DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 03-05-2008, 04:58 AM

Default DW5000 problem

I'm having some problems with my dw5000 double pedal. First of all when I hit my bass drum, instead of being one solid hit, there is a little double bounce that occurs. It's really a pain cause I can't get the sound I want. My head isn't tight at all and I've tried adjusting the head tension but nothing works. Also I feel the dw5000 sort of lags with my feet and I can't get the speed and feel I want. I've tried adjusting the spring tension but nothing has worked. I am considering buying Iron Cobras but I'm still not sure. Any suggestions?
Old 03-05-2008, 05:56 AM

Default Re: DW5000 problem

First of all, how long have you been playing? This unintentional double, or buzz is very common with beginners. I assume you're burying the beater? It's most likely a matter of control, and not the pedal itself. Just keep practicing. If it keeps persisting, try adjusting your technique to allow beater come off the head. I think this thread belongs in the technique forum.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanL View Post
I'm having some problems with my dw5000 double pedal. First of all when I hit my bass drum, instead of being one solid hit, there is a little double bounce that occurs.
The DW plastic/felt combo. beater seems to create a bit of a problem for some. I like the a big, old school, all hard felt round beater (like what came stock on my Yamaha Flying Dragons). Then again, depending on the pedal you were using prior, you may just not be "adjusted" to a much better pedal. If you're trying to "bury the beater", you might lack the ankle strength to do that just yet.
Quote:
It's really a pain cause I can't get the sound I want.
Sound correlates to head type, beater type, tunning, flam patch or not, age of head, etc. Not so much "my DW5000 doesn't sound good".
Quote:
My head isn't tight at all and I've tried adjusting the head tension but nothing works. Also I feel the dw5000 sort of lags with my feet and I can't get the speed and feel I want.
Certainly a head that's "not tight" would prohibit speed, and affect feel, but to loose a head shouldn't be prone to "bounceback". Saying "nothing works" as far as head tension goes might indicate your BD head is in need of replacing. A "worn out" head, regardless of new pedal, beater, etc. is still a "worn out head".
Quote:
I am considering buying Iron Cobras but I'm still not sure.
Indeed, the IC might be a better pedal for you.
Quote:
Any suggestions?
If you have a drummer buddy, have him look at and play your pedal, and you do the same. Sometimes 2 heads are better than one.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:54 PM
Platinum Member

I've used an old single chain DW5k for around ten years. I love it. My band mate thinks it sucks, cuz it is pretty beat up- but to me it's like an old pair of shoes. :)

There isn't much adjusting that can be done on the 5k. I don't have the double hit problem you mention. Have you tried a weight on the shaft of the beater? I also mainly use hard felt beaters, but I do have a custom walnut beater that was made for me that is just great- nice bright attack without being clicky, yet retaining a bit of the warmth that hard felt has.

I did just get an Iron Cobra though, and so far I like the feel. I haven't played it enough to say whether I like it better than my old 5k or not. I haven't really adjusted anything on the IC yet. I plan on doing that today. I'll let ya know though. The IC has two hard felt beaters which are OK, but I really want a pair of matching wood beaters. I really love that sound.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:15 PM
Platinum Member

I'm having some problems with my dw5000 double pedal. First of all when I hit my bass drum, instead of being one solid hit, there is a little double bounce that occurs. It's really a pain cause I can't get the sound I want. My head isn't tight at all and I've tried adjusting the head tension but nothing works. Also I feel the dw5000 sort of lags with my feet and I can't get the speed and feel I want. I've tried adjusting the spring tension but nothing has worked. I am considering buying Iron Cobras but I'm still not sure. Any suggestions?

Try messing with your beater height and the height of your stool.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:52 PM

One other thing to look at is the reso head, is it solid or do you have a hole in it? Sometimes, putting a small (no larger than 4"), mic hole will help alleviate or at least minimize beater bounce.

Peace!