DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 03-04-2008, 08:58 PM

Default DW 5000 Accelerator or Turbo?

I'm planing to buy a single dw5000 delta but I don't know if I'm going for an accelerator or a turbo. Any advice?
Old 03-08-2008, 09:44 AM

Default Re: DW 5000 Accelerator or Turbo?

Hey Willem,

Basically the only difference between the two pedals is the Cam design. The Accelerator has an offset cam and the Turbo has a round (or "regular") cam. I assumed you knew this but included it just in case.

Really, the choice is a matter of personal preference. If possible, go to a local shop and try them both out to see which feels better for YOU. That's the best advice I believe you can get on the subject.

If you aren't able to try them out locally/conveniently then I would suggest two different options:
DW 9000
Pearl P2000 Powershifter Eliminator

The DW 9000 has an "Infinite Adjustable Cam" that you can set which ever way you like best (from "turbo-like" to "accelerator-like" and anywhere in between). It has some other upgrades from the 5000 as well.....and yes, it will cost you more.

The Pearl P2000 has an Interchangeable Cam System and comes with 4 different cams (1 round/regular, 1 larger round, 1 offset, 1 radically offset) that can be swapped in and out at the push of a button. There are also 2 other cams that can be purchased separately in addition to the above 4 if you like, for a total of 6 different options. Pearl claims it's the most adjustable pedal in the world as there are MANY other features included. This will cost you the same or less than the DW 5000 and definitely less than the DW 9000.

Both pedals are available in either dual-chain drive, or strap/belt drive depending on which you play. The DW includes both options with one pedal. The Pearl denotes the two as P2000C (chain), and P2000B (Belt) models.

I highly recommend checking out these websites before making your purchase because your kick pedal is one of the most important pieces of a drum kit:
http://www.dwdrums.com/pedals/9000Pedals.htm
http://www.pearldrums.com/p2000-2-bc.htm
Just the other day, there was a thread on this forum comparing the DW 5000 with the Pearl P2000 which had some good info as well.

I've never played a DW pedal but I hear a lot of great things about them. I used to own the Pearl P2000C and I absolutely loved it. I just sold it the other day because I acquired a Yamaha double-pedal (came with a kit I just bought). With the Pearl, I used the Blue offset cam and liked it better than my current double-pedal. This may just be me getting used to different hardware so I will give it some time and if I still don't like it as much then I will trade it for something different (quite possibly the double-pedal version of the Pearl). If I do change pedals though, I will make the 2 hour drive to visit a store that carries ALL the pedals mentioned above and a few other top pedal models and brands too.

Best of luck,

- Mike
Old 03-08-2008, 03:44 PM

I have an old Turbo, which I have played for 10 years, and a new Accelerator. After adjusting to the different feel, I like the Accelerator better - it lets me play faster patterns. Once I played it a few times and went back to the Turbo, I just couldn't quite play with the quick ... flutter of the pedal on the Turbo that I can on the Accekerator. Not a HUGE difference, but it's there. Try 'em out if you can.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:19 AM

Thanks for your replies, guys. I finally bought the dw9000. I've been playing a Ludwig Speedking (reissue) for some years and with the dw9000, I don't have the feeling that I've bought a new pedal, but a new foot! This pedal is awesome!!
Old 03-10-2008, 09:18 AM

Hi Willem,
Congrats on the new pedals!! Glad to hear you're lovin'em!!
Just out of curiousity, did you set the cam more on the "Accelerator" side, or more on the "Turbo" side?
Old 03-10-2008, 11:48 AM

I have it from a few days so I did not explore all the adjustements yet. The pedal is set in between but more on the turbo side. It feels great!