DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 03-20-2008, 06:23 PM

Default Bass Drum Head for 16x20 Birch

I just got my Ludwig Classic Birch kit in yesterday.

I'm going to replace the tom-tom and floor tom with coated ambassadors over clear ambassadors.

I just don't know about the kick.

Im thinking emad or ps3 coated.

Id like the ps3 coated or ciated ambassdor for the reso.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:55 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Bass Drum Head for 16x20 Birch

I use a PS3 on my 16 x 20 export select bass drum and it's sounds great on the res. side I have a Aquarian black head with a hole in it.if you're going with a coated head on the res. side may I suggest a thin fibreskin head IMO they look cooler.

Keep Swattin',
Bonzolead
Old 03-20-2008, 07:05 PM
fourstringdrums

I used to use an EQ3, but a PS3 would be nice too. At the moment I'm using a coated EQ4.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:06 PM
Platinum Member

Your head combination is gonna give you a very live sound. If you want that same type of open sound on your kick, then coated/smooth white Ambassadors batter and reso. would probably be the ticket. The PS3 is just a Ambassador with a built on richie ring, and it's probably my favorite head for batter. Some cats like the felt strip on the Ambassador. I like the PS3. It will control some of the overtones. My personal starting point for kick drum is clear PS3 batter, ebony Ambassador reso. And then I go from there. If I want to change something, I do.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:20 PM

There's always Ludwig WeatherMaster's if you're considering Ambassadors on a Ludwig kit. I use them (mediums) top and bottom all over my classic maples. Uncoated on both ends of the bass drum. Coated on top of the toms and snare. The Supraphonic loves these.

-Ryan
Old 03-21-2008, 02:18 AM

Pics PLEASE i'm thinking of getting this kit and a can't decide on what finish. I need this kit to last me a long time so i need to be satisfied with my choice. Oh and I would go with the emad, in my opinion they can't be beat.

Last edited by bmandrumer25; 03-21-2008 at 03:29 AM.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmandrumer25 View Post
Pics PLEASE i'm thinking of getting this kit and a can't decide on what finish. I need this kit to last me a long time so i need to be satisfied with my choice. Oh and I would go with the emad, in my opinion they can't be beat.
Here is a picture of a Classic Birch kit in the Natural Satin finish:
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2008, 02:04 PM

Definatly the Evans EMAD2! Simply the best modern-sounding kick drum skin I have heard/played.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvoguy View Post
There's always Ludwig WeatherMaster's if you're considering Ambassadors on a Ludwig kit. I use them (mediums) top and bottom all over my classic maples. Uncoated on both ends of the bass drum. Coated on top of the toms and snare. The Supraphonic loves these.

-Ryan
Do you use a snare side head on your Supraphonic?

Thanks, Hugh
Old 03-21-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Here is a picture of a Classic Birch kit in the Natural Satin finish
:

When did you order you kit the last time i looked at Ludwig's website they only had 3 finishes?
Old 03-21-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroneAmbition View Post
Do you use a snare side head on your Supraphonic?

Thanks, Hugh
Sweet kit! What sizes are the floor toms? I have almost the same kit, but in maple and a with a "standard" 9x13 rack tom.

As for the snare head, yep.... a proper snare-side specific head (Ludwig WeatherMaster snare side). It's a bit of a double pleasure for me to use these heads on the snare because the supraphonic is a 1967 and had the original heads on it when I bought it. Back then, standard Ludwig heads were "WeatherMaster" with the vintage script/logo on the edge of the head. At some point, probably when Ludwig went to the new logo, the heads became the Ludwig Ensemble, IIRC. In the 90's when everything went retro, those heads became "WeatherMaster" again, with the similar "vintage" script/logo. So it was nice to be able to pull off the old, original late 1960's WeatherMasters, and put on a fresh pair... and they do sound great on the snare. Though, I'm thinking about Remo Fyberskins on the toms next time around...

Cheers!
-Ryan
Old 03-21-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmandrumer25 View Post
:

When did you order you kit the last time i looked at Ludwig's website they only had 3 finishes?
I ordered the drums in early 2007 receiving most of them in April 2007. It's been a few months since I have looked at Ludwig's website, what a surprise. I ordered an 8x12 rack tom in September 2007 to match up to an 8x10 that I got with the initial order and received it in November. Appears I now have a collectors kit. I'm glad I ordered that 8x12 now.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Sweet kit! What sizes are the floor toms? I have almost the same kit, but in maple and a with a "standard" 9x13 rack tom.

As for the snare head, yep.... a proper snare-side specific head (Ludwig WeatherMaster snare side). It's a bit of a double pleasure for me to use these heads on the snare because the supraphonic is a 1967 and had the original heads on it when I bought it. Back then, standard Ludwig heads were "WeatherMaster" with the vintage script/logo on the edge of the head. At some point, probably when Ludwig went to the new logo, the heads became the Ludwig Ensemble, IIRC. In the 90's when everything went retro, those heads became "WeatherMaster" again, with the similar "vintage" script/logo. So it was nice to be able to pull off the old, original late 1960's WeatherMasters, and put on a fresh pair... and they do sound great on the snare. Though, I'm thinking about Remo Fyberskins on the toms next time around...

Cheers!
-Ryan
I've seen your Classic Maple kit, in fact I replied to your post in the Ludwig thread. Having come out the closet they look fantastic. They caught my eye pretty quick. I love the finish on your kit. I sometimes wish I would have spent a little more and ordered the Classic Maple from what I have read the maple shells have a warmer sound. I'm thinking about a Supraphonic Snare. Do you think they're worth the money?

My Birch floor toms are 14x14 and 16x16. I really enjoy playing the 1-up 2-down configuration. It's been neat to see Ludwig's come back. They're making a good product again.

Hugh
Old 03-22-2008, 06:48 AM

Quote:
I've seen your Classic Maple kit, in fact I replied to your post in the Ludwig thread. Having come out the closet they look fantastic. They caught my eye pretty quick. I love the finish on your kit. I sometimes wish I would have spent a little more and ordered the Classic Maple from what I have read the maple shells have a warmer sound. I'm thinking about a Supraphonic Snare. Do you think they're worth the money?

My Birch floor toms are 14x14 and 16x16. I really enjoy playing the 1-up 2-down configuration. It's been neat to see Ludwig's come back. They're making a good product again.

Hugh
I actually saw your message and replied over there... we've got kind of the two thread "thing" happening! Wish I had gone with a 14x14 instead of the two 16's.

The supraphonics are great drums... and really versatile. Joe Morello used one on probably all of the Brubeck stuff... and it holds up just fine in louder rock settings. Even with the standard snares it's super responsive at any volume of playing. It's also really easy to tune.

What do you think of the birch snare? I'd love to get a wooden one someday. Someday...

Indeed, it's great seeing Ludwig's getting popular again. They're great drums, and it's neat how the white resonant heads have also made a comeback!

-Ryan
Old 03-22-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
What do you think of the birch snare? I'd love to get a wooden one someday. Someday...

-Ryan
I don't know if it's me or the drum, but I haven't been able to get that nice "crack" sound that I am looking for. I'm using Coated Ambassador over Ambassador Hazy. I've tuned the snare side head as tight as the tension rods will allow. I'm sure it's my lack of patience in the tuning process. "Someday", I'll take the time to do it right.

Hugh
Old 03-22-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
I don't know if it's me or the drum, but I haven't been able to get that nice "crack" sound that I am looking for. I'm using Coated Ambassador over Ambassador Hazy. I've tuned the snare side head as tight as the tension rods will allow. I'm sure it's my lack of patience in the tuning process. "Someday", I'll take the time to do it right.

Hugh
What size is your snare? With the 5x14 supraphonic anyway, I get the heads "pretty" tight, but there's a point where you start "choking" the drum, back off from there a little. Similarly, with the snares, you can tighten them to the point that they sound "choked" and then back them off a little. If everything is "too" tight, you start losing projection and sound.

By tuning like this, I can get away without muffling the drum at all, which really opens up the sound.

-Ryan
Old 03-23-2008, 02:30 AM
Platinum Member

Coated ambs front and rear, or if you want a little more control play around with a PS3 on the batter or even one on the reso too. I prefer them unported too.