DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 04-11-2006, 06:17 AM

Default Re: Gregg Bissonette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekim
"Hot Dog & A Shake" from DLR's "Skyscraper" album is a fun one to play along with too.
"Bottom Line" off that album is also fun w/the extra long tom roll from floor to high tom.
Also the intro is cool.

Mikey B
IM me on MSN @ mikeybbdrummin@hotmail.com
OR Email me @ mikeybbdrummin@yahoo.com
Old 04-11-2006, 06:50 AM

I wanted to let you guys know that Gregg's brother Matt is a buddy of mine. Last week I played on a session with Matt on bass. I have met Gregg and his father and mother also. The entire family are down to earth amazingly nice people. I am planning on taking a few lessons with Gregg soon. His playing is clean. Very controlled and in the pocket with unlimted versatility. As far as his brother Matt, working with him as a bass player reenergised my desire to work at my chops. The father is a gifted musician and is directly responsible for lighting the ignition under his son's formitable talent. Both Matt and Gregg are to be admired for their ability to create such sustained careers in music. Gregg has said that his brother is his best friend and when they play together as members of Ringo Starr's band it is the fulfillments of many of his childhood dreams. A great family! An underrated drummer for certain.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:50 AM
Pioneer Member

casey, you're very lucky man! I've been into Gregg's stuff so much lately, that's all im listening to now. i like the video for submarine on this site on his page. hell everything there is awesome.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendezvous_drummer
casey, you're very lucky man! I've been into Gregg's stuff so much lately, that's all im listening to now. i like the video for submarine on this site on his page. hell everything there is awesome.
Hey RD,

I have been blessed to work with great players like the Bissonettes. I completely agree! Matt is just as gifted as his brother Gregg. If you get a chance go to Matt's website and listen to his band "The Squirts". Matt and Gregg both are good singers as well. The Squirts are also the players in Rick Springfield's live band which is Matt's current road gig.

http://www.mattbissonette.com/buycds.htm

jc
Old 04-12-2006, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by da cheese walks
yeah man ive heard it....i like it...!haha!but im not so into whitesnake!!(in my opinion theyre a bit...eh i dunno...corny?!!!)but i do love Vai....my guitarist introduced me to Vai about 7 months ago....ive watched "live at the astoria" over 20 times now thorugh and through!!absolutley brilliant!!!

especially Virgil Donatis solo....awww lovely!!!Vai is an incredible guitar player, and hes worked with so many incredible musicians.....!I love pretty much everything hes on!!i mean his stuff with Zappa....!amazing!(Zappa is the greatest!!!!!!)

Sex & Religions a great album....i especially like "Pig" and "Survive"!brilliance!!
Another realy good guitar player Gregg has done alot with is Steve Lukather.
You and your guitar player might check it out.

Mikey B
Old 04-15-2006, 05:38 AM
da cheese walks

man ill check him out....Im pretty sure my guitarists checked him out already tho!!hte guy has an extreme obsession and when were not over here practicing for our next gig, or in teh pub hes on teh internet learning more!!!haha!

you seem to have a pretty good taste in stuff!!haha!who else you into?
Old 04-15-2006, 07:38 AM

Quote:
man ill check him out....Im pretty sure my guitarists checked him out already tho!!hte guy has an extreme obsession and when were not over here practicing for our next gig, or in teh pub hes on teh internet learning more!!!haha!

you seem to have a pretty good taste in stuff!!haha!who else you into?
Another guitarist is Marc Bonilla. Troy Luketta (Tesla late 80's) plays drums on all but one song. They play a really cool song in 9/8, and some different time changes in the other songs. The cd is called E Ticket. I really like his style of playing. And sound.
W/Gregg on drums there is always Satriani and Gary Hoey.
I also like the style and sound of Zack Wilde. From the 80's band White Lion ( maybe cheesy) I realy like the guitar player Vito Bratta. Another 80's guy is Reb Beach (Winger). I saw him do a guitar clinic w/a buddy and I thought he was great.

Mikey B
Old 05-16-2006, 05:56 AM

Hey Guys, I'm new to the forum. But all this talk about gregg made me want to post these pics up. I myself am a big fan of gregg. And about 3 years ago I got a chance to buy a one of a kind kit that gregg used. These are 2 pics of a four pcs of the kit.The kit is a 13 pcs, But I only set these up. They sound massive!! Some of you may have seen it before. He used it on the eat'em and smile tour with david lee roth!!!
Enjoy!! If any of you have myspace please feel free to add me! www.myspace.com/nixlordofillusions

Thank You
DrumDemon
Old 05-17-2006, 05:41 AM

Nice kit. Im a big fan of the kit. You should set the whole thing up and take pictures. My guess is the kit is; 2 bass, 2 suspended gong toms, 1 snare, 6 rack toms and 2 floors. If I remember correctly that was the set up. I have never seen a more original kit than that. You lucky bastard.

Mikey B
Old 05-17-2006, 06:14 AM

Hey Mikey,

Yes you are correct!! It is a very big kit. One day soon I will set it up it would have to be out side there's no way it would fit on my room.

Nix
Old 06-01-2006, 12:31 AM

For those living is the San Fernando valley, Gregg will be playing at Cafe Cordiale with
David Garfield on Wednesday June 28. Approx. 9.00 pm.

Mikey B
Old 09-15-2006, 08:13 AM

Quote:
yeah man ive heard it....i like it...!haha!but im not so into whitesnake!!(in my opinion theyre a bit...eh i dunno...corny?!!!)but i do love Vai....my guitarist introduced me to Vai about 7 months ago....ive watched "live at the astoria" over 20 times now thorugh and through!!absolutley brilliant!!!

especially Virgil Donatis solo....awww lovely!!!Vai is an incredible guitar player, and hes worked with so many incredible musicians.....!I love pretty much everything hes on!!i mean his stuff with Zappa....!amazing!(Zappa is the greatest!!!!!!)

Sex & Religions a great album....i especially like "Pig" and "Survive"!brilliance!!
I just got Vai's "Live in Astoria" dvd. Great playing all around. Steve and Billy go together like peanut butter and jelly. There amazing together.
They played Shyboy and Virgil left out the intro that Gregg did. Dont know why but it was a loose intro anyway, being the first song. But then I dont know if Gregg played it like the original either.

Mikey B
Old 09-16-2006, 04:52 PM
da cheese walks

ahhhh the astoria DVD is wonderous....!!!!!

i love it!!

i especaially like incantation...not for teh solo...just for teh song!!!its incredible!!

shyboy is unreal!!
Old 09-18-2006, 08:46 AM

Quote:
ahhhh the astoria DVD is wonderous....!!!!!

i love it!!

i especaially like incantation...not for teh solo...just for teh song!!!its incredible!!

shyboy is unreal!!
I thought it was great. I had only seen Virgil on this site. He was very good. Not over the top like I expected him to be.

I just picked up a Van Halen/DLR tribute cd. All 80's musicians. Gregg played drums on Hot for teacher, Panama and Dance the night away. The band Enuff znuff played Yankee Rose. Frankie Banali, Eric Singer and Vinnie Coliuta played drums also.
Every body put their own stuff into the songs. It was good though.

Mikey B
Old 10-16-2006, 01:48 PM
Silver Member

I first got into gregg watching 'Bass Extremes Live' video he did with Victor Wooten and Steve Bailey. Go check this video out! IT's awesome!

And I have to say, gregg is becoming one of my fav drummers out there. I'd love to study under him. He knows his stuff and styles. And I have to learn his facial expressions.

BTW, anyone have any specs on greggs kit? I've been looking around to no avail. I love his tom sounds.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3ng
I first got into gregg watching 'Bass Extremes Live' video he did with Victor Wooten and Steve Bailey. Go check this video out! IT's awesome!

And I have to say, gregg is becoming one of my fav drummers out there. I'd love to study under him. He knows his stuff and styles. And I have to learn his facial expressions.

BTW, anyone have any specs on greggs kit? I've been looking around to no avail. I love his tom sounds.
Gregg is my favorite drummer and I was fortunate enough to do drum cartage for him and take lessons in the early 90's.
He uses a 22" kick, (used to be 24" w/his Pearls)10, 12, 14 toms and a 16" floor. He uses coated ambasadors on the toms (clears on bottoms) and a powerstroke3 on the bass. He is now using a coated w/white dot on top head for his snare. Back in the Pearl days he used a coated emperor on the snare. He has always used coated ambasadors on the toms though. Of course they are all Remo.
Keep in mind he plays a top of the line Mapex drum set.
Hope the info helps.
By the way, if you punch his name in Youtube there are a few things that I had never seen before. Either Gregg Bissonette or Bissonette.

Mikey B
Old 11-04-2006, 11:06 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumDemon25
Hey Guys, I'm new to the forum. But all this talk about gregg made me want to post these pics up. I myself am a big fan of gregg. And about 3 years ago I got a chance to buy a one of a kind kit that gregg used. These are 2 pics of a four pcs of the kit.The kit is a 13 pcs, But I only set these up. They sound massive!! Some of you may have seen it before. He used it on the eat'em and smile tour with david lee roth!!!
Enjoy!! If any of you have myspace please feel free to add me! www.myspace.com/nixlordofillusions

Thank You
DrumDemon
That is so cool that you bought this kit!! I remember reading about this kit back in the DLR days. It was designed to look like it survived a nuclear war. I remember wanting that kit so bad, it was a monster. Anyway....good for you for owning that kit.
Greggs DVD is amazing. I was watching it this morning before I had to go to work. It is a must own for any serious player.
Old 11-05-2006, 04:24 PM
mlehnertz

Yamahas? When I saw DLR in concert Bissonette was using Pearls. I could have sworn it was the tour to support "Eat em and Smile". Perhaps it was Skyscraper. Now I'm going to have to search.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlehnertz
Yamahas? When I saw DLR in concert Bissonette was using Pearls. I could have sworn it was the tour to support "Eat em and Smile". Perhaps it was Skyscraper. Now I'm going to have to search.
W/DLR "Eat em and Smile" was Yamahas then "Skyscraper" and "A little aint Enough" was Pearl. Then he had a short stint w/Slingerland and now he has been w/Mapex for almost 10 years.

Mikey B
Old 05-16-2007, 06:21 AM

Those interested in hearing some of Gregg's work other then David Lee Roth or Joe Satriani should check out Guitar 9 Records. He has 4 clips to listen to w/Richie Kotzen from the album "Inter Galactic Fusion Experience". The first clip I can not find where 1 is for the life of me. Very cool stuff. Also w/Mark Motnik's "Bass Invaders". It has a cover of "YYZ". Or Deep Forrest (cd of the same name) is a Yngwesqe guitar duet. And Steve Fister "Shadow king". Instrumental rock.

He has also Jazz orienated work as well. Most can be heard at Amazon.com. Maynard Fergusons "Live from San Fransisco", Brandon Fields "The other side of the Story", Dan Ramsey "Gentle Giants", And David Benoit "Great composers of Jazz". Gregg was the only drummer on each project listed. Also on Bass Extremes (Steve Bailey/Victor Wooten) "Cookbook". There is other projects out there that Gregg has supplied the drums to as well as other drummers on the same project.
Being that Gregg has been my favorite drummer/influence for 20 years, I have always liked turning drummers on to Greggs other, less known work. Also another favorite, Rod Morgenstein, has work available from Guitar 9 Records.

Mikey B

Last edited by mikeybbdrummin; 05-16-2007 at 04:15 PM. Reason: add
Old 06-16-2007, 12:58 AM

Listen to "Shy Boy" from Eat 'Em and Smile
Awesome double bass work and fills.

Another nice groove is on "Big Trouble" Simple to play, but it is a great groove.
I have spoken with people who have met him and concur that he is absolutely humble and nice.
Old 06-16-2007, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashman View Post
Listen to "Shy Boy" from Eat 'Em and Smile
Awesome double bass work and fills.

Another nice groove is on "Big Trouble" Simple to play, but it is a great groove.
I have spoken with people who have met him and concur that he is absolutely humble and nice.
Big trouble is a cool song. Gregg actually showed me how to play the drums for the little drum break he did in the song.
I just picked up a cd called "In the eye of time" By Vox Tempus. Gregg played on the cd. Its very Dream Theateresque. It has some very good songs. Crazy time changes and grooves. I am very familiar w/Greggs work and I have to say this has to be w/out a doubt some of his best work. Specialy that he was a guest drummer and not a band member. Some songs are 7-8 minutes long. He definatly gives Portnoy a run for his money in the Prog Rock catagory.

Mikey B
Old 07-08-2007, 06:53 AM
Pioneer Member

Gregg with Spinal Tap at Live Earth! (And he survives the gig.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXITnXfjUOo
Old 01-27-2008, 08:20 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Gregg Bissonette!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ruggiero View Post
I agree that Greg is a very underrated drummer To be a success with Maynard says it all
I couldn't agree more; except to say that he is also very humble. Check out the Maynard Ferguson "Live from San Francisco" CD. Also, the work with David Lee Roth on the Eat 'em and Smile disc was (and still is) cutting edge - very influential. I reme,ber popping this disc for a cocky young guitar slinger and his bass playing buddy. They didn't think too much of Yankee Roase and were ready to yank the disc when Shyboy came on. Then the reverse scan button got a workout! Great playing on that album, peroid!

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Old 02-14-2008, 04:06 AM

GREG B.

...Sittin' in the Gap for Simon Phillips on a TOTO tour....covering a tune Jeff created.
"Jake to the Bone" is from the 1992 album "Kingdom of Desire" which was Jeff's last
with TOTO.

I LOVE what Greg brings to this tune.

Enjoy!
T
Old 02-14-2008, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretschgal1 View Post
GREG B.

...Sittin' in the Gap for Simon Phillips on a TOTO tour....covering a tune Jeff created.
"Jake to the Bone" is from the 1992 album "Kingdom of Desire" which was Jeff's last
with TOTO.

I LOVE what Greg brings to this tune.

Enjoy!
T
Jeff was an incredible drummer that everone said was at the top when it came to groove and feel.
For 20 years Gregg has been my favorite and I think he also has great feel, groove and emotion. I have seen him over 100 times live and when I think I have seen it all, he pulls something out of his hat. At the moment I have 5 cd's in the player all w/Gregg.
None of his DLR stuff either. I like DLR, but its instrumental, progressive rock and jazz/swing stuff from different artists.
He is definatly my biggest influence.

Mikey B
Old 02-14-2008, 11:07 PM

Greg's got great time, too.
I'm told that when called on to sit in for Simon on tour, Greg learned the set and just went out and did it. He stayed as true to Jeff's grooves as he could-outta respect for Jeff.
I've heard THREE different drummers play "Jake to the Bone". Jeff, Greg and Simon. Greg's version is, by far, the closer one to the original, but they each put their own stamp on that tune. I, being a beginner after so long of NOT playing, would fall apart on tha ttune.

ps: You don't back TOTO or gig with Maynard and NOT have your stuff together. Greg does! He's amazing. Somebody said they've seen him behind Pearls. Last I checked, he was playing MAPEX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeybbdrummin View Post
Jeff was an incredible drummer that everone said was at the top when it came to groove and feel.
For 20 years Gregg has been my favorite and I think he also has great feel, groove and emotion. I have seen him over 100 times live and when I think I have seen it all, he pulls something out of his hat. At the moment I have 5 cd's in the player all w/Gregg.
None of his DLR stuff either. I like DLR, but its instrumental, progressive rock and jazz/swing stuff from different artists.
He is definatly my biggest influence.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretschgal1 View Post
Greg's got great time, too.
I'm told that when called on to sit in for Simon on tour, Greg learned the set and just went out and did it. He stayed as true to Jeff's grooves as he could-outta respect for Jeff.
I've heard THREE different drummers play "Jake to the Bone". Jeff, Greg and Simon. Greg's version is, by far, the closer one to the original, but they each put their own stamp on that tune. I, being a beginner after so long of NOT playing, would fall apart on tha ttune.

ps: You don't back TOTO or gig with Maynard and NOT have your stuff together. Greg does! He's amazing. Somebody said they've seen him behind Pearls. Last I checked, he was playing MAPEX.
Gregg has always been into writing out little chart guides to get through a big group of songs. But at the same time I am sure he was very familiar w/Jeff's work already.
Plus Gregg has the feel need to be asked to play what Jeff did in the first place.

Gregg was w/Yamaha w/Maynard and the first DLR cd. He went to Pearl in 1987 till about 94. Then went to Slingerland for a short period and has been w/Mapex for 10-11 years.

Mikey B
Old 02-15-2008, 01:39 AM

yeah... I have the Submarine album.
he's is great I love his style and he can play anything pretty much from jazz to rock and some crazy Time Signatures as well.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTIMATEDRUMMER View Post
yeah... I have the Submarine album.
he's is great I love his style and he can play anything pretty much from jazz to rock and some crazy Time Signatures as well.
Your right. Gregg can play a lot of different styles.

Check out "In The Eye Of Time" by Vox Tempus. Progressive rock, different time signatures, cool grooves and weird beat displacements. The band has a website that has video's of Gregg in the studio.
For jazz/swing check out "Gentle Giants" by Dan Ramsey. More great work by Gregg.
Both have a place in my cd player.

Mikey B

Last edited by mikeybbdrummin; 02-15-2008 at 06:17 AM.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:52 PM

Hello...........................................In over a year, not one drummer here has anything good.............or bad (not likely though) for that matter to say about Gregg and his drumming?......................................... ..............Anybody???

Mikey B
Old 03-12-2009, 06:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Hello...........................................In over a year, not one drummer here has anything good.............or bad (not likely though) for that matter to say about Gregg and his drumming?......................................... ..............Anybody???
LOL....yeah he's a beast!
Do you know if he still does those drum worshop days....I thought about doing it last summer...
Old 03-12-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinearDrummer View Post
LOL....yeah he's a beast!
Do you know if he still does those drum worshop days....I thought about doing it last summer...
I would guess he does it during the year when he has the time. Just tough finding out when. I spoke w/Gregg's sister not long ago and told her that he needs to update his website; gigs, clinics, lessons, CD's he's done and so on. She said she will mention it to him.
He also has a Myspace thats new to him and I didn't see much info on it. Hopefully he will get his site up to date.

Mikey B
Old 04-07-2009, 06:58 PM

Gregg has recently played on a cd called Instrumentality. Headed by guitar player Marco Cardona. It, hence the name, is all Instrumental. To me it is Vai, Satraini and Hoey all rolled in to one w/a small hint of Malmsteen. If its your cup of tea you can check it out at Amazon.
Gregg also played on another cd w/Marco where the band and cd are both called Deep Forest.

Mikey B
Old 04-07-2009, 08:04 PM
Administrator

I saw him with Ringo's All Starr band a few months ago and he had quite the presence.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I saw him with Ringo's All Starr band a few months ago and he had quite the presence.
He also did the ELO Zoom tour in 2001 and it was the same type of gig. All for the song. Dynamics, nothing over the top. Just holding it down like Gregg does so well.

Mikey B
Old 06-09-2009, 06:46 PM

Happy 50th B-day to Gregg!!!
When I met him he was 30 and I was 20.
Our b-day's our 2 days apart (6-7).
It's 20 years later and w/all the great drummers to show up on the scenes over the last 10 years Gregg is still holding his own and his career is at top of it's game.
20 years have past and he's still and will always be my #1 influence.
Happy B-day Gregg. May you be blessed w/50 more.

Mikey B
Old 07-24-2009, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Happy 50th B-day to Gregg!!!
When I met him he was 30 and I was 20.
Our b-day's our 2 days apart (6-7).
It's 20 years later and w/all the great drummers to show up on the scenes over the last 10 years Gregg is still holding his own and his career is at top of it's game.
20 years have past and he's still and will always be my #1 influence.
Happy B-day Gregg. May you be blessed w/50 more.
Hi guys! Gregg is on my record, yes, if you wanna have a listen check out some of my videos on my channel: http://www.youtube.com/kikothecat
Here is Gregg playing some very nice groove...
Cheers!
Marco
Old 07-25-2009, 06:14 AM

[quote=Marco Cardona;597084]Hi guys! Gregg is on my record, yes, if you wanna have a listen check out some of my videos on my channel: http://www.youtube.com/kikothecat
Here is Gregg playing some very nice groove...
Cheers!
Marco[/quote

Welcome Marco!!!!
If you look a few post's up, I mentioned your Cd's that Gregg played on. You BOTH have great playing on the Cd's. I have sent the links to friends to check out as well. I look forward to your next adventure w/Gregg.
Mike.

Mikey B
Old 03-09-2010, 12:43 AM

Gregg has a few projects going on. Two available are Randy Jacobs-Return of Randy Dynamite (Funk) and Norm Stockton-Tea In The Typhoon. (Jazz-Jazz/Funk)
Two in the works are Eternal Descent. It's a comic book that will also have a Cd released.(Melodic Rock) And the other is Grand Illusion-Brand New World (Journey/B.English/Giant)

Gregg played a few different styles in these projects. I personally bought the Randy Jacobs CD at a Cd release "party" that Gregg played last week. It's some solid funky drumming by Gregg. With some of his signature licks. If you like Funky/Blues, check it out!!!

Mikey B