DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 03-06-2008, 05:50 AM
Platinum Member

Default guitarest issue...

hey, got a question to shoot at you guys!

my band is wanting to get serious and all...but our supposedly lead singer is just a punk singer. like favorite band is Greenday and he lives by it. he is an ok guitar player for say a Greenday cover band. but we are wanting to play everthing from soft rock to metal.
we have all of our parts covered. 2 guitarests, bass, drums. our other lead singer(who we want to keep) plays rhythm guitar, lead guitar, bass, and drums.
but the only thing is, the kid that plays punk is one of my long friends. he is fun to jam with, but not to get serious with. i know the best thing is to be truthful. but i just cant bring myself to it. any advice..thanks!

Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 03-06-2008, 07:01 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: guitarest issue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojangleman View Post
hey, got a question to shoot at you guys!

my band is wanting to get serious and all...but our supposedly lead singer is just a punk singer. like favorite band is Greenday and he lives by it. he is an ok guitar player for say a Greenday cover band. but we are wanting to play everthing from soft rock to metal.
we have all of our parts covered. 2 guitarests, bass, drums. our other lead singer(who we want to keep) plays rhythm guitar, lead guitar, bass, and drums.
but the only thing is, the kid that plays punk is one of my long friends. he is fun to jam with, but not to get serious with. i know the best thing is to be truthful. but i just cant bring myself to it. any advice..thanks!

Alex
My advice.....If you want to be serious about it but he isn't...then...do I really need to tell you the right answer? Kick him out, he will hold you back.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:28 AM
millerdakiller

The best way to make a chain strongeer is to remove the weakest link
Old 03-06-2008, 06:25 PM
Gold Member

The best way to look at any band problem is like this.

"Am i being as professional as i could be?" Even if you have to kick someone out who is your best friend, so that you could be happy playing music. You should. If he is also asking him self the question "Am i being as professional as i could be?" -As he should be- Then he would understand that you guys need someone else, or you need him to improve.

Hopefuly it works out for you.

Godbless,
-Corbett

Myspace-Add me!
Old 03-06-2008, 06:37 PM
Pioneer Member

Take it from me, I have wasted too much of my time in bands where a member was not working out, it will only get worse.

A band has to be able to play with conviction in its music and if not everybody is totally relaxed and at ease with each other it causes more harm than good. You have to be able to not worry about egos and the like getting in the way of you being honest, and honesty is always the best thing when it comes to someone you do not get on with musically.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:32 AM
millerdakiller

as a side note, this is why i don't start bands with my friends anymore. I don't have any gripes about booting a guitarist, its the booting of a friend that sucks.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:10 AM
Platinum Member

well, see it started as a lil project. we got a chance to play at our valentine's banquet at our church and we like...heck yes..haha...it never happened tho., but we still get together and are working harder. since then, the other singer and guitarests have been added...and its not working..soo, we'll have to talk to him i guess..thanks!

Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY