DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 09-19-2007, 12:27 AM

Default Jimmy Bower

I've recently been getting back into Down. A Bustle in The Hedgerow is a masterpiece btw, but on their new album "Over The Under" has blown me away aswell, so much so that I plan to buy it post-leak.

Anyway Jimmy has some massively tasteful licks and beats, and maybe because he's also quite a proficient guitarist, his playing compliments the melodies perfectly.

He's just catapulted himself into my list of most influencial players.

Anyone, by any chance does anyone known what his cymbal setup is like, I know he uses Sabian, but just not what lines and sizes, he has some beautiful sounds on the new and old records, and I haven't been able to find anything on his setup.

Any info, anyone??
Old 09-23-2007, 06:52 PM

Default Re: Jimmy Bower

Hi, Im a fan on his also, I think he has great taste in what he plays.

The only thing I can tell you about his setup is that he sold a set of his on ebay a while back.

Bower Power!
Old 09-23-2007, 08:09 PM
Platinum Member

Jimmy is one of my favorite drummers. Down is a local NO band, and one of my favorites. I haven't had a chance to check the new album yet but I'm eagerly awaiting it. A good friend of mine was his drum tech for a year with Down. I've seen him live as the drummer for Down and as one of the guitarists for EyeHateGod. I've met him a couple of times but he's not a personal friend of mine. I can ask my friend about his cymbal setup. I'm sure he'll know. I know he uses Coated Emperor heads on his toms (13" and 16"), as I have a couple of his left overs that I have used for my set.

His style is a good example of the NO sludge metal (which is very similar to old Sabbath- slower tempo metal with lots of blues and country influence / very heavy). Do you like the other bands like EyeHateGod, Superjoint Ritual, Crowbar, etc... My friends recently told me about Suplex but I haven't heard them yet. They played up the street last weekend but I couldn't make it.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:43 PM
Platinum Member

Alright, well my friend just got back to me about Jimmy's cymbals. He said for the Down II record and the 2002 tour he was using Sabian AAX. He's not sure if he still uses them though. My friend said Jimmy was talking about trying out a new brand last year, but couldn't remember the brand. I take it wasn't one of the big three because he probably would have remembered that.

I'm listening to their new tracks on their MySpace page now. Really great stuff. The new album isn't available until tomorrow and I may just have to go spend the money even though I'm broke. hahahah I am aggravated though because they aren't even playing in NO... When I saw Superjoint play most of the people in the club were personal or indirect friends of the band, and it was a fairly low key show. I'm wondering if Down is doing the same but I'd imagine they'd advertise the show for their new album.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:59 AM

Sleepy, as always full of useful info. Thanks for that. Yur a lucky dude, I wish I had at least a few avenues to some of my big influences.

I've been listening to the new album and I'm actually gonna spend the money because its f***in amazing. I don't think I really care about the cymbal setup anymore but more about why he chose to make those sounds in that context, great rhythm choice, and great choice of colors to add to the music.

As regards, his other interests, I am a fan of Crowbar, not really a fan of EyeHateGod(Never really gave them much of a chance, I suppose I'm more an Anselmo-ite). That being said, Down better come over here. I dunno if its just my taste in music but in the last year, the only bands I've felt compelled to see were Slayer and Mastodon.

BOWER POWER INDEED!!!

edit : Superjoint as amazing!!
Old 09-25-2007, 02:38 AM
Platinum Member

Ya man, his drumming is just reminiscent of that old metal. It didn't have to be fast. A lot of times he plays at like half-speed to give more umph to the parts. But then there were parts where he'd throw in a real nice fill and it would just keep you interested. My friend is heavily influenced by that style (but again, a lot of that comes from old Sabbath and Zepplin). You can hear it in my friend's drumming, and their whole band for that matter. It influences my drumming and some guitar parts to a degree. It's definitely some of my favorite stuff to listen to.

Last edited by SLEEPY BRiGHT EYEZ; 09-27-2007 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:43 PM

One of my favorites, but I'm more familiar with his guitar playing as I've been a fan of eyehategod for years. Sadly, I've never gotten to see him play drums or guitar with any of his bands. Would love to see him on the drums live some time.