DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 03-07-2008, 10:02 PM

Default Remo vs Aquarian Heads...cant decide

So I'll probably be getting a new set of heads replacing my stock tama heads that I currently have. I'd consider myself a n00b so bear with me. I'm trying to get rid of the ringing/overtones from my toms and heard either the remo pinstripes or aquarian performance 2 heads might be good for that. I'm also looking for kind of a warm deep sound from my toms. Has anyone here played much on either, and if so which would you recommend?
Old 03-07-2008, 10:28 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Remo vs Aquarian Heads...cant decide

Just changed heads myself. I mentioned a copule of the heads you have questions about.

I hope this helps.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=36290
Old 03-16-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DansNutz View Post
So I'll probably be getting a new set of heads replacing my stock tama heads that I currently have. I'd consider myself a n00b so bear with me. I'm trying to get rid of the ringing/overtones from my toms and heard either the remo pinstripes or aquarian performance 2 heads might be good for that. I'm also looking for kind of a warm deep sound from my toms. Has anyone here played much on either, and if so which would you recommend?
hey mate ive played drums for 12 years and have used alot of diffrent heads. in my exsperience the remo pinstripe arnt all that, they do break evan if like me your not a hard hitter. remo tend to dent easly as well. the aquarian heads are good but not the most durable. if u want something that has all the things u want in a tom the Evans EC2 heads are the best ones ive found very durable. they have 2 ply with a thin metal damaning ring and hydrolic flewid in the middle for wormth. they give a great sound and are some of the best heads out there. good luck mate.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:23 PM
Pioneer Member

First question that should be addressed is the "ring" you want to get rid of. Is that because it annoys you from behind the kit or you hear it really bad out in front say 15-20 ft away.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:34 PM

I recommend the Evans EC2 heads.

Very durable, slight ring reduction but not too much, deep, full sound

I teach a student who I got these heads for and he loves them on his Pearl Export Kit
Old 03-16-2008, 09:08 PM
Pioneer Member

For getting a deep sound without muffling the drums I would recommend EC1s or EC2s with G1 Clear as bottoms. Pinstripes, hydaulics muffle the drums too much and to everyone else your kit sounds like playing a couch. My vote is for Evans over Remo or Aquarian though. I have had plenty of quality issues with Remo, but have also had some great sounding heads. With Aquarian, I could get a good sound or decent quality. Every Evans head I have bought has been consistently good in sound, durability, and construction. If you go with Remo, try Coated Emperor heads. Evans really doesn't have an equivalent of these. G2 Coated are supposedly made the same way but sound quite different. They are a lot brighter and ring more than G1s do. I have EC2 clears on one of my sets and these are pretty nice. Although they do have that thick sound that comes from 2 ply heads though, which is a bit too much for me. I hope to try EC1s at some point. The G1 Coated are always a nice and versatile option (as are Remo Ambassadors and Vintage As)
Old 03-16-2008, 11:59 PM

Very important point about Aquarian heads is that unlike all other heads they do not have a pre made bearing edge , like a conga head aquarian heads have no edge , they are rounded and will seat to your drum perfectly... all other makes of head allready have an edge.
This means aquarians have a finer feel for tuning and last longer.

I would still recomend good old remo heads for snare drums and kinda daily use , but for that special touch ... try the aquarians.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:50 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Just FYI, Ring and Overtone isn't the same, ring is bad and overtone is good. Ring come from bad head or bad tuning or bad edge or warped out of round drum. Overtone is the frequency harmonic needed for good drum sound.

My opinion on this is keep your stock head, save your money and just buy the REM-O-RING , no need of new heads for a dead sound, even sell your drum and play on cardbox, it will sound exactly on how you want your drum sound. Seriously drums are meant to be heard and need to breath and sing their voice, beginners tend to think drums should sound dead while it's the opposite. You will thank me later when you will eventually find out how sweet unmuffled drums sound.

Just for an experience, Tune your stock head the best you can, buy as I said the REM-O-RING and ask someone to play your kit with and without ring while standing at 20 - 30 feet away and base your preference on the sound you will hear ;-)

My Kit Latest Update
Old 03-17-2008, 06:42 PM
Mystic

This man speaks the truth, but I find myself changing muffling stuff all the time, like taking pillows out of my bass drums, putting em back in, using muffled and unmuffled toms, but I found that the remo Powerstroke 3 is a great head for this, because I tried the pinstripe and it got rid of the overtones, but it also got rid of the volume. With the Powerstroke 3 it has the ring built around the edge and it still maintains great volume with necessary overtones. Also that has been said new drummers tend to like the very dead sound, this is true, but it is also true that it is preference, and preferences change all of the time. I change my preferences monthly. Hope this helped gl
Old 03-18-2008, 04:41 AM
Pioneer Member

I've discovered a cheap way to get those muffling rings. Not that I like them, but it's an interesting fact. You take a razor blade and/or scissors to old drum heads. Cut them out into rings. Then you've got free mylar rings for use on your drums later.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:09 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
You might also want to think in terms of Remo Powerstroke 3s for those toms. This is a single ply head with an underlay which dampens the overtones. Remo also has a Powerstroke 4 which has the underlay combined with a 2 ply head.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw