DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 03-06-2008, 09:26 AM

Default 50's drum sound

Hi,

I am looking for drum heads (combinations of batters and resonant heads) that sound identical or closest to the sound of real skins. Looking for a 50's rockabilly/60's garage sound.

Something like the sound of the drums on this CRAZY video. http://youtube.com/watch?v=YvC2_nsVJv0

Thanks for any advice.
-Jim

Last edited by skaliwag66; 03-06-2008 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:44 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: 50's drum sound

Check out Aquarian's Modern Vintage heads.
They were created to capture the calf head sound.

Remo has the FiberSkyn heads that sound fat and full, like calf heads too.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:51 PM
Pioneer Member

I have had Fiberskyns (still have one on my snare) and these are truly unique heads. Great texture for brushes and it doesn't come off under sticks. But if you are looking for that crack out of your snare then these probably aren't going to help you. At least not the medium weight ones. The thin versions are a bit more resonant. Personally, I have had too many quality issues with Remo to continue buying these though. My last Remo order had 2 defective heads. They had a great sound but didn't stay in tune for long. Fiberskyns also seemed a little sensitive to the weather. Strange since they aren't calf skin but they started acting like them. I had regular weekly gigs over the summer at a restaurant. We played outside on the patio, and these heads tended to go dead out there. In the late 50s though, the heads became the synthetic mylar ones we have now. Going with G1 Coateds or those new Remo Vintage Ambassadors is pretty close. The biggest thing though is that 50s drums were made of different wood (often maple/mahogany (the real kind from Africa or South America) combinations. The bearing edges were shaped differently to get a warmer tone and the plies were a lot thinner. Shells typically were only 3 plies or so and not the 7-10 we have today. If you want to gamble, try Remo Vintage Ambassadors or Fiberskyns. If you want to play it safe, go for Evans G1 Coated top and bottoms or J1 Etched.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:12 AM

thanks for the advice guys
i guess i'll try out the fiberskyns if they don't grab me then ill stick with the coated evans heads.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:38 AM
Silver Member

The Aquarian Vintage heads are of higher quality than the Fiberskyns and have a rounder, fuller, fatter sound. Probably what you are looking for I would assume.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:41 PM

the snare in the video sounds like its a metal one and cranked.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:30 AM
Pioneer Member

I had a Modern Vintage Medium head one time. It was just way to expensive for something that felt and sounded just like a coated head. The coating was extra thick which gave it a warmer sound but once it's played in it starts acting exactly like every other kind. If you want a truly unique head, get fiberskyns. Although I suggest staying with G1s or J1 Etched.