove that stuff like a locomotive. It doesn't seem so hard by today's standards, but they rocked the world back in the 80's. I still like it.

I guess I like Lars because I like the band Metallica was. My bass player is a total Metallica fan/worshipper to the very bone, and we (ahem) converse about this from time to time. They do deserve respect for their longevity, but... I dunno. They went in a direction that I couldn't relate to. A lot of their latter stuff, to be honest, I haven't even listened to. I saw them on their Master of Puppets tour, opening for Ozzy Osbourne. They raised hell like a metal band should. That's the band I know and love as Metallica. (Before James started taking himself seriously as a singer...)

As to Lars' technical ability: He's better than me, so I can't throw stones. Like someone said above, he's a drummer, so he's a brother. He's one of us. Why grind him down? Has he ever stood up and said he's the greatest in the world? Or was he just the right fit for a band that went global? A powerhouse of a rock drummer for a pioneering metal band? If I ever achieve a tenth of what he has as a professional, I'll be on top of the world.

I've been bored to death by some excellent technique, in my time. Music, especially metal, is far more than navel-gazing showmanship. If it don't yank you to the front by the balls, it ain't working, regardless of the skill involved. At an early Metallica concert, not even the DEAD could stand still. And I think Lars had something to do with that.

Enough snobbery. Kill 'em all!

Good response dude and I agree with so much of it. Like I said, I still believe Lars was a fine drummer, because you could see him improve.

Lars did grow as a player. And people in here CAN NOT deny that, no matter how much they don't like Lars. That's all we should be about as drummers...are you getting better?

I didn't listen to ...And Justice For All and think, 'we damn, Lars still isn't as good as Neal Peart', I listened and said, "Damn, that boy is coming up with some cool drumming, he's really getting better."

As far as you not listening to their later stuff, don't bother with it, it sucks. Now I say that admitting I think that from 1982-1991 Metallica was the greastest heavy metal band that ever graced this planet. They wrote technical metal songs (in fact it can be argued that ...And Justice For All is more a progressive metal CD than a pure metal CD), they were heavy, they could play fast, they were good musicians, the song structures were amazing, the lyrics were great, and they could get it done consistently on stage.

Metallica in short had no weakness...toss in the 'populist' approach of the band, the no video attitude, the 'metal for life' ethic and you had the formula for greatness. Walking away from that band killed me, I hated it, because they were my rallying cry all through high school. While the kid next to me at the stop light was playing Round and Round by Ratt I was pumping Whiplash by Metallica.

Hell, raging Lars bothers me to, because he is the reason I grab a couple 5B Regaltips and started banging away.

They are legends and all fans of the band that grew up with them will forever love their contribution to the world of music and to our lives, that's what makes their descent into mediocrity so disturbing.
Reply With Quote
  #228  
Old 07-11-2008, 03:17 AM
DamoSyzygy's Avatar
DamoSyzygy DamoSyzygy is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 1,034
Default Re: Lars Ulrich

Quote:
instriretion
Uhh.....What?............
Reply With Quote
  #229  
Old 07-26-2008, 04:35 PM
Adrian_Ganter Adrian_Ganter is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Dongara, Western Australia
Posts: 5
Default Re: Lars Ulrich

IMO,
Lars being in Metallica has helped change the type of music being played today! My mum once told me she would listen to Metallica while she was pregnant with me. And the day i heard Master Of Puppets i fell in love with his drumming! He has made Metallica sound really good and is a big inspiration to me and i'm really looking forward to the new album Metallica is releasing in September (Death Magnetic)! =)
__________________
My YouTube Channel. http://www.youtube.com/AdrianLovesBec
Reply With Quote
  #230  
Old 08-07-2008, 03:51 AM
TheIronCobr4's Avatar
TheIronCobr4 TheIronCobr4 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Over the Hills and Far Away
Posts: 215
Default Re: Lars Ulrich

I've been a Metallica fan ever since my friend turned me on to them, but I could never agree with him on the fact of Lars being a great drummer. I wouldn't ever consider Lars great, even on Justic because if you see videos of him live he still struggles to reproduce those songs. I don't understand why he makes songs that he can't play live when in my opinion, playing live is where it really counts.

There is no denying Lars' influence and ethusiasm on stage and for Metallica in general. His drumming just so happens to fit the music he plays and somehow he gets by. There is no reson to put him on a pedastal, especially now when he has totally slipped to an all time low.
__________________
Christian. Drummer.
Reply With Quote
  #231  
Old 08-07-2008, 04:05 AM
hateplow's Avatar
hateplow hateplow is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 994
Default Re: Lars Ulrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronCobr4 View Post
I've been a Metallica fan ever since my friend turned me on to them, but I could never agree with him on the fact of Lars being a great drummer. I wouldn't ever consider Lars great, even on Justic because if you see videos of him live he still struggles to reproduce those songs. I don't understand why he makes songs that he can't play live when in my opinion, playing live is where it really counts.

There is no denying Lars' influence and ethusiasm on stage and for Metallica in general. His drumming just so happens to fit the music he plays and somehow he gets by. There is no reson to put him on a pedastal, especially now when he has totally slipped to an all time low.
These are my feelings exactly. You can't deny his impact on drumming and metal (and Justice is in my top 5 of all time), but he really struggles live. He is the epitome of overplaying.
__________________

Noble & Cooley Horizon Reissue, Craviotto Solid Maple 4-Piece
Reply With Quote
  #232  
Old 08-15-2008, 12:31 AM
matt1 matt1 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1
Default Re: Lars Ulrich

Hey DRUMMERWORLD I am new here! Iíve read a lot of the comments about Lars here and checked out the other threads on the drummers I like and have read mixed reports for all, which is normal as everyone has there own taste, style and opinion.

Lars will always be my favorite drummer because of how he "plays to the music".

The way that Metallica songs are arranged has something to do with how Lars plays drums and how he comes up with an original drum track.

The thing about Lars is he's not technical compared to e.g. Travis Smith of Trivium and Joey Jordison of Slipknot (both good drummers), but he is technical in a song if he thinks he should be, but most importantly if he wants to be. What Iíve learnt about him from seeing Metallica live 4 times and listening to live cd's and watching dvdís, videos whatever, is he never plays a song the same way twice. He changes fills or maybe doesn't play the fill and continues with a beat and its all to do with keeping things fresh, interesting, unpredictable, for stimulation and actually as Lars would say to keep things "Rock and Roll" which is as cheesy as a mature cheddar would get thatís bin kept in the fridge for 28years, but true. You probably know that a big part of his style is to accent with symbol crashes. As for double bass Iíve read people complaining about his usage of them and Iíve always bin very impressed when he does it. He definitely uses it in different ways to everyone else.

You donít get to be in the biggest Metal band ever if your not good enough to be. Most would know that Lars has a larger roll to play than just playing drums for Metallica, but when he gets down to sitting behind the kit he always delivers. It hasnít just been the guitar riffs, guitar solos, bass lines and lyrics that have made Metallica what they are; Lars's original drumming style has been a huge ingredient to the mix that has had the outcome of more than 100 million albums sold.

Metallica are the biggest selling heavy metal band ever because they have been the most accessible out of all of them. With great riffs, song arrangements, lyrics, different styles and drum parts they have always been original. There are better technical drummers than Lars Ulrich that are playing in bands that are not as successful as Metallica, but I find that they tend to play drums too hard and fast and albums become what I call "Drummers Albums". An example of this I would give is, Slipknot Volume 3 where Joey Jordisons presence within the album completely over shadows everyone elseís input. (Im actually saying that his drumming is best thing on this album).

I believe a drummerís roll should be to serve the song to make the song sound as good as it can and not just making the drums sound great.

Lars as a drummer delivers in the way that makes Metallica as a band sound the best they can which is what should be done. Even if a drummer sacrifices some of his fancy moves and tricks to make a great song, itís what should be done if all the other ingredients added by the other musicians instruments are good enough.

Another opinion by another drummer about another drummerÖ
Reply With Quote
  #233  
Old 08-19-2008, 06:18 PM
ddood's Avatar
ddood ddood is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Atlanta, GA area
Posts: 28
Default Re: Lars Ulrich

Here's my $.02. To me, Lars isn't the greatest drummer that ever lived or anything, but he is one of my favorites. I know he's not one of the best technique-wise. He's not the suckiest either. Hell, listen to the beginning of Harvester of Sorrow. Sounds pretty cool to me. I started listening to Metallica right when Master of Puppets came out and was hooked. Lars and Metallica changed metal forever. They were, with other bands soon following, pioneers in bringing their genre of music into the mainstream. I realize that I'm not saying anything that has not already been said. My bottom line is Lars is the single reason I wanted to play drums. I have grown up and listen to tons of other drummers who are lots better technique-wise, but can still queue up some Metallica on the iPod and actually feel the music still. I have seen Metallica live somewhere between 8-12 times and I have to strongly disagree with those that have said he is not a good live drummer. He sounds great to me and looks like he is having a blast onstage. Anyway, all of the above is my opinion, so it is valid for me, and it may not be for you.
Reply With Quote
  #234  
Old 08-19-2008, 07:33 PM
arthurk1's Avatar
arthurk1 arthurk1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Indianapolis/Vegas/Tourbus
Posts: 232
Default Re: Lars Ulrich

I have loved Lars since I saw him play with Wasp and Armored Saint in 1985. He beat the living crap out of his kit and every hit meant something. I remember reading an old modern drummer article where they interviewed his roadie, and he said that at the end of the tour, there were no cymbals left uncracked and that all of the hardware on his kit was starting to rust because he sweat so much from being a madman behind his big kit. That's even after wiping everything off after each show. To me, THAT is great drumming. Sure, I learned to play more from Peart and Rich, but to watch Lars break stick after stick is really what it's all about. Gene Simmons said it best, " It's all about the show"! PERIOD! As for Lars not playing the same parts he played early on, he wised up to the fact that the crowd can't hear anything but a big BZZZZZZZZ if he is playing machine gun parts, so he plays more groove oriented and less fill oriented now. Bands like Slipknot, and Morbid Angel, both of which I love, have the same problem now, but continue to play the lightning fast fills and such. Also, there isn't but a handful of bands today where the producer doesn't splice the drums tracks together and pro tools the life out of it! Lars is awesome in my book and I would love to meet him and ask him some questions.
Reply With Quote
  #235  
Old 08-19-2008, 09:27 PM
RICHY-18's Avatar
RICHY-18 RICHY-18 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Wales (Carmarthenshire)
Posts: 77
Default Re: Lars Ulrich

Lars got me started on the drums. and as you can see got me into tama.
Reply With Quote
  #236  
Old 09-03-2008, 09:46 PM
Jon Cable's Avatar
Jon Cable Jon Cable is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Lincoln,uk
Posts: 557
Default Re: Lars Ulrich

I really like Metallica and really like Lars; he ain't Buddy but can you imagine Metallica without him or him without Metallica?? Perfect match, great sound, great band and, I'm sorry to those of you who aren't keen on him, but great drummer!!
__________________
'I Wanna Be The Man With The 50lb Hammer'
Reply With Quote
  #237  
Old 09-07-2008, 07:05 AM
joshlovestodrum's Avatar
joshlovestodrum joshlovestodrum is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Marquette, MI
Posts: 61
Default Re: Lars Ulrich

I respect Metallica for what they've done for metal but I just saw the newest video for the first single off of "Death Magnetic" and it was, to me, tired and un-comfortable. that song had more time filler in it than any tune i've heard in a long time (probably since St Anger). it just feels like they are purposefully trying to re-create how special "One" was on that track...completely obvious. its uncomfortable to me because, again; to ME, it seems like they just arent aging gracefully...it seems like they are always trying to do something other than just be themselves. its OK that they cant rip like on Kill em' All....or whichever album you choose...To steal a line from Lars himself "It just feels too stock.".

heres to hoping its just a metallica lead off singles curse thing...
__________________
Peace,
JG

Reply With Quote
  #238  
Old 09-07-2008, 03:45 PM
Vipercussionist's Avatar
Vipercussionist Vipercussionist is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Rhode Island (USA)
Posts: 742
Default Re: Lars Ulrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal overlord View Post
If it wasn't for him, I'd still be playing AC/DC on my cheap 5 piece Royce
You say that like it's a BAD thing!!! Phil Rudd is one of the most groove oriented drummers EVER!! What would be the downside to playing so well? There are FUNK drummers without so much "pocket" as Rudd has.
__________________
Things to share
Thanks are implied
You are welcome
Listen To BONHAM here!!
ViperFace
Reply With Quote
  #239  
Old 09-07-2008, 04:04 PM
drummingman's Avatar
drummingman drummingman is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 822
Default Re: Lars Ulrich

lars was a huge influence on me to play the drums. i must admit that the last album that a really liked by metallice was the black album. and i do think that as a drummer lars really has not grown a lot since the black album. but i still count him as one of my main early influences.
and just to say, i just saw the vid for the day that never comes and i liked the song. i look forward to hearing the whole album.
Reply With Quote
  #240  
Old 09-07-2008, 08:16 PM
7DaysToTheWolves's Avatar
7DaysToTheWolves 7DaysToTheWolves is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Dallas
Posts: 126
Default Re: Lars Ulrich

I'm not so much a big fan of lars anymore, although he's one of my major influences.
When I figured out that i could play Metallica songs, I lost him in the storm I was creating within.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com