DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 03-10-2008, 05:40 PM

Default Peter Criss

I searched and couldn't find a topic with his name on it so here it is.

Peter Criss from Kiss, discuss.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:25 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Peter Criss

I saw Peter Criss with KISS in 1978 at the Civic Arena in Pittsburgh. I was about 11 years old and was very excited about the show. After about 5 songs there was an interuption as we found out Peter Criss had passed out backstage bring the show to a halt...have no idea why....but after about 5-10 minutes they revived him and the show went on. Paul Stanley looked embarassed. Peter was a big influence when I was young before getting into Bonham, Peart,then Bozzio, Copeland,Wackerman, Cinnie, Tony, Buddy,Billy,Rod...etc....etc....I learned how to keep basic rock time to Detroit rock City.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:32 AM

I think I'm one of maybe three people in the known universe that liked Peter's solo album.

--LG
Old 03-12-2008, 04:07 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveGoat View Post
I think I'm one of maybe three people in the known universe that liked Peter's solo album.
Funny, I had the album but it was so long ago that I don't remember anything about it.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:27 AM

his solo album was the worst selling of the 4. I find his drumming tasteful and catchy on the most part of his Kiss recordings.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member

Before anyone else really, PC was my first BIG influence as a young kid.
My favorite stuff is the first 3 albums and Alive!

I played to those records a lot.

With Destroyer, the songs changed, and his style for the most part lost it's swing to me.

The kits got bigger, and the fills started to break the groove of the song too much to me.

He always seemed to play something I thought was cool on Ace's songs, and I liked stuff he did on the Love Gun record, but overall, the drumming wasn't nearly as good as his early stuff to me.

I can still remember as a kid, looking at the pics of his kit in the Alive! booklet and thinking "Man, if I had a double tom stand like that, I'd be set" haha!

Back then, there wasn't all kinds of hardware available, and add-ons and all the stuff there is now.

I have a ton of video concerts (before the DVD's came out) and it's a bummer to see how cool his playing was in the early days, and what happened later.

He played with a lot of fire, and did cool fills, and then it seemed like pppffffttttt.
His playing on the 2000 Millenium concert in the DVD collection is pretty good though.

I didn't care for his solo record.

My favorite is still Ace's, followed by Gene's.

There are a couple cool tunes on Paul's, but I didn't play his much.

I sitll have the posters that came with those albums.
They're all still in mint condition too.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:44 PM

ok im only 15 years old iv been around old school rock,metal well you get the point.
peter criss is one of the best in that time the 80s 70s and really late 60s altho his music changed from time to time he was a very good drummer with heart and soul.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
Before anyone else really, PC was my first BIG influence as a young kid.
My favorite stuff is the first 3 albums and Alive!

I played to those records a lot.

With Destroyer, the songs changed, and his style for the most part lost it's swing to me.

The kits got bigger, and the fills started to break the groove of the song too much to me.

He always seemed to play something I thought was cool on Ace's songs, and I liked stuff he did on the Love Gun record, but overall, the drumming wasn't nearly as good as his early stuff to me.

I can still remember as a kid, looking at the pics of his kit in the Alive! booklet and thinking "Man, if I had a double tom stand like that, I'd be set" haha!

Back then, there wasn't all kinds of hardware available, and add-ons and all the stuff there is now.

I have a ton of video concerts (before the DVD's came out) and it's a bummer to see how cool his playing was in the early days, and what happened later.

He played with a lot of fire, and did cool fills, and then it seemed like pppffffttttt.
His playing on the 2000 Millenium concert in the DVD collection is pretty good though.

I didn't care for his solo record.

My favorite is still Ace's, followed by Gene's.

There are a couple cool tunes on Paul's, but I didn't play his much.

I sitll have the posters that came with those albums.
They're all still in mint condition too.
That's funny Peter Criss was my favorite drummer when I was 6 yrs. old and my first album(yes I said album) was KISS "Alive" and that was in 1976 and you are correct the first 3 albums and Alive was there best stuff "Deuce","Strutter","She","Cold Gin",etc. not to mension "100,000 Years" I could just keep going with the old stuff, I think every young drummer back then wanted to be Peter Criss.I finally had the chance to see them when they first got back together at Tiger Stadium in Detroit of course,It was a crazy night (no pud intended) for sure.

Keep Swattin',
Bonzolead
Old 03-21-2008, 10:10 PM
Platinum Member

I was at Tiger Stadium too.

We had 8th row...got really lucky in the ticket lottery line.

Dynasty was my first concert.
The show I saw was a few days after the one that's in the DVD set.

I got screwed out of a Love Gun show. I was pretty bummed.

My friend and his wife are in the S.IO.L. video from Tiger Stadium.

They show them 2 times and they are dressed as Ace in the Destroyer outfit.

His wife is shown in a little side box too.

It's still fun putting on ALIVE! and jamming along to it.

Once in a while at rehearsal, we'll bust into one (or more) kiss song or another.

The Tiger Stadium show on the DVD set is pretty bad, but it was cool as hell when we were there.

On Deuce, they totally blow coming back into the song after the the break (where he screams)...it's pretty bad.

Oh well, that's rock & roll.

It's not like they were getting the big bucks and should have gotten it right or anything :-P!!!

The concert a few months later that's from the same tour onthe DVD is way better.
The Millenium show is real good too.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:47 PM

Peter's my number one influence as a drummer, even though I know that there are plenty of technically better drummers. I can remember growing up, putting KISS Alive into my Walkman cassette deck and pounding away for a couple hours.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:55 PM
Platinum Member

Here's a link to Peter's different kits with specs:

http://users.tpg.com.au/adsle4l5/petercrissdrums/

Now I know why I dig the snare sound on Shock Me, Alive 2 and songs from the studio side of Alive 2--I knew it was a 10x14, but I didn't know it had 8 LUGS. THAT'S the reason I like 8 lug snares more than the usual 10, because it just has a slightly more open tone.
I'm after a Dunnett Classic 2N Stainless Steel snare ATM... getting close :-)
Old 03-13-2014, 08:15 PM

Great site, brought back a lot of good memories, thanks for posting.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:03 PM

I also grew up wanting to play like Peter Criss. There are way more "technically proficient" drummers out there, but his work on Alive! was full of feeling- just great rock drumming with a bit of swing underneath it.

I have read that a lot of Alive! was "fixed" in the studio, as all live albums are, but the drum tracks are pretty much live.

Too bad he had to be replaced on later albums due to his substance abuse and attitude.

I have some early videos of the band and his playing was very good- later on not so much.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:13 PM

Peter lives in the same small NJ suburb as me. I used to see him at the local deli and he was always nice. As a kid, we'd go trick-or-treating at his house and he'd give out autographs instead of candy haha KISS rules!
Old 07-22-2014, 11:13 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe2112 View Post
Peter lives in the same small NJ suburb as me. I used to see him at the local deli and he was always nice. As a kid, we'd go trick-or-treating at his house and he'd give out autographs instead of candy haha KISS rules!
Did he dress up as the Catman?