DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 12-17-2007, 05:41 PM

Default what are some good hi hat stands?

i'm looking to not spend tons of cash but get a solid hi hat stand. i'd like something on the lighter side, but not all around light duty...

what are some good ones? yamaha? how about this Pearl H-855 someone's selling for $70?
http://www.gatewaydrumline.com/hotit...img/h855_l.jpg

Last edited by lovemysonors; 12-17-2007 at 07:14 PM.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:13 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: what are some good hi hat stands?

The pearl one looks good, I have no experience with it, though. Yamaha's single-braced hi-hat stand is good, I have used it. I don't know the price though.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:26 PM
Administrator

I just bought a Tama Road Pro and it suits me fine, heavy duty, adjusts well, has swivel three leg base and a tension adjustment. Price was about 80.00 if I remember correctly.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:33 PM
Platinum Member

I play a Yamaha medium weight stand that I scored used of eBay. It would fall into the 700 series. The Pearl you linked to is very similar. Should serve you well. If you play double bass or double pedal, you might want to make sure the tripod swings clockwise and counter-clockwise, to facilitate extra action on the floor. Some research will show you 2-legged stands in Y and T configurations, and they used to (and maybe still do) make legless stands also. I have an old Tama legless that I use in really tight situations.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:37 AM
Platinum Member

I have a mid-'80s double-braced Tama stand, used a lot but well cared for. It was made in the old days, with cast aluminum parts, so it is exceptionally sturdy but it has all the adjustment points you'd find on a modern stand. I'd sell it to you for a decent price - PM me and I can send you photos and a description if you're interested.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:17 PM
Silver Member

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...and?sku=440186

that thing..is awesome. Fast response, and its only two legs!
Old 01-03-2008, 11:37 AM

The Yamaha hi-hat stands are quite good. And Pearl too... And Tama... The idea is to use a high-end series of hardware rather than a particular brand, because all of them have exceptional hardware if you're ready to spend a lot of money.

I once played a Remo hi-hat stand from the early 90's era which felt absolutely tremendous... The heaviest, most rock-solid hi-hat stand I've seen so far.

However, if you say you'll pay tons of money, probably a DW 9000 would seem like your best choice from my point of view, because not only is it extremely smooth, but it's got some unique adjustments.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:16 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrummer132 View Post
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...and?sku=440186

that thing..is awesome. Fast response, and its only two legs!
I have an IC strap and I love it...my number one HH. Also have a two leg 5000 that is pretty nice, and I like the fact it has two lenghts of pull rod.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:05 AM

I'd have to agree with Gruntersdad on this one. The Tama HH75W RoadPro is definitely the best HH stand you can get for the money - It's very reasonably priced at under $100 brand spankin.
If you're playing any gigs it has this GREAT feature where you can remove the rod and screw it back into the stand upside-down so that it's protected by the metal tubing instead of sticking out of the top like it would normally. This will prevent it from getting bent during set-up/tear-down and travelling. To my knowledge, Tama is the only company offering this feature. I believe it's available on the RoadPro and Iron Cobra models, but the RoadPro is much easier on the wallet. It has other great features as well, but that one is quite unique
from other brands and very functional in my opinion.
My kit came with a Yamaha HS1000 (2nd best in their models and more $$ than the RoadPro) and I'm considering buying the Tama at the very least for gigging purposes.
Good luck!!
Old 02-24-2008, 03:10 AM
Silver Member

any drummer can get by using even an entry level kit from the major companies as they all make good kits. you can use less expensive cymbals also from the major companies that are still good. you can get by using "seconds" from the drumstick display if needed. you can also get by using a less expensive drum head line. now i said you "COULD". that doesn't mean your "should".

but you really CANNOT get by using cheap crappy hardware, ESPECIALLY hi hat stands and kick pedals.

once again, all of the major companies make great hardware that you can get without breaking the bank. buy the BEST you can afford even if you do have to spend a little more than you expected or wanted to spend. you'll be happier for it.

nothing worse than having a cheap-ass hi hat or pedal go bye-bye on you in the middle of a gig.
Yamaha Stands and Pedals