DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 03-07-2008, 09:42 PM

Default My Recovered Custom Drums

Long story short, these drum shells were given to me as my first kit several years ago from a good friend. I never quite knew what make they were but I have a suspicion that they are old Pearl shells. When i got them originally the wrap finish looked like garbage so I ordered some new wraps and you can see what that finish used to look like. I recently recovered them yet again but this time I used sheets of maple veneer which I then applied with contact cement. After the veneer had dried I then stained and coated the shells and now I have a really great looking custom red maple finish.

I bought a second drum set which I now use as my 'on-the-go' kit for school and many of my gigs. Because of this I now always get to leave this red beauty set up in the drum studio and I am in the process of getting a lttile home studio set up once i get my laptop working.

Last edited by drummercam; 03-10-2008 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: My Recovered Custom Drums

pretty good job mate. That single headed drum with the BP head on it looks quite intresting, what's that?

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 03-07-2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
pretty good job mate. That single headed drum with the BP head on it looks quite intresting, what's that?
Thats the original snare that i got with the kit. I used it as my first test drum when i was figuring out how to apply the veneer to the shells. it makes a great timbale sound with the single head on.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:57 PM
Gold Member

Good lord you have more cymbals off than on the kit!

Nice!
Old 03-07-2008, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal overlord View Post

Nice!
hah, thats not even all of them, i have a collection of handmade jazz cymbals that i use on my other set up.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:25 PM
Platinum Member

How? How can you keep a lovely 2oo2 sitting on the wall like that? It's blasphemy, I tell you. I guess that ride more than makes up for it, is that the 24-incher? The red finish on the drums looks cool too.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal overlord View Post

Nice!

I KNOW!!!!!!!!! When I first looked at the kit all i saw was cymbals off the kit at the wall. WOW !!! and some snares on the shelf but still im still shoked by the cymbals lol.
also Nice kit man!!!
Old 03-11-2008, 06:19 PM
Silver Member

Couple of thoughts here:

First, great decision on refinishing the drums. And by the looks of things, it was a great success.

Second, I, too was alarmed by the cymbals on the wall. I was intrigued that of all you have to choose from, you ran with the B8 china - apparently proof that the decision is based on the sound from the cymbal, rather than the printing on the cymbal. It must be great fun to have to choose the cymbal you want. I can just imagine you sitting on the throne and pointing to the "cymbal bullpen" and having someone bring in the "righty." Great fun.

Thirdly, we, drummers are a vain bunch, yes? Not only do we think we are indispensable to the music, but we even call our seat a throne. Only drummers can be so vain as to set up a full length mirror in which to bask in the glory of our own greatness, like some narcissistic voyeur. And you know what? We're right. We do deserve it. No one else can see us behind our forest of stands, cymbals, and drums, so we might as well enjoy ourselves.

Lastly, what's this? Is this an active piece of percussion? Just curious.
Attached Images

Press here for my drums
"No one has bought his last drum."
Old 03-11-2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenPastTen View Post
Couple of thoughts here:

First, great decision on refinishing the drums. And by the looks of things, it was a great success.

Second, I, too was alarmed by the cymbals on the wall. I was intrigued that of all you have to choose from, you ran with the B8 china - apparently proof that the decision is based on the sound from the cymbal, rather than the printing on the cymbal. It must be great fun to have to choose the cymbal you want. I can just imagine you sitting on the throne and pointing to the "cymbal bullpen" and having someone bring in the "righty." Great fun.

Thirdly, we, drummers are a vain bunch, yes? Not only do we think we are indispensable to the music, but we even call our seat a throne. Only drummers can be so vain as to set up a full length mirror in which to bask in the glory of our own greatness, like some narcissistic voyeur. And you know what? We're right. We do deserve it. No one else can see us behind our forest of stands, cymbals, and drums, so we might as well enjoy ourselves.

Lastly, what's this? Is this an active piece of percussion? Just curious.
This kit lives in this room 90% of the time because I have another kit which I use at school and on gigs. I like to have fun throwing different cymbals into this setup as the music calls for them. The setup in these pictures by no means represents my 'usual setup' but instead happened to be what I had been playing that particular day. I installed 8 rivets into that B8 china and it pretty neat when struck but unfortunately it still sounds like a typical B8 cymbal when I ride on it. The best part about my cymbal collection is the fact that I actually have even more cymbals!! I think the word to describe this would be addiction. That piece of metal you pointed out actually serves no musical purpose, it is the remains of a 20" zildjian z custom medium crash that I bought of ebay. I payed something like 2 bucks for it because it was badly cracked around the edges and i cut it down to a 10" bell. I had another old pearl cymbal which I did the same thing to and now those two cymbals make up the mini hats you can see in the pics. They sound great, especially for playing cascara patterns on.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:45 AM
Pioneer Member

you don't see sky blue pearl anymore...