DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 01-29-2008, 06:56 AM

Default Custom Snare Drum

Hey Guys
Just got a new custom stave snare drum back in December. It is a 14" x 5" solid Walnut Drum with a Maple Inlay. It is a TP Drum made in Morgan Hill, CA. Todd Plummer is a master woodworker and I cannot believe the things he has done with wood. Check out his website: www.toddcreatedwood.com www.tpdrums.com . If you go to the drum website, he will tell you all about the benefits of staved drums versus plywood and steambent shells.
I love this drum! It sounds amazing. Wherever I bring it, I get compliments and questions about the drum. I wish you guys could here it.

I took the pictures with my camera phone so they are not the best quality.

I'm getting my whole kit re-edged this coming week. So Todd and I will take better pictures and I'll post them up here.

Did I mention it took 2 weeks to get my drum from time of order to receiving it. The drum got a little wet when it was delivered but the water beaded up on the drum and Todd mentioned to me that the finish on the drum is water proof.
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2008, 07:17 AM

Default Re: Custom Snare Drum

WOW, that snare drum, well is impressive. I'm really diggin the central stripe on it and the hardware looks fist rate. I checked out the prices for his snares and they seem very reasonable for the workmanship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwentyEightyFive View Post
I wish you guys could here it.
We (or at least I) wish I could too. Any way for you to record it and post it?

Last edited by cavica; 01-29-2008 at 07:23 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-29-2008, 07:19 AM
Silver Member

Damn, that's nice. The chunky tube lugs work very well with the die-cast hoops too. I bet it sounds killer.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:22 AM
Silver Member

WOW! Really nice!

Can someone tell me what a "stave" drum, or shell is? And what the difference is between that and other methods of making wood drums?
Old 01-29-2008, 08:32 AM
Mediocrefunkybeat

A Stave shell consists of a series of vertical strips of wood (usually a few inches across) with angled edges that are glued to each other in order to create a shell, this results in a much higher wood-to-glue percentage than a Ply drum. They're usually lathed to give the appearance of a round shell, but some manufacturers (notably Tamburo) sometimes forego the lathing process, with interesting results.

Steam-bent Solid Shells are just that, a single piece of wood which is bent into the round using steam and then glued on one end as a seam. Then of course there are 'true' Solid Shells which literally consist of a single piece of wood which has been hollowed out from a tree trunk.

Come to think of it, Steam-Bent Shells and Stave Shells aren't significantly harder to mass-manufacture than Ply drums; but Ply drums are prominent in the market. My theory is the weight being at least a major factor in this dominance. Stave and Solid drums are rather heavy compared to their Ply counterparts.

Back onto topic, that is a really lovely snare. It's simple but the streak of Maple gives it a really good touch of class and luxury. I'd be interested in hearing how it sounds; if it sounds anything like it looks, then I'll definitely be impressed.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:47 PM

Hey man, I love that drum. Funny coincidence, I saw several of those snares at Lemmon Percussion in San Jose. I'm originally from Morgan Hill. There were probably 4 or 5 of his in the drum shop I went to, and they all sounded AMAZING. You know, like when you hit it and you say "Ohhh, so THAT'S what a snare is supposed to sound like..."

Just out of curiosity, where are you from?
Old 01-29-2008, 07:09 PM
Silver Member

What a snare! I love it. I will most certain check out his website!

Endorsements are hard to come by. Anyone???? :p
Old 01-29-2008, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
A Stave shell consists of a series of vertical strips of wood (usually a few inches across) with angled edges that are glued to each other in order to create a shell, this results in a much higher wood-to-glue percentage than a Ply drum. They're usually lathed to give the appearance of a round shell, but some manufacturers (notably Tamburo) sometimes forego the lathing process, with interesting results.

Steam-bent Solid Shells are just that, a single piece of wood which is bent into the round using steam and then glued on one end as a seam. Then of course there are 'true' Solid Shells which literally consist of a single piece of wood which has been hollowed out from a tree trunk.

Come to think of it, Steam-Bent Shells and Stave Shells aren't significantly harder to mass-manufacture than Ply drums; but Ply drums are prominent in the market. My theory is the weight being at least a major factor in this dominance. Stave and Solid drums are rather heavy compared to their Ply counterparts.

Back onto topic, that is a really lovely snare. It's simple but the streak of Maple gives it a really good touch of class and luxury. I'd be interested in hearing how it sounds; if it sounds anything like it looks, then I'll definitely be impressed.
Right on MFB...think of a barrel when you think of a stave drum.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojangleman View Post
thats a very very pretty snare! looks like he does good work. what kind of kit do you have?
oh ya, welcome to the forums!

Alex
QUOTE=tizzdizz;404763]Hey man, I love that drum. Funny coincidence, I saw several of those snares at Lemmon Percussion in San Jose. I'm originally from Morgan Hill. There were probably 4 or 5 of his in the drum shop I went to, and they all sounded AMAZING. You know, like when you hit it and you say "Ohhh, so THAT'S what a snare is supposed to sound like..."

Just out of curiosity, where are you from?[/quote]

Hey Guys thanks for the welcome and comments.

I have a Tama Superstar Custom EFX Vintage Nickel Sparkle. I got it from a shop where Mike Portnoy had a clinic and apparently he used part of my kit with a gold starclassic kit in order to recreate his massive kits. The cool thing about the kit is that i am getting the edges recut on every drum in order to give it a unique and amazing sound. I'll post picks of the kit as soon as that happens. Should happen later this week.

Tizzdizz, I go to Lemmon all the time. It such a great shop and the guys really know their stuff. They have a store on ebay if anyone is interested. http://stores.ebay.com/Lemmon-Percussion
Someone mentioned recording the drum. I should be posting a video or recording of me playing under the forum of showing your talents or whatever.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:49 PM
KARL MEMBER

Beautiful beautiful snare drum! Ive never had the chance to play a stave, steambent, segment or solid drum yet...but it`s on my list what to try next time. Just have to find some. I think Remo makes a stave snare drum, too...
However, this one is simply beautiful and it must have a great tone, warm and dark.

I checked Todd`s website and I didn`t wonder when I saw a 8x14" for $950.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Yes, I always think of those old oak wine barrels when thinking of stave drums. Though I don`t even like wine. :-D

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:32 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
ahhhh.. good image! :)
Old 02-01-2008, 04:57 AM

Speaking of a barrel...

This is a wine barrel that Todd worked on. He took it apart, cleaned it, glued it back together, and then cut the edges.

It is hands down the best bass drum i have ever heard. It was up against a display window at Lemmon Percussion and almost broke the window from the sheer volume and power it has.
Attached Images

Last edited by TwentyEightyFive; 02-01-2008 at 04:59 AM. Reason: misuse of grammer
Old 02-01-2008, 05:34 PM
KARL MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwentyEightyFive View Post
Speaking of a barrel...

This is a wine barrel that Todd worked on. He took it apart, cleaned it, glued it back together, and then cut the edges.

It is hands down the best bass drum i have ever heard. It was up against a display window at Lemmon Percussion and almost broke the window from the sheer volume and power it has.
Haha, that`s so awesome!
Is it made from oak, what size? I guess it doesn`t differ from regular stave bass drums...or does it has more room to develop a tone?

Classy looking.

Cheers! =)

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer Karl View Post
Haha, that`s so awesome!
Is it made from oak, what size? I guess it doesn`t differ from regular stave bass drums...or does it has more room to develop a tone?

Classy looking.

Cheers! =)

Karl
I'm not sure what wood it's made out of. I haven't tried a stave bass, but the construction is the same for a stave bass. The shape of the wine barrel has more air than any other bass drum so it has more room to punch. I'll try to get a recording of all these drums I'm talking about soon.