DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 02-23-2008, 04:32 PM
Silver Member

Default Question for the gigging drummer.

Just out of curiousity, how does your band get gigs to play?
My friend's band owns their own venue and they let us play there every so often.
How do you do it?
Old 02-23-2008, 07:19 PM

Default Re: Question for the gigging drummer.

Booking gigs is the worst part of music for me. I do most of the booking for my band, which is a four man (usually) rock and blues band. Dealing with club managers or people having private parties, trying to schedule three months ahead of time, and dealing with bandmates cancelling at the last minute and trying to get subs.... It's only when you get to the gig and are actually playing that it all seems worth it.

HOW to do it? Make connections, be friendly, be persistent, have the whole band act professionally, understand the local market, be persistent, build a following, help the clubs make money, be persistent. Or, you could just hire a manager.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:32 PM
Senior Administrator

we've got an agent. try to film your band playing a gig, put together a decent bio with pictures, do a few free gigs, make friends with other bands (piggybacking and getting agent's names). if you're good work will come. also always have cards on you. i find i'm handing out business cards at the oddest occasions.today i was dealing with a personal banker. he asked what i do and when i told him he suddenly brightened up and by the end he had our band's card and was talking about giving the card to his cousin who is getting married in november and would be looking for a band. He and she will be coming to our richmond gig tonight and once they see us i know they willbe booking us.

j

http://youtu.be/fBQeCcBVUCw
Old 02-23-2008, 09:01 PM
Platinum Member

I was the manager in my last band. It is a lot of work but here is what I did:

First thing I did was set up a Yahoo email account the all band members have access to.

The reason for this is to use a central calender. Every body in the band would enter days they were not available. This allowed me to book gigs without having to check with the rest of the band every time. It also gave me a place to put the booked gigs, how much hey paid, address times etc.. A central location for all band scheduling. It worked very well.

Next I built a promo pkg. Band picture, band bio, song list (we did covers so the song list was important) and a CD.

I then got addresses for all of the clubs I could find in the radius of how far we all agreed we would be willing to drive I mailed out a boat load of promo pkgs.

Then the hardest part. The follow-up. I called all these clubs. I found club owners are flakier then musicians. They are hard to track down, many say " I never got it" so I would hand deliver or next day with a signature another one. It is a lot of work but we ended up gigging as much or more then we wanted.

A final thought, If you are not good with people and not a salesman. this is not a job for you.
It takes a lot of time and sales skills if you are going to get anywhere.
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 02-24-2008, 12:19 AM

OK well we messaged a few promoters through myspace asking about arranging gigs in our area, and they kind of did it for us, got us gigs at good venues in our area. It was kind of easy :/
Old 02-24-2008, 05:35 AM
Pioneer Member

The best way to get gigs is to network with other gigging bands. Every band that I've been in would buddy up with a few "brother bands". At first, we would get on their gigs. After a while, we'd start getting our own gigs and have them open up for us. Everybody wins.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:45 AM
Silver Member

I look for a good place on the street...

park my car...

grab gear...

and play.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:19 PM
Silver Member

Dharma Bum is absolutely right, it takes a LOT of persistence. I know a lot of musicians who used to lead bands and do their own booking but they got so tired of it that they only play freelance on other people's gigs now.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:55 PM
Pioneer Member

My band has a manager who gets a lot of gigs for us just through messaging venues and promoters, and we have an agent who books us a lot of gigs and some of the best venues in the city.