DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 03-21-2008, 09:21 PM
Silver Member

Default Another evil plan...

...comes together.

After I bought the 14x14" floor tom to turn my four piece to a five, I knew that there was a bop kit in my future.

The bass drum and rack tom arrived yesterday. I ordered the bass drum with two white res heads so I could put a hole in one, and keep the other as a spare. I am using an Aquarian SK-1 for the batter. On the toms I have coated emperors over coated ambassadors.

It has been a while since I owned an 18" bass drum. I have to get a riser for it as I can't get my pedal set to where I am happy with the feel.

I picked up this A Zildjian cymbal pack a few weeks ago from a shop in Ottawa. 20" med ride, 14" new beat hats, 14" fast crash, 16" med/thin crash, plus cymbal bag. The 14 is a little too limp, so I will likely replace it. The shop where I bought the kit from had some nice used K crashes, so I might pick up a 16" dark, unless it gets sold out from under me.

The snare is a 14x6". When I bought my big kit, I was not quite happy with the edge snare, so I ordered this one. While I was waiting for it, I figured out the edge, and really fell in love with it, so this one never saw much use. That will change now.

I have ben playing on or with this kit all day, and the more I hit it, the more I like it.

Barry
Old 03-21-2008, 09:30 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Another evil plan...

So nice, so nice, so nice!! You have great taste in drums my friend! Check my signature for the same color yet older WMP dubs.

I would love to have that bop setup. It is killer!!
Old 03-21-2008, 09:38 PM
Silver Member

Barry-

Great looking stuff. I think bop sets are so cool. I saw a thread recently where you were considering the A Zildjian pack and glad they provided a reason to order more drums (or vise versa). It's all a means to an end.

Just a teaser here, but I picked up some new cymbals recently and I am withholding the details until I can get pictures posted. Oh and some new gear... and some new heads...and some new sticks...Muhahaa!!

Press here for my drums
"No one has bought his last drum."
Old 03-21-2008, 11:51 PM
Silver Member

...Thanks guys.

Drumr0. White marine pearl has always been my favorite wrap. If I could I would own a set of Pearls, Yamahas, Gretsch, Ludwigs, Premiers, and Fibes all in white marine pearl. I like your kit, but sadly I lack the imagination/chops/ability to play on anything other than a four piece. Between my big kit, and this bop kit I could combine them, but in playing them I would probably sound more like a car hitting a house.

Ten Past. When I went to pick these drums up, I took my Wife with me. She even carried the tom to the car for me. It was one of those I don't know who this woman is, or what she did with my Wife, but I think I'll keep her moments. I think I am done with any new purchases for now. My next evil plan is to sell my tiger ash kit, my franken kit, and posibly my black oyster kit, then sneak across the Ontario Quebec border when we are in Ottawa, and have Francois build me a made in Canada kit.

Barry
Old 03-22-2008, 02:21 AM
Pioneer Member

beautiful....for me though a white marine kit would have to be 24,13,16,18
Old 03-22-2008, 04:51 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cymbalrider View Post
beautiful....for me though a white marine kit would have to be 24,13,16,18
...I have all those sizes.

Problem is, the 18 is a bass drum.

Barry
Old 03-22-2008, 08:01 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz View Post
...Thanks guys.

Drumr0. White marine pearl has always been my favorite wrap. If I could I would own a set of Pearls, Yamahas, Gretsch, Ludwigs, Premiers, and Fibes all in white marine pearl. I like your kit, but sadly I lack the imagination/chops/ability to play on anything other than a four piece. Between my big kit, and this bop kit I could combine them, but in playing them I would probably sound more like a car hitting a house.

Barry

I actually think it takes more talent and ingenuity to play a 4 pc than a bigger kit. You have to do more with less. I have been wanting a 4 pc setup for awhile, but using a rack it is a pain to have to convert it back to stands and I have been to busy or lazy to fool with it. I have a rack and think a 4 pc does not look all that great with a rack, much better with stands.

I would love to see a photo of both of your kits combined. That would be a killer setup no doubt!!
Old 03-22-2008, 08:43 PM
KARL MEMBER

Wow, that does look so nice! This white pearl wrap looks very beautiful and it seems that you`re a fan of those "retro" wraps?

If you don`t mind telling me, how much was the pure 3-piece shell set?

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:35 PM
Gold Member

Barry,
Those are some beautiful drums. I like the way you've got Junior facing Senior,lol. Just remember me when you are selling drums for your next evil plan. (Craviotto)

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 03-22-2008, 10:40 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer Karl View Post
Wow, that does look so nice! This white pearl wrap looks very beautiful and it seems that you`re a fan of those "retro" wraps?

If you don`t mind telling me, how much was the pure 3-piece shell set?

Karl
...Thanks Karl.

The 18, 14, and 12 cost just under $2,000.00 Canadian. I priced out the same three drums a little over a year ago, and they would have cost me $2,300.00 Canadian back then. Since the American dollar has dropped down to where it is more or less at par with the Canadian dollar, DW drums and Zildjian cymbals have come down in price.

...Hola mendozart.

The Craviotto might be a big part of my next evil plan, as It might end up surrounded by a Unix kit. I see a 20x18, 10x9, 12x10, 14x12 kit in my (hopefully) not too distant future.

If that evil plan changes, you will be the first to know.

Barry
Old 03-22-2008, 11:00 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumr0 View Post
I actually think it takes more talent and ingenuity to play a 4 pc than a bigger kit. You have to do more with less. I have been wanting a 4 pc setup for awhile, but using a rack it is a pain to have to convert it back to stands and I have been to busy or lazy to fool with it. I have a rack and think a 4 pc does not look all that great with a rack, much better with stands.

I would love to see a photo of both of your kits combined. That would be a killer setup no doubt!!
...Drumr0.

I know that this is often one of those big kit versus small kit arguments that is usually started by the small kit cats. In my case, I think that the four piece is a comfort zone thing, and rather than doing more with less, I tend to do less with less. When I do add toms and cymbals, I tend to be a little gratuitous with their use, and can never use them as tastefully as I know that I should. On a bigger kit, I spend a lot of time in the red LEDs' on my wank-o-meter.

I see drummers playing five or six piece kits, with double pedals who just smoke on them. I am always in awe of how many of them seem to be able to get around them so effortlessly, and naturally. I am too old and stubborn to put in the kind of effort and practice that I would need in order to play anywhere near that level.

I am afraid that I will be a four whore for life.

Barry
Old 03-23-2008, 07:16 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
... My next evil plan is to sell my tiger ash kit, my franken kit, and posibly my black oyster kit, then sneak across the Ontario Quebec border when we are in Ottawa, and have Francois build me a made in Canada kit.

Barry
I must apologize to you in advance for the harassing PMs you're going to get when I order my Unix snare. (after a metal snare). There is no timeline in place, but it will happen. I'm gonna lean on you and FourStrings to help me through the process.

Press here for my drums
"No one has bought his last drum."
Old 03-23-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
...Drumr0.

I know that this is often one of those big kit versus small kit arguments that is usually started by the small kit cats. In my case, I think that the four piece is a comfort zone thing, and rather than doing more with less, I tend to do less with less. When I do add toms and cymbals, I tend to be a little gratuitous with their use, and can never use them as tastefully as I know that I should. On a bigger kit, I spend a lot of time in the red LEDs' on my wank-o-meter.

I see drummers playing five or six piece kits, with double pedals who just smoke on them. I am always in awe of how many of them seem to be able to get around them so effortlessly, and naturally. I am too old and stubborn to put in the kind of effort and practice that I would need in order to play anywhere near that level.

I am afraid that I will be a four whore for life.

Barry
You should really consider a career in comic writing. I always get a kick out of reading your post's. I envy your quick wit, thanks for the levity.

Hugh
Old 03-23-2008, 08:07 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroneAmbition View Post
You should really consider a career in comic writing. I always get a kick out of reading your post's. I envy your quick wit, thanks for the levity.

Hugh
...Thanks Throne.

If my writing was as funny as my playing, I would be in Hollywood.

barry
Old 03-24-2008, 02:37 AM

Sweet. I am going to buy a DW in those bop sizes ina few years. "A" cymbals probaly sound great with that kit!
Old 03-26-2008, 04:22 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuacreamer97 View Post
Sweet. I am going to buy a DW in those bop sizes ina few years. "A" cymbals probaly sound great with that kit!
...Thanks Josh.

The A's do sound really good. I replaced the 14" fast crash with a used 16" K dark. To me, the 14 sounded too much like a splash with a hard on. The pitch on the K is a little lower, and it has a shorter sustain than the A. Both crashes compliment each other very nicely.

Barry