DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 03-11-2008, 01:31 AM

Default Want to record

Me and my band want to record some songs and put them on the computer so we can hear ourselves play properly but we don't really know anything about it so I'm asking here.

I'm not exactly sure what we need however. I was looking at recorders on www.music123.com For example I was looking at this one http://www.music123.com/TASCAM-DP-01...25987.Music123

Do we need something like that? Or won't that quite do? Do my drums need to be miced and connected to the recorder? Do the amps for the guitars need to be miced?

We have an old 2nd hand mixer which the PA is connected to as well. Would the recorder connect to that?

We are only a garage band so obviously nothing too fancy or expensive. Could someone please tell me what sort of things we'd need? We're a garage band so it obviously can't be too expensive.

Thanks a lot.
Old 03-15-2008, 05:31 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Want to record

What are your goals with the recording?

Do you want to record your own albums? Prepare to invest a good amount of money and time. Want to just make some quick demos to give to friends and help in getting gigs? Get a cheaper digi recorder and be done with it.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Want to record

i've been using a firestudio (formerly firepod) because i can record 8 tracks at once which is great for drumming. i'm using audix mics (aren't the best but they get the job done). you'll definitely want to get some kind of audio interface such as the mbox 2. that's how i started out, i would use a mixer and put the outputs into the audio interface, it worked alright, can't complain. guitar amps should be mic'd, start out with a Shure SM57 or a Sennheiser E609. most basses should be plugged in directly to the audio interface since they can be troublesome to mic when it comes to bass amps. vocals you can use the sm57 again but it'd probably be better to use a large-diaphragm condenser such as a mxl 990 or mxl v63m. if you're mic'ing the bass amp it's probably also best to use a large diaphragm condensor, and put it far (about 8 inches) away from the amp since bass guitar sound waves take longer to develop.