DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 02-06-2008, 11:51 PM

Default Problems in finding a low SD-hardware

Hello Drummerworld.
I'm a new user of this site, and I hope this is the right section to post my thread into.

I have a little problem with my new, homemade club-drum kit. 12,13,16". My 12" SD is 9" deep and that gives me a little problem, which seems to be a tough nut to crack. I would really like the kit to be low, but my SD-hardware is just too high.

So, here is the question. Do you guys know a SD-stand which is unusualle low, i've heard about a pearl-stand, but it was expensive in Denmark, where I'm living. So, any piece of advice is welcome.

I hope you can/want to help me.

Best regards,

Viktor Reddersen
Old 02-07-2008, 12:18 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Problems in finding a low SD-hardware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktor Reddersen View Post
Hello Drummerworld.
I'm a new user of this site, and I hope this is the right section to post my thread into.

I have a little problem with my new, homemade club-drum kit. 12,13,16". My 12" SD is 9" deep and that gives me a little problem, which seems to be a tough nut to crack. I would really like the kit to be low, but my SD-hardware is just too high.

So, here is the question. Do you guys know a SD-stand which is unusualle low, i've heard about a pearl-stand, but it was expensive in Denmark, where I'm living. So, any piece of advice is welcome.

Best regards,

Viktor Reddersen

So the real question back would be "How low"? You're probably out of the game with 9" snare drum. You may find happiness using a multi-clamp to a cymbal stand with the top half of your snare stand.
Old 02-08-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktor Reddersen View Post
Hello Drummerworld.

Best regards,

Viktor Reddersen

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...and?sku=446386

I've used one of those for a 14 x 9.... worked good.... still using it with a basic parallel clamp to get a bit of offset between the basket and the stand.

Parallel clamp may also work for you off the base of just about any snare stand.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member

I had the same problem once and I solved it by getting a hacksaw and shortening the sliding tube. Depending on the type of stand you have, you may not be able to do this. Just be sure you really want to do this because this mod cannot be reversed!

In my experience, though, most stands go higher than they need to and don't go as low as they need to.

Your kit sound neat. Why don't you start a thread in the Your Gear section? Don't forget photos and specs.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:54 PM
Platinum Member

DW's snare stand goes pretty low, & Ludwig's stand with the ball adjust goes really low.
Pearl has a low version of the stand that has the soft grip rubber thing (has the hole in it).
The Ludwig stand might go down the lowest, and yes, you can cut a bout 2" off the tube too.
I'm always cutting the stand tubes.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:59 PM
Platinum Member

had the same problem once and I solved it by getting a hacksaw and shortening the sliding tube.

Make sure you measure correctly if you going to cut the base of any stand, cymbal, snare ,even stool. Be careful doing this, cut the tube too short and the legs may hit the top of the stand.

Cutting the top section of the snare stand wouldn't make any sense, unless it won't 'bottom out' into the base. The base of the stand usually needs to be shortened, that's where you could blow it with the legs not being able to fold properly.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
had the same problem once and I solved it by getting a hacksaw and shortening the sliding tube.

Make sure you measure correctly if you going to cut the base of any stand, cymbal, snare ,even stool. Be careful doing this, cut the tube too short and the legs may hit the top of the stand.

Cutting the top section of the snare stand wouldn't make any sense, unless it won't 'bottom out' into the base. The base of the stand usually needs to be shortened, that's where you could blow it with the legs not being able to fold properly.
Cutting the tube that sticks down from the basket is the simplest way to lower the stand - maybe the only way to lower a stand. Usually, this male tube is so long that it bottoms out and has a few inches sticking up above the female tube collar. By chopping off the correct amount of tubing, you may lower the overall height of the basket. Many snare stands are designed to accommodate a standing player so they have plenty of tubing.

You are right that careful measurement is important. If the base of the stand is of a certain height, you could chop down the tube to where the basket touches the collar and it might still be too high, especially with a deep drum.

It would be much harder to decrease the profile of the tripod base, as you'd also have to remove and reinstall the tightening collar. I've successfully done that with hi-hat stands but it's major surgery, at least for drum hardware, but not too hard if you have the right tools. You need to think it through or the legs might not be able to collapse completely.

If you're going to get a new stand, I would suggest one with a low-profile base. That will give you the most flexibility for lowering the top tube.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:57 AM
fourstringdrums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Cutting the tube that sticks down from the basket is the simplest way to lower the stand - maybe the only way to lower a stand. Usually, this male tube is so long that it bottoms out and has a few inches sticking up above the female tube collar. By chopping off the correct amount of tubing, you may lower the overall height of the basket. Many snare stands are designed to accommodate a standing player so they have plenty of tubing.

You are right that careful measurement is important. If the base of the stand is of a certain height, you could chop down the tube to where the basket touches the collar and it might still be too high, especially with a deep drum.

It would be much harder to decrease the profile of the tripod base, as you'd also have to remove and reinstall the tightening collar. I've successfully done that with hi-hat stands but it's major surgery, at least for drum hardware, but not too hard if you have the right tools. You need to think it through or the legs might not be able to collapse completely.

If you're going to get a new stand, I would suggest one with a low-profile base. That will give you the most flexibility for lowering the top tube.
Well that depends. On alot of stands, the top of the tube below the basket hits the female tube first and keeps you from putting it any lower.

Opening the legs of the stand wider or opening the basket itself wider can help a bit. I find that my Gibraltar 8606 flat base stand goes very low and should accommodate the 9" depth. I would think that their other series wouldn't be any different.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:25 PM
Platinum Member

What height do you want the top of the snare to be (from the floor)?

I always use a tube cutter when cutting down stand sections--no hacksaws--yikes!

It makes a straight, clean cut.
You just put the little wheel blade exactly where you want it, put a little cutting oil on it, run it around the tube a couple times, tighten, run it around, etc... till it goes through the tube.
it's super easy.

You can get them at decent hardware stores, and they aren't that much money, just get a good one.

Spend the extra buck or 2 between types. It's worth it, believe me.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
What height do you want the top of the snare to be (from the floor)?

I always use a tube cutter when cutting down stand sections--no hacksaws--yikes!

It makes a straight, clean cut.
You just put the little wheel blade exactly where you want it, put a little cutting oil on it, run it around the tube a couple times, tighten, run it around, etc... till it goes through the tube.
it's super easy.

You can get them at decent hardware stores, and they aren't that much money, just get a good one.

Spend the extra buck or 2 between types. It's worth it, believe me.
For a lot of people, a tube cutter is a fairly exotic tool, although it will do a cleaner cut than a hacksaw. I usually use a hacksaw but I do the cutting in a miter box to keep things straight. I then follow up with a Dremel or bench grinder brush to remove burrs.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:04 AM
Platinum Member

Cutting the tube that sticks down from the basket is the simplest way to lower the stand -

Only if its an option, which it usually isn't with quality stands.

It would be much harder to decrease the profile of the tripod base, as you'd also have to remove and reinstall the tightening collar. I've successfully done that with hi-hat stands but it's major surgery, at least for drum hardware, but not too hard if you have the right tools.

Its the same as any collar. The collars are either held on with a set screw, glued (usually both) or a roll pin. All easy to take off.

Simple procedure and a few simple tools (allen wrench, towel), will get them apart. You'll may need a sharp object and mallet to remove roll pins, nothing major.
Look for and remove set screws and pins before twisting, pulling.

I usually use a hacksaw but I do the cutting in a miter box to keep things straight

Hacksaw blades still bend in a mitre-box, its the blade thats causes uneven cuts. Never use a hacksaw if you want a straight cut on metal, its not made for that purpose and don't expect a straight cut if you do use one (hence the name Hack).

Tube cutter less work, cleaner and cheaper than a hack saw and mitre box if you need to buy one or the other.