DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 03-08-2008, 09:05 PM
Platinum Member

Default My first couple of days with Jojo Mayer Signature Vic Firth sticks

...and I'm not quite sure what to make of them...but so far I *think* I like them? :|

I had to order them as there aren't any local shops that carry them...so I couldn't try 'em out first. Listening to Jojo talk about them on his video piqued my interest (nice marketing job, Jojo!) I've been experimenting with thicker sticks (than my normal VF 5A American Classic or Weckl Evolution) - but was always put off by weight. I tried maple sticks but found them less comfortable for whatever reason.

So, I spent 3 hrs. last night w/ the Jojo's and a bit of time today...they're definitely different - the diameter of a 5B but shorter than a 5A, so they're as light as your typical VF 5A.

What's everyone else think of these?
Old 03-17-2008, 11:38 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: My first couple of days with Jojo Mayer Signature Vic Firth sticks

OK - no one cares...but that never stopped me before. :) Now I've had a couple of weeks with these sticks and I'm back to report my take.

They're roughly as thick as a 5B but 1/2" or so shorter than a 5A, so the weight can be compared to a Vic Firth 5A...though the feel is different.

The weight seems centered toward the back of the stick, at least to me - probably due to the length. I like the width a lot...I was looking for a stick that I could grip more easily as a 5A was just a bit too thin for my biggish hands. Moving around the kit w/ these sticks is easier for me, they feel much more controllable and I'm able to use my fingers more...as a result I'm playing more relaxed than ever. I'm still trying to get used to the missing 1/2 of stick. For example...I was so used to where my 5As fell on the snare and hats...that I had to move both to be comfortable - it's probably more psychological than anything.

I like 'em! I recommend them to anyone who wants the width of a 5B but not the heft.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:34 PM

Zambizzi,
I went out to the VF web site to take a look. They look very interesting to me, especially the taper and the bead. I used a Pro Mark 5B for years when I was gigging in rock band. Now that I am just playing for myself, I dropped down to a 5A, and it was a world of difference on the ride cymbal. I figured this was due to the longer taper and the smaller bead, and have since confirmed that theory in "The Drummer's Handbook". Sometimes though I find myself wishing I had the 5B diameter for the grip comfort, when playing harder. Therefore your observations interest me, thanks for sharing.

Peace,
Todd
Old 03-19-2008, 11:35 PM
Pioneer Member

I don't think that it's a matter of no one caring just probably few people who have used them for the same reason you had to order them most stores don't carry them. I know I'm leary of buying sticks without being able to see how they feel first.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:43 PM
Platinum Member

Also try 'Thomas Lang's' stick for some that comfortable finger action the fatter sticks give.

The Lang's have a teardrop (acorn) tip, which IMO is much better on cymbals than a bead/ball tip. Acorn tip also gives better feel in all arm positions on the drums. Little shorter and fatter than a 2B with a beffier shoulder, giving a more balanced feel compared to the (VF) 2B which has a lighter top end.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post
I don't think that it's a matter of no one caring just probably few people who have used them for the same reason you had to order them most stores don't carry them. I know I'm leary of buying sticks without being able to see how they feel first.
It was a joke...my feelings aren't hurt...honest.

In further news; my drum teacher came by last night and tried them out...he said he ordered two pair today! He's not a guy who switches sticks, either.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
Also try 'Thomas Lang's' stick for some that comfortable finger action the fatter sticks give.

The Lang's have a teardrop (acorn) tip, which IMO is much better on cymbals than a bead/ball tip. Acorn tip also gives better feel in all arm positions on the drums. Little shorter and fatter than a 2B with a beffier shoulder, giving a more balanced feel compared to the (VF) 2B which has a lighter top end.
Maybe I will, thanks!