DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 02-13-2008, 11:14 PM

Default Hole vs. no hole on bass head

I've recently opted to have a hole-less coated ambassador on my resonant head, same as the batter side. I dig the sound, and find it responsive and resonant at low volumes. I just did a tour and got feedback from a few soundguys that they really don't like it. I'm not one to believe everything a soundguy says, but still I want to investigate. I'm curious what the best way to get a good amount of attack out of a drum set up that way would be, or if changing the setup would be ideal.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:25 PM
fourstringdrums

Default Re: Hole vs. no hole on bass head

Sound guys usually hate a solid bass drum head because they want to be able to just stick a mic in the drum and be done with it. Having a solid head causes them to have to do a little more work.

Personally, I say to have both a solid and head with a hole on hand. Keep the solid head on because that's what you like, but if you have a sound guy who really hates it, swap out for the hole.

Basically if you decide to just go with a hole you want to go as small as possible while still being big enough to let a mic fit through. Typically that is about 4-5" You don't want to go much larger than a 5" because at that point, while the 5" hole will cause the head to resonate less than a solid head, the 6" will be pushing to a point where the bass drum will lose all resonance and sound like a single headed bass drum. So I would stick to either 4 or 5" and you can either buy a template and cut it out (always placing the hole as close to the edge of the head as possible). You can also heat up a coffee can, open side down, on a stove, for a few minutes and then press it to the head to melt the hole where you want it. This is a method favored by a lot of people because it's less messy, harder to screw up, and it's easy.

With a hole you'll lose some resonance, but you can sometimes gain it back a bit by tensioning the head a little higher. You will also increase the attack which you may actually like.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:43 AM
Administrator

Try this multi-paged thread.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=6470
Old 02-14-2008, 03:24 AM

I am more of a sound guy first and I putts around on the drums on the side.

Here's where I stand on the hole vs no hole issue.

To me its all about the style of music you're playing and wether your kick drum sounds right for that style.

if you are playing jazz, swing, early rock n roll then its appropriate to have no hole in the kick. If you play metal with no hole, I think its appropriate for that style of music to have a hole.

Then there are the in between styles where both, with or without a hole may work.
Old 02-14-2008, 03:47 AM
Silver Member

i used a port for years on my reso. i went back to just one felt strip on batter and reso heads and no port. what a GREAT sound. i forgot how good that sounded!!
Yamaha Stands and Pedals
Old 02-14-2008, 09:16 AM
Platinum Member

Sound guys... The inexperienced ones almost always have a meltdown when they can't achieve that "click" sound by shoving a mic inside. The experienced ones, however, will make a resonant kick drum (or any other drum) sound very good. If your kick doesn't have a hole (in the head or in the shell), your best bet is to mic both heads for a good balance of resonance and attack.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:22 PM
Gold Member

I prefer a reso without hole because we mostly play unmiked, and a bass drum that goes "booooom" carries through the band better than one that goes "thud."

That said, we are sometimes miked. After having to head off inexperienced sound guys heading for my kit with a box cutter (I'm not kidding), I now bring along a reso with an offset 4" port. I don't need the aggravation, and it's never a great idea to piss off the guy responsible for how you sound. I also bring a couple of towels that can be rolled up and placed against the reso or batter or both. (Some sound guys don't even blink at a non-ported reso. They tend to mike the batter side, though not always.)

One thing to note, some players don't like a lot of bounce from the batter head, and you definitely get more bounce without the port. Doesn't seem to bother me.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:56 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumtechdad View Post

(Some sound guys don't even blink at a non-ported reso. They tend to mike the batter side, though not always.)

One thing to note, some players don't like a lot of bounce from the batter head, and you definitely get more bounce without the port. Doesn't seem to bother me.
the sound company that has provided production the last few gigs i've done have gotten used to my kick with no port and also mic'd it from the batter side. in fact the last gig i did with these guys the soundman asked "No port in that kick yet?" and i just answered "NOPE".

and i love the bounce from the kick setup like that. nice feel from my side and a great BOOM from the kick itself!!

if a soundman can't get a good sound from a non-ported head then either they aren't trying hard enough or they shouldn't be a soundman.

a soundman telling a drummer not to use a non-ported head is like telling a guitar player that he has to use a stacked Marshall instead of his Twin Reverb because that's the sound he's used to working with.
Yamaha Stands and Pedals
Old 02-24-2008, 03:17 AM
Platinum Member

I think bass drums should never have holes unless you're recording, the sound from a solid head is superior to a ported head...IMO

I think it's time that someone comes out with a port that can be placed on or off without changing the head. Everyone can be happy.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickg View Post
a soundman telling a drummer not to use a non-ported head is like telling a guitar player that he has to use a stacked Marshall instead of his Twin Reverb because that's the sound he's used to working with.
Great statement and sentiment...then reality sets in...

I LOVE the sound & feel of my kick without a port, but since it's a 20X26, if it doesn't have a port (only a 4") the PA sound of the kick is just slightly behind the bass.

The bass player and I are pretty locked in so, I didn't really believe the guy until I watched a show DVD that was recorded in that place.
It wasn't that noticeable, but it was there.

I put the small hole in, and it totally solved the problem, and the kick still sounded & felt great.

It doesn't feel that much different... probably because it's 20" deep...

This latest band has been playing some larger venues, and it just makes everything sound that much tighter with the hole, and since it's only a 4" hole on a 26" head, it's not that big a deal.

I haven't had a sound guy say anything negative about the size of the kick, and usually they come up themselves & say it sounds great (how often does that happen).

At one really big place, the sound guy's were saying "Hey lets use the 52 and the 91".
They were into getting it to sound as cool as they could...which I thought was fantastic of course!!

Kinda different from some years ago where guy's would just say "use a smaller drum blah blah blah".

OMFG, someone coming at my drum with a box knife wouldn't happen.
I can imagine the "conversation" you had with that guy drumtechdad!!
Old 02-25-2008, 11:57 PM
Platinum Member

I just cut a small hole in my kick reso for a recording I did last week. I've been experimenting for years with a solid head, but this allowed me to get a much more impressive sound that previously. I think perhaps if my kit was a better one I'd leave the head solid (I'm playing a Pearl Forum at the moment).