DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 02-12-2008, 11:22 AM

Default Vater Slick Nuts

Hey all. I've just been looking around at drum stuff (as im sure we all do when we're not doing anything else :p ) and I came across these guys; the Vater Slick Nuts.

I've used similar things before but never found anything really good enough for what I was after, but these seem perfect. Essentially they perform the role of the felts and nut above the cymbal. I believe from what it says here http://www.vater.com/newproducts/product.cfm?M=213
that they basically clip onto the thread of the cymbal stand and hold it in place. They simply seem to just be a quick way of setting up cymbals, ideal for band practice e.t.c and they dont seem overly expnesive for what they are.

Just wondering, has anyone used these before, and if so how are they?
Also has anyone else used anything similar, and if so what and how were they?

Adam x

- Kit! -

Last edited by darknessdude16; 02-12-2008 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Added a few bits
Old 02-12-2008, 11:31 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Vater Slick Nuts

I don't use wing nuts or top felts, as I'm not angling the cymbals so steeply they need it to stay on the stand, and I've NEVER had a cymbal look even remotely like thinking about considering making a move towards falling off the stand.
The only thing I'd consider them for is if you leave your cymbals on a kit in a relatively public place (ie. on stage at a pub, etc) because you can sort of 'lock' them on with an allen key, making it harder for people to steal your bronze.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:26 PM
Platinum Member

I use six of them and I love them. They are fast to take off and on and you never drop washers, felts or wing nuts. You need to adjust the Allen bolt a little bit - if it is too loose the Slicknut will wobble loose and if it's too tight you can't get the Slicknut off (this is the security feature). In all, a great product and I think they look better than washers and felts.

Now, if only someone invented something like that for a hihat clutch!
Old 02-12-2008, 06:33 PM
Platinum Member

Sounds like a cool product would like too try them.

Bonzolead
Old 02-12-2008, 09:09 PM

They're all I use anymore; just press the button, slide the nut off, remove cymbal, replace nut. They never spin off and roll under the kit- I've sworn off wing-nuts forever.
Slicknuts are great
Old 02-15-2008, 06:29 PM

Well...I ordered one the other day from http://www.idrums.co.uk (they are a great website, but thats another story for another thread!) and it came the 2 days later. As usual with parcels I ripped it open and put it straight on my ride and it is great, it'll take time loads of time off set-up and set-down at practice, I recommend x

- Kit! -
Old 02-15-2008, 09:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darknessdude16 View Post
Well...I ordered one the other day from http://www.idrums.co.uk (they are a great website, but thats another story for another thread!) and it came the 2 days later. As usual with parcels I ripped it open and put it straight on my ride and it is great, it'll take time loads of time off set-up and set-down at practice, I recommend x
Not only does it save time, but you have fewer items to hold, drop, lose and replace. Slicknuts are one of the greatest drum gadgets ever and I, like Xush, use a fair number of drum gadgets.

I spoke with one of the people at their U.S. factory a while back and he said they are working on pimping up their line with skulls, dice, etc. Same exact functionality but just different plastic molding. Matching ironwood Slicknuts would be great but I don't think anyone could/would make them for me.