DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 02-29-2008, 12:20 AM

Default Bass Drum Head Combination-Advice Needed

I have searched this forum and found out some interesting things, but not precisely what I am looking for. As we all know bass drum heads are expensive, so I would like to get this right the first time. I have done a lot of research so far, and thought I had a game plan for a purchase, but now I am not so sure.

Here is what I am looking for. I am looking for a bass drum head combination that will work for blues, country, acoustic/folk style music. **Not** a rock kick drum sound, and not a pure jazz kick drum sound, something in between. I know that a lot of country and blues have a rock vein in them in todays music, but again, that is not what I am looking for, as I already have a kick drum head combination for the rock style.

I am open to all manufacturers, I am just looking for a kick drum sound that is flexible enough to cover the aforementioned styles.

The drum in question is a Tama 22"X16" Swingstar from 04/05.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your time.

Peace!
Todd
Old 02-29-2008, 04:21 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Bass Drum Head Combination-Advice Needed

I've got an EMAD2/EC1 Coated Reso. It's a very nice nonplastic (unlike the EMAD I tried before) round sound. I've tuned it high to get more sustain and a higher pitch for jazz. If you use the big ring on it and tune it lower you can get more of a "boomp" sound. Right now I've got it somewhere in the middle for a nice med-short sustain. Works great from everything from bop to big band, to funk, to rock. This is the best sounding I've ever heard my 22x18 Mapex Pro M bass. (before I had Fiberskyn Powerstrokes--too dead, and before that EMAD--to plastic sounding and too open). This is the most versatile sound I've ever heard too. Great stuff truly the EMAD2 has a nice round tone (2ply) without sounding plastic. Also, it's sensitive. Which is great. You can still play a soft Bossa Nova type thing or really kick it for a big sound. (All the way open and tuned high it can rival my 26) The EC1 Coated Reso is a neat head (make sure you get the reso version though)
Old 02-29-2008, 07:55 AM
Pioneer Member

Coated Remo Supersonic - Batter
Smooth White- Resonant
Old 02-29-2008, 02:01 PM
fourstringdrums

I personally like an Evans EQ4/EQ3 Resonant setup. It's pretty versatile for all styles, tuning subjective though.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:30 PM

Cymbalrider,
Thanks for the input/review of the difference between the EMAD 1 and EMAD 2. That is exactly where I started to rethink my position. Originally I was thinking the EMAD 2 and the EMAD reso. Then I thought about it, and I started to consider the EMAD 1 with the EMAD reso. I had not really thought about using the EC for a reso. That is extremely interesting to me.
One quick question if you don't mind, so you have any baffling in the drum? I am just curious, as I am trying to get a way from baffling in the kick if I can get away with it, or at least as minimal as possible. I do want the sound to be open, I just want to have control over how "open" it is....if that makes any sense!

Rendezvous...what does that head combination sound like? Any baffling?

Four String...could you elaborate a bit on the statement "tuning subjective"?

Thanks folks...I really appreciate the help, as I really have no idea how to get the sound I hear in my head, and I don't have $500 to find it! (GRIN)

Peace,
Todd
Old 02-29-2008, 11:30 PM
Pioneer Member

Evans makes EQ series Reso heads. Just look under Bass>Resonant heads on their page. The EQ1 is a 7mil (thin) weight head with a internal ring and little dry vents (tiny holes...you can only see them if you look from about a foot away). It keeps the drum still sounding like a drum. From what I've heard about EMAD reso..they are pretty controlled sounding being that 1) they have a hole 2)the little muffling foam thing does a lot
I don't use any internal muffling at all with the EMAD2/EC1 set-up.
On my 26" kick though, I have a EQ1 Batter and it works quite well also. It has a removable ring that goes inside the little Powerstroke style ring on the inside. It too has the little vents. Even on a 26", this head is enough to control the sound. No internal muffling at all. The reso is still a stock Gretsch head.
The EQ1s should not be overlooked with all this EMAD action going on these days.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:56 PM
Platinum Member

Coated Remo PS3s on both sides. The combination gives a warm, round anf focused resonance coupled with a nice, legato attack.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:28 AM

Cymbalrider, thanks for the insight into the Evans products. Soundwise to my ears, I like a reso with no hole. With a hole it just takes away from "roundness" of the kick, it takes away the power. As far as the EQ series, I did see the little holes you are talking about...with the volume of air you are moving with your kick...hmmm that is very interesting.

Wavelength...I can now see/understand "legato" in reference to a kick sound. Wow! What a cool thought...thanks for the lesson!

I am learning, and I ain't spent a dime yet...

Thanks folks, I really appreciate it.

Sincerely,
Todd
Old 03-04-2008, 07:27 PM
Pioneer Member

I'm using my set to play in the orchestra for the musical "The Music Man". This kick works just fine in a big auditorium. I was interested to try it and well, it works fine. It works great for everything soft to "76 Trombones" style big and loud.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:14 PM

Hey Cymbalrider, just thought I would let you know that I ordered that head combination Monday through my local shop, and I should have them in by this weekend. Thanks again to you and all the others who responded to this thread.

Peace!
Todd
Old 03-07-2008, 03:59 AM

Chiledog, whenever you get that head combo, please share your thoughts on it as well.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:01 PM

Will do, Contemplativedrummer. The heads should be in today or tomorrow.

Todd
Old 03-24-2008, 09:58 PM

evans eq3 on the batter and remo powerstroke 3 on the reso, ported. i just had to put my two cents in there. ha ha!
Old 03-25-2008, 06:36 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiledog View Post
I have searched this forum and found out some interesting things, but not precisely what I am looking for. As we all know bass drum heads are expensive, so I would like to get this right the first time. I have done a lot of research so far, and thought I had a game plan for a purchase, but now I am not so sure.

Here is what I am looking for. I am looking for a bass drum head combination that will work for blues, country, acoustic/folk style music. **Not** a rock kick drum sound, and not a pure jazz kick drum sound, something in between. I know that a lot of country and blues have a rock vein in them in todays music, but again, that is not what I am looking for, as I already have a kick drum head combination for the rock style.

I am open to all manufacturers, I am just looking for a kick drum sound that is flexible enough to cover the aforementioned styles.

The drum in question is a Tama 22"X16" Swingstar from 04/05.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your time.

Peace!
Todd
I play all for bands in all of the styles you mentioned and I have yet to find anything better suited than a Remo Powerstroke 3 on the batter and a single ply front or even a Powerstroke 3 on the front as well with a small, 4 hole for air release (I use internal micing). I do use either the factory supplied DW muffling pillow or a Punch Pad. This pretty much covers me in just about any situation.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Old 03-25-2008, 06:50 AM
Platinum Member

Each response on this thread is different from the other. Doesnt help you much, does it?

I would simply say all the top manufacters are great and you cant really go wrong with any of them. Heres some basic info to go on:

* 2 ply are more thuddy, 1ply is more ringy

* Many heads have varying degrees of pre manufactured muffling ( pinstripes, ps 3, 4, eqs etc ) and some like EMADS even have muffling you can insert onto the head.

* Coated heads have a different character than clear heads/ something you'll have to check out if youre that particular about getting it right the first time.

* Last but not least, my belief is that that with the right tuning, muffling, felt strips, port holes ( or not ), you can get pretty much exactly the sound you want.

p.s I think the Evans/ Remo websites have a sound grid that describes the sonic qualites of each head too
Old 03-25-2008, 02:53 PM

i agree. it's all about what sound you're going for, doing the research, experimenting (which is a bit hard considering that heads aren't cheap but then research will minimize experiment), and tuning.

i thought the EMAD was going to eliminate the need for putting stuff IN the bass drum. to my suprise, the EQ3 and the Powerstrok3 with a 4 inch port did the trick nicely. i hate stuffing or taping stuff to my drums and that combo really worked. punch and rumble is what i got.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:34 PM

Aydee,
You are so right! I guess I should have rephrased my question. Ahh...hindsight is 20/20! Oh well this thread has still been very informative, for me anyway.

I can't believe how much trouble I have had trying to get the EMAD2 and the EQ1 Coated Reso. I placed the order 3 weeks ago, and I was told it would be a week. That week went by, and the manager forgot to place the order with Evans. As their account is direct with Evans they have a minium order requirement. So I was told another week. Well essentially 2 weeks went by as I have been busy work wise. I went by the shop yesterday only to find out the EMAD 2 had NOT been ordered. How strange is that considering I gave him the part numbers off the Evans site. I did get the EQ1 Reso in and the heads for the Floor Tom, just no EMAD2. So I wait another week.

tick, tick, tick, tick, etc!

Thanks for all the input folks!

Peace,
Todd