DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 03-10-2008, 08:25 PM

Default Bass drum reso hole necessary?

Suppose you have a bass that has a hole in the shell (for a tom mount that you don't use). Would that hole act like a hole in the reso head? Would there be a significant difference between using a full reso or a reso with a hole?

If this topic has been addressed before, please point me to the thread (I couldn't find one). Also, sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Thanks!
Old 03-10-2008, 08:36 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Bass drum reso hole necessary?

A hole in the shell of a bass drum has very little effect on the drum's sound and feel, and it really isn't at all comparable to a hole in the resonant head. A drum with a hole in its shell is going to be pretty much as resonant and bouncy as a drum with no holes whatsoever.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member

Most people have a hole(s) in their reso. head for one of 4 reasons. a). So they can put a mic inside their kick. b). So they can adjust the towels/laundry they have in their kick. c). To port enough air so their beater stops bouncing on the batter head. d). To look cool. If your tom holder hole is sufficient in providing you with any, or all of the above, or you do not need these pleasures in your life, then you are not alone, for millions of drummers before you have walked the path of the non-ported reso. head.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
Most people have a hole(s) in their reso. head for one of 4 reasons. a). So they can put a mic inside their kick. b). So they can adjust the towels/laundry they have in their kick. c). To port enough air so their beater stops bouncing on the batter head. d). To look cool. If your tom holder hole is sufficient in providing you with any, or all of the above, or you do not need these pleasures in your life, then you are not alone, for millions of drummers before you have walked the path of the non-ported reso. head.
There's yet another reason: To get ride of the "Piiiiing" sound that might happen if you drum is sealed too tightly. I converted my air vent hole into an internal mic plug, making the drum airtight. I cut four small holes in the reso head, and glued small pieces of black foam behind the holes, so as to make them nearly invisible. Otherwise, I don't stick laundry inside the drum, or have a big hole, as that interferes with the extra resonance I like.

Sable, if you aren't using your tom mount, you may consider removing the mount hardware from the shell and rolling the drum over, so the hole is on the bottom. Then you'd have a virgin bass drum look with good ventilation. Depending on the type of mic and the size of the hole, you might even be able to stick a floor-mounted bass drum mic up into that tom hole. Then you'd also be able to have a virgin bass drum head.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
A hole in the shell of a bass drum has very little effect on the drum's sound and feel, and it really isn't at all comparable to a hole in the resonant head. A drum with a hole in its shell is going to be pretty much as resonant and bouncy as a drum with no holes whatsoever.
you're right wavelength but every hole you put in a drum shell Will effect the resonant of the shell why do you think there are so many rim mounts for toms and virgin bass drums nowadays any drum manufacturer will tell you this.

Bonzolead
Old 03-10-2008, 10:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzolead View Post
why do you think there are so many rim mounts for toms and virgin bass drums nowadays any drum manufacturer will tell you this.
Rim mounts allow the drum vibrate more freely, since the mount isn't attached directly onto the shell. Not mounting the tom-toms on the bass drum relieves stress from the drum's shell, giving the drum a lower fundamental pitch. A hole in a drum's shell acts as an air vent, but it doesn't have a big impact on a drum's resonance.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
Rim mounts allow the drum vibrate more freely, since the mount isn't attached directly onto the shell. Not mounting the tom-toms on the bass drum relieves stress from the drum's shell, giving the drum a lower fundamental pitch. A hole in a drum's shell acts as an air vent, but it doesn't have a big impact on a drum's resonance.
I think a lot of that has a lot to do with the size of the hole relative to the size of the drum. These snares with huge vent holes probably sacrifice some response, since not as much air is moving to excite the reso head.

The hole in the side of your bass shell isn't all that big compared to the overall size of the drum (and it looks hell of cool). I've heard your set and your bass drum sounds sweet, so obviously the hole you have in your bass shell ain't hurting it any. In fact, I think failing to vent a large drum enough could choke off the lower tones (but I'm not an authority on that, just a feeling) and that a correctly-sized hole could actually enhance low-frequency production.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Sable, if you aren't using your tom mount, you may consider removing the mount hardware from the shell and rolling the drum over, so the hole is on the bottom. Then you'd have a virgin bass drum look with good ventilation. Depending on the type of mic and the size of the hole, you might even be able to stick a floor-mounted bass drum mic up into that tom hole. Then you'd also be able to have a virgin bass drum head.
That's so simple, yet brilliant! I think I'll turn the drum over, just so that dust doesn't collect inside. I don't care much for looks or even sound - it's a crappy practice set (Pacific Chameleon - I know, I know. It's all I could afford in college). It was just a question that randomly occurred to me.

Anyway, thanks for the replies!
Old 03-11-2008, 07:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sable View Post
That's so simple, yet brilliant! I think I'll turn the drum over, just so that dust doesn't collect inside. I don't care much for looks or even sound - it's a crappy practice set (Pacific Chameleon - I know, I know. It's all I could afford in college). It was just a question that randomly occurred to me.

Anyway, thanks for the replies!
Glad to help. The only hitch could be the bass drum spurs. You would have to remove and relocate them. There are threads here about ways to cover up holes like this. Since these aren't great drums, you could glue a small circle of cardboard to the inside of the shell for each spur bolt hole, cut a slice of dowel rod to fit the hole, glue the dowel plug in place with wood grains aligned, then sand and stain to match.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post

I like this idea.. never though of that before,

but in regards to the hole, its all up to you and your preferences i would say. I have a 4" hole but thats because i needed it for mic purposes.

But if you dont need it dont worry about it.